Author Topic: Portland game shows that we need length  (Read 5679 times)

Portland game shows that we need length
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:05:05 AM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
I think this game more than any other shows that the Celtics need to acquire someone with length.  As good as Perk is on defense, he was getting abused by Oden and Aldridge.  Powe and Davis were also having difficulty against Portland's front line. Davis had 1 rebound while Powe had zero. Joe Smith or someone like him would definitely help out the team.

Re: Portland game shows that we need length
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:06:25 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I think this game more than any other shows that the Celtics need to acquire someone with length.  As good as Perk is on defense, he was getting abused by Oden and Aldridge.  Powe and Davis were also having difficulty against Portland's front line. Davis had 1 rebound while Powe had zero. Joe Smith or someone like him would definitely help out the team.

We could also use someone who can rotate defensively on the baseline. Isn't that right Glen Davis?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:07:42 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
We can use our rookies right about NOW! We need to add athleticism, and some size.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:09:09 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
We need to add athleticism, and some size.

That's true. We do need those things, but not from our rookies. We need it from Joe Smith.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:19:39 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
boston is 3 players away from repeating...the need a big, a 6-7 or 6-8 wing and a back up point....in that order.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:37:00 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
We need to add athleticism, and some size.

That's true. We do need those things, but not from our rookies. We need it from Joe Smith.

I know they are rookies, but give them a shot see how they do. With so many rookies having success this year, why not ours? At least they deserve a shot.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:40:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
We absolutely need length...although there are very few teams in the league that can give us problems with their size like Portland can.  They have 3 very good players 6'11" or taller.  I think they may be the only team in the league that can say that.  I am still MUCH more concerned with the fact that our bench perimeters cannot create their own shots, or prevent their men from getting into the lane.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I said in the off-season that we needed length at the post and at the wings. It's still true. And we also need better shooting.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" was a very popular aphorism over here during the Summer. But winning basketball requires some traits. If you don't have them, the chances of winning are drastically reduced.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:46 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I said in the off-season that we needed length at the post and at the wings. It's still true. And we also need better shooting.

"There's more than one way to skin a cat" was a very popular aphorism over here during the Summer. But winning basketball requires some traits. If you don't have them, the chances of winning are drastically reduced.

Yepp, TP.
A forward that can hit the 3-pointer would be great, ideally a good defender. A guy like Po...oh, wait.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:09:19 AM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
boston is 3 players away from repeating...the need a big, a 6-7 or 6-8 wing and a back up point....in that order.

TP. Absolutely agree. IF only we would have signed Birdman & Matt Barnes in the off season. Anderson is averaging over 2 blocks/game in just 18 minutes & Barnes is a versatile deep threat on the perimeter. Both are long, came cheap, and are exactly what we need for the 2nd unit.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 03:38:52 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

TP. Absolutely agree. IF only we would have signed Birdman & Matt Barnes in the off season. Anderson is averaging over 2 blocks/game in just 18 minutes & Barnes is a versatile deep threat on the perimeter. Both are long, came cheap, and are exactly what we need for the 2nd unit.

I guess Danny isn't the genius we thought he was, huh? Matt Barnes $1,200,000 1yr, Chris Andersen $998,398 1yr both combined cheaper than TA salary. Danny dropped the ball on this one.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

TP. Been saying that since the Dumpster Diving Summer of 2008, when Ainge and his ego made a mess of this bench.

I suspect Sam will evolve into the backup point. But the big and the wing are going to have to come, or summer is going to arrive early for this team without a serious run at 18.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
If memory serves, I believe we had an equivelent offer to Barners - he chose to go with the Suns, which is where I would choose to go on a one year deal before heading back on the market.

The season is young, and Ainge knows what he has. Right now we have a dead-eye point and an athletic slasher coming off the bench - if he benches them in favor of the young guys they lose all value on the trade market.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 08:47:53 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
If memory serves, I believe we had an equivelent offer to Barners - he chose to go with the Suns, which is where I would choose to go on a one year deal before heading back on the market.

The season is young, and Ainge knows what he has. Right now we have a dead-eye point and an athletic slasher coming off the bench - if he benches them in favor of the young guys they lose all value on the trade market.

Why would you choose to go to the Suns?  They aren't winning anything.  If anything, I would think he would go the Posey route... help a team win a championship and then cash in.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think the 1st two are real needs.  The third is just a luxury. 

I do think they can repeat with the team as it is now, it will just be much harder.