Author Topic: I don't like our bench vs quality opponents  (Read 5407 times)

Re: I don't like our bench vs quality opponents
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
We have no real scorer and are undersized upfront. Not to beat a dead horse, but DA should have made the deal to keep Posey and aquired a big that can play, not POB.

Also, TA has got to come to play. It seems to be like this guys basketball IQ is less than 70.

I just don't think we can repeat without a deal being made to shore up the bench.

You most certainly are not alone, as several of us have been saying since this bench was trashed during the summer.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I don't like our bench. Period.

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I agree with most that our bench needs length and  a few other pieces but last night lost  and the GS lost might have been prevented if Doc had made a few changes at the right time.For instance last night aganist Portland,it was obvious BBD wasn't able to cover their Bigs well on the post.He waited until we gave up the lead and the momentum of the game changed before he decided to insert KG back in the game.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 09:03:37 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Come on. You have to realize that Posey cost too much for too long. It's not Ainge's money. It is Wyc and the boys' money. Signing posey for 4/mle would've handcuffed this team so badly that we would not be able to go out and sign a vet big that we need so bad.

I think this team is in need of length in a big, which Danny knows and has expressed his concern on a few occasions. Maybe Doc is grooming POB for this emotionally. Also, Eddie House running the point is not working out. I wish Lue would've taken the vet min to play for us. I bet he wishes he did now, instead of rotting away on the Milwaukee bench. Skiles is in love with Ridnour for some reason.

Teams are exploiting TA now. They are backing off of him because he can't shoot and he is driving right into their defense, which is waiting for him 3 ft from the rim, which is seemingly the only place that he can score. Time to give Giddens or Walker a try. The bench can't get much worse than it has been lately.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
What's worse is the bench seems to be getting worse as the season progresses. Something has to happen or the bench will be the death of us eventually.

House is the player I thought he was. Tony is the player I knew he was. BBD isn't as talented as some people thought he was. Powe the only player off the bench I like has been MIA for a while now.

Doc needs to start thinking about making some changes. When the vets you love aren't giving your team what it needs to win, at what point do you look to young players? Pruitt has looked ready to contribute, and the rookies have been coasting through the cake Walk that is the D-league. I'm not saying play all of them, but give at least one of them a real chance. Some thing has to change with our bench.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 09:23:16 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Come on. You have to realize that Posey cost too much for too long. It's not Ainge's money. It is Wyc and the boys' money. Signing posey for 4/mle would've handcuffed this team so badly that we would not be able to go out and sign a vet big that we need so bad.

I think this team is in need of length in a big, which Danny knows and has expressed his concern on a few occasions. Maybe Doc is grooming POB for this emotionally. Also, Eddie House running the point is not working out. I wish Lue would've taken the vet min to play for us. I bet he wishes he did now, instead of rotting away on the Milwaukee bench. Skiles is in love with Ridnour for some reason.

Teams are exploiting TA now. They are backing off of him because he can't shoot and he is driving right into their defense, which is waiting for him 3 ft from the rim, which is seemingly the only place that he can score. Time to give Giddens or Walker a try. The bench can't get much worse than it has been lately.

The goal is to win Championships NOW. The Big 3 have a limited window, and when DA made the deal for KG and RA he sacrificed the longterm for short-turn success. The best chance of a repeat was with Posey resigning. It would have been worth the extra year and Posey could have been used as an expiring contract in 4 years.

The reward far outweighed the risk of letting him walk and going into the season with TA and no PJ as the biggest holes on your bench.Fiscal responsibility should have had no place in that decision, given the choices already made for the short term and a Championship run.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 09:56:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

The goal is to win Championships NOW. The Big 3 have a limited window, and when DA made the deal for KG and RA he sacrificed the longterm for short-turn success. The best chance of a repeat was with Posey resigning. It would have been worth the extra year and Posey could have been used as an expiring contract in 4 years.

The reward far outweighed the risk of letting him walk and going into the season with TA and no PJ as the biggest holes on your bench.Fiscal responsibility should have had no place in that decision, given the choices already made for the short term and a Championship run.

Agree with Birdman.  Posey could have been traded in his final year.  He would have been an attractive expiring contract, reasonable salary, plus a great locker room guy.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i just think it's funny how many people say "posey was'nt worth it" and they have no idea WHY he is supposedly not worth it. i'm pretty sure ainge himself would admit winning a title would be worth sacraficing a small bit of the future. i'm 99 percent sure that ainge's reasons for posey not being worth it is completely different from reasons most people say.i simply CAN'T believe we won't make some kind of deal. there is someone ainge is ready to wrangle in with talent and BRAINS. posey, and for the most part his replacement, tony are pretty much the two extremes of bball IQ. you know ainge sees this. danny hates to lose.