Author Topic: Play Rondo more  (Read 8449 times)

Re: Play Rondo more
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
if were going to treat him like he's made of glass his enitre career, we should trade him now because he won't be able to be the main focus of this team once GPA have moved on.

Lots of PG's take hits every night. Rajon has proven to be very durable so far.

i don't think that playing him 35 MPG equates to treating him like he is made of glass.

it is often noted that Rondo takes particularly hard hits to the floor on his drives...that's what i'm seeing anyway. and i think it would be prudent to not overdo it with him. it's a really long season.

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Has anyone mentioned that pairing Rondo and Tony Allen is... well, unorthodox? Any Rondo+Tony backcourt needs to be complemented with Ray and Garnett to spread the floor. That's a big reason it's difficult to play Rondo more minutes.

Anyway, I don't see the point. Let him be rested for the play-offs.

One more reason that TA is a bad fit for this team. 

I think Rondo is playing well enough to warrant another 4-5 minutes on the floor (around 35-36 minutes a game) and I don't think it will effect his playoff performance.

not to be too nit-picky, but 4-5 more mins for R puts him in the 37-38 range....which i really think is pushing it. 35 would really be my max on him over the long haul and right now i think he is closer to 33...

i agree he could play a little more, however....

Why is 37 minutes pushing it for Rondo, but not for Paul or Ray or the 25-30 players who average that?

Close games (decided by +/-10 points) in November:
@Por
@Warriors
@LAL
@Atl
Uth
@Ind
Ind

Minutes Rondo averaged in these games: 36.5

So,what's exactly the point here? He hasn't played very well in this last road trip to the West, that's why his minutes were somewhat reduced - even though we're talking about 2 minutes per game, anyway. This conversation is mostly  about Rondo not playing in blow-out losses.

If anything, Pierce is playing too many minutes and they'll need to be reduced.

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:58 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Has anyone mentioned that pairing Rondo and Tony Allen is... well, unorthodox? Any Rondo+Tony backcourt needs to be complemented with Ray and Garnett to spread the floor. That's a big reason it's difficult to play Rondo more minutes.

I dont see what this has to do with his minutes. Ideally,as we discussed,  the SG with rajon in would be eddie playing his natural position for those extra 3-5 minutes a night, allowing him to shoot of rondo's penetration.

Eddie and Rondo is another terrible combination. There's a reason why Eddie, a natural SG, has played so many of his minutes in the NBA paired with another SG or an over-sized PG.

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I dont see what this has to do with his minutes. Ideally,as we discussed,  the SG with rajon in would be eddie playing his natural position for those extra 3-5 minutes a night, allowing him to shoot of rondo's penetration.

Eddie and Rondo is another terrible combination. There's a reason why Eddie, a natural SG, has played so many of his minutes in the NBA paired with another SG or an over-sized PG.

sorry, going to need more of an example then

"because i said so"

To explain to me why a spot up three point shooter being left wide open off penitration (exactly what ray does now) is a bad thing

Rajon/tony is a horrid combo because they both can't shoot. but what does eddie's or the PG's feeding him height have to do with wide open jump shots off dribble drive penetration?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

"because i said so"

To explain to me why a spot up three point shooter being left wide open off penitration (exactly what ray does now) is a bad thing

Rajon/tony is a horrid combo because they both can't shoot. but what does eddie's or the PG's feeding him height have to do with wide open jump shots off dribble drive penetration?

Ah, offensively there's no problem.  But House is not a starting SG because of his size, that makes him a matchup problem for his own team at his position. Rondo isn't exactly bigger, so...

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

"because i said so"

Ah, offensively there's no problem.  But House is not a starting SG because of his size, that makes him a matchup problem for his own team at his position. Rondo isn't exactly bigger, so...

the same problem with Pruitt at the SG....they're just too undersized and it puts us at a big defensive disadvantage....

Walker or Giddens are the only real alternatives on the wing right now...IMO

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I attribute the cap on Rondo's minutes to the same reason KG's minutes are capped. They play so hard, that they are less effective when on the court for too long.

We need rondo to always be on attack, which it tiring. He cannot lay back, find open spots, and hit open J's. He needs his rest time to maintain intensity.