Author Topic: Doc's coahing on the Road  (Read 8532 times)

Doc's coahing on the Road
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
This past road trip turn out to be worst than i think any of us expected.The worst i thought we would come back would be 2-2.Although we came back 1-3 i don't think the starters overall played that bad on the trip.The bench as we all know needs some regrouping but in the mean time a good coach should utilize and maxamize what he has the best he can.Personally speaking,i dont think Doc used  his    bench well over this past road trip.He left players from the second team at times in to long in games.Also he knows that we are not that long on the second unit but he continues to play small ball for longer periods of time than we can handle.

I am not a Doc-hater just feel he could have done a better coaching job over the road.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:24:01 AM by housecall »

Re: Doc's coahing on the Road
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Agreed.  Doc and the bench were horrific during this trip.  Doc seems afraid to play Pruitt against good teams.  Give the kid a shot.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Agreed.  Doc and the bench were horrific during this trip.  Doc seems afraid to play Pruitt against good teams.  Give the kid a shot.
Agree with you there to..Pruitt deserves a shot.TP

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:23:31 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The teams goes as Rondo goes. Rondo didn't go and the team got stuck with a 1-3 road record. Rondo needs to step up his play on the road. He's too good to be such a night and day player depending on whether or not it's a home game or not.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
What if Pruitt gets some minutes in the future and proves to be a bust? What's next? Doc left bench players for too long? How many minutes have the starters played? We're one of the teams in the entire league where the bench players see less minutes, especially if you discount what they get in garbage time.

Fans love to moan about the coaches micro-management. 95% of the work of the coach is done before the tip off, but, for some odd reason, fans believe those 5% - that, btw, are much harder to assess - is what matters and impacts the winning record.

Maybe you should consider that this bench is being maximized as of now. They just aren't better than this.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
rondo and KG are just as terrible on the road.
But yes, there was a point in last nights game when doc put in a pathetic lineup late in the game, we were up 2, not even a minute later we were down 6, and never recovered...truly pathetic
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What if Pruitt gets some minutes in the future and proves to be a bust? What's next? Doc left bench players for too long? How many minutes have the starters played? We're one of the teams in the entire league where the bench players see less minutes, especially if you discount what they get in garbage time.

Fans love to moan about the coaches micro-management. 95% of the work of the coach is done before the tip off, but, for some odd reason, fans believe those 5% - that, btw, are much harder to assess - is what matters and impacts the winning record.

Maybe you should consider that this bench is being maximized as of now. They just aren't better than this.

How is the bench being maximized?  Are the players being put in position to do what they do best, or are they asked to do things that are not their strengths?  

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

If he's a bust, then we move on and try something else, like try to trade him, play Sam, cut Sam and sign Marbury :-X or some other point guard, etc., but I think we should give it a try.  Won't know til you try.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The teams goes as Rondo goes. Rondo didn't go and the team got stuck with a 1-3 road record. Rondo needs to step up his play on the road. He's too good to be such a night and day player depending on whether or not it's a home game or not.

I thought Rondo played well last night and for most of the road trip. It's not his fault if Ray won't give up the ball on a fast break or that Perk has tennis rackets for hands. The team was red hot in the 1st quarter and then Doc's watch went off, House got in, and things went downhill from there.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Well, IMO, TA and Big Baby both sucked last night, and most nights this season. All second half I was wondering if Doc forgot that Leon is on the team.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Well, IMO, TA and Big Baby both sucked last night, and most nights this season. All second half I was wondering if Doc forgot that Leon is on the team.

Why is Baby first off the bench? Are they trying to showcase him?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 10:39:05 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

I thought Rondo played well last night and for most of the road trip. It's not his fault if Ray won't give up the ball on a fast break or that Perk has tennis rackets for hands. The team was red hot in the 1st quarter and then Doc's watch went off, House got in, and things went downhill from there.

I don't think Rondo played poorly Chief, but his play is indicative of the team as a whole.  Yesterday's game he had five assists and three steals in the first quarter. He finished with seven assists and three steals.  I believe he did the same thing in the GS game.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I don't think Rondo played poorly Chief, but his play is indicative of the team as a whole.  Yesterday's game he had five assists and three steals in the first quarter. He finished with seven assists and three steals.  I believe he did the same thing in the GS game.

Why did Doc take him out in the first quarter then? The guys on fire and Doc puts Eddie in. Rondo is young and could play the whole game if needed.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Why did Doc take him out in the first quarter then? The guys on fire and Doc puts Eddie in. Rondo is young and could play the whole game if needed.

Doc has said multiple times he belives in managing minutes for the entire starting 5.

I happen to agree with you that rondo could play more minutes (which would specifcly help our bench out, ball movement dies right now when eddie runs the point), but doc doesn't, so there you go.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:10:23 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

Why is Baby first off the bench? Are they trying to showcase him?

Well if he is, that certainly backfired. Somehow i don't see other teams lining up after that performance.

However, It did get KG's attention. ::)