Author Topic: Bill Walker and JR Giddens  (Read 2404 times)

Bill Walker and JR Giddens
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »

Offline dano313

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 5
Went to my first NBDL game this past Sunday (Utah vs. Iowa).  Got to the arena about 45 minutes before tip and both teams were going through shootaround.  Lots of C's fans in the arena.  Unfortunately Giddens was on the bench in street clothes with a small brace on his right hand.  Overheard him telling someone it was just sore and he'd be fine with a little rest.  Walker wasn't on the court for shootaround so I got nervous that I'd miss out on both of them (thankfully he came out with the team just before tip).
Walker started out the game defending Alando Tucker, did a good job denying him the ball and getting through screens.  He rebounded well in traffic.  The rest of the game he played other small forwards for Iowa, nothing too remarkable against these guys. 
Walker's offensive game was just what he showed in preseason- strong physical drives and emphatic finishes at the hoop.  He was doubled all game and three times got the ball 15 feet out, powered through the double team and rose up in traffic for strong slams.  Utah's offense was really poor (maybe they were just missing Giddens) and there was too much one on one play and very little room for Walker to work.  He didn't try any mid-range jumpers but did hit a nice runner going to his left at the foul line.  Highlight of the game was an amazing Nate Robinson-esque slam off a rebound.
Although he was inactive, Giddens was fun to watch on the bench.  Always the first to jump up and cheer a great play on the floor, grabbing towels for guys subbing out, even leaping off the bench to help a guy up off the floor after a great hustle play. 
It was nice to see these guys up close.  It'd be a shame if we let Walker get away in a move to shore up the bench this season, he's got some special skills that won't be easy to replace.

Re: Bill Walker and JR Giddens
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
cool. we need a wing that can knock down the j right now though.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
THanks for the game review (TP). Why did JR Giddens get no time on the dance floor? Leads me to believe he won't amount to anything.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Hey Dano, thanks for that report! Good stuff!

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
 I cant stand how neither of these guys are being worked into our rotation...Bill walker is so much smarter than tony allen and better than scal...
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
THanks for the game review (TP). Why did JR Giddens get no time on the dance floor? Leads me to believe he won't amount to anything.

?

The OP mentioned Giddens was nursing an injury.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:19:33 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bill Walker has a pretty decent jumper, and can be streaky from 3. watched utah play tulsa and it was probably the best performance from bill yet. there were times where its like he wasn't defended at all, but in reality he was hitting highly contested shots. a big part of this performace was him staying out of foul trouble as well, that seems to be his major issue so far.

27 pts, 6 reb, 2 ast, 3 stl, 10-16 FG, 2-3 3PT, 5-8 FT.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:35:16 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I would make Walker return to the team. We need a 3 that can defend and score, why don't we test what we already before trying to trade for someone?

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Bill Walker, I believe, will stay in our roster. Just imagine him playing alongside PP. Either one of them will play SG or SF while on the floor. He'll be an asset if develop him further as our defensive guy on shooters/slashers like Kobe or Lebron. Youth, athleticism, talent and just size(against SGs/SFs)will be his big plus.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:39:47 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I really like Giddens' game, from what little I've seen so far.  I would hope he stays on the roster to replace Tony Allen.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 08:02:25 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
im going to be very disapointed if either of these guys go anywhere for some mediocre center whose at the end of his career. i've been high on Bill Walker for so long now. and JR could average 7+ Rebs a game from our backcourt, thats the type of thing that we could have used the other night in portland.  :-\