Author Topic: Why does Donny Marshall think he's relevant?  (Read 15011 times)

Re: Why does Donny Marshall think he's relevant?
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
His opinions are his opinions though, no matter how long he played or who he played with. They're not more or less valid than yours or mine.

I completely disagree. Why should I reckon any kind of validity to the opinions of who says things like "oh yes, John Salmons. Well you know, Salmons is purely an offensive guy, not much else"? This is clearly someone with little to none basketball knowledge. So, why should anyone care about his basketball-related opinions? Not all opinions are born equal. Some deserve our attention; others don't.

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
His opinions are his opinions though, no matter how long he played or who he played with. They're not more or less valid than yours or mine.

I completely disagree. Why should I reckon any kind of validity to the opinions of who says things like "oh yes, John Salmons. Well you know, Salmons is purely an offensive guy, not much else"? This is clearly someone with little to none basketball knowledge. So, why should anyone care about his basketball-related opinions? Not all opinions are born equal. Some deserve our attention; others don't.

YIKES!  Are you seriously going to take one statement from a man who makes tens of thousands of recorded statements a year and declare, "This is clearly someone with little to none basketball knowledge."  Really?  Is that fair?

Re: Salmons  Isn't it possible that Salmons is purely an offensive guy at this point in his career, taking on the offensive burden on a terrible team because there's nobody else available to take such a burden and that taking that burden has caused him to play less effective defense?  Isn't that possible?

Re: Donny  He sure ain't Tommy, but I enjoy his insight nonetheless.  He knows the league and the players, can communicate at a high level, works hard at his craft as both an announcer and studio analyst, and critiques players when necessary (which is a hard line to walk for ex-players).  He's better than 85% of the rest of the League's color analysts, and the people with League Pass know what I'm talking about. 

Re: Is Donny a know-it-all?  Who cares?  He's paid to speak and when you're paid to speak it's imperative that you come off as sounding like you know what you're talking about...or why should people be listening?  Donny's an up-and-coming broadcasting and I'm enjoyed his era at Comcast. 
Folly. Persist.

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 11:44:26 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
He thinks he's relevant because he's the third string local broadcaster for the best basketball team. A better question is why is Donny Marshall the best that CSN can get. In fact outside of Mike and Tommy the rest of the staff is pretty poor.

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 11:47:24 PM »

Offline The Incredible Hulk

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
He thinks he's relevant because he's the third string local broadcaster for the best basketball team. A better question is why is Donny Marshall the best that CSN can get. In fact outside of Mike and Tommy the rest of the staff is pretty poor.

Very well put.

Donny is the worst color commentator in the NBA.

PERIOD.

I'm sorry, but I think the greatest franchise in sports can do MUCH better than this guy as a color commentator.

But with that said, he is pretty good as a studio analyst (especially because he doesn't know when to stop talking). I don't mind him as a studio analyst as I can take 5 minutes of his ego stroking, name dropping hyperbole. But, an entire game worth of his non-stopping talking has me banging my head on the floor.

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »

Offline rrc589

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

So all the rest of his opinions are not valid because of one statement he made about about John Salmons?

The guy played four years of D1 college ball at UConn and spent 5 years in the NBA and you are claiming that he "clearly has little to no basketball knowledge"

Are you reading what you're typing before you post?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:50:32 AM by rrc589 »

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

So all the rest of his opinions are not valid because of one statement he made about about John Salmons?

The guy played four years of D1 college ball at UConn and spent 5 years in the NBA and you are claiming that he "clearly has little to no basketball knowledge"

Are you reading what you're typing before you post?

Yeah. He's clearly the kind of person who prefers to emit an opinion, no matter how stupid it can be, than admitting he doesn't know the issue or just stay silent.

Appeals to authority, the kind of thing you are seemingly used to buy, don't sell with me. Lots of ex-players, with much better careers than Marshall, don't know the game and are illiterate re: the current NBA. 

How do you know that was the only insane statement he made? You clearly believed him on that one.

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
so donny's kinda the brian scalabrine of broadcasting...

he's under contract and not leaving...we really don't want him, but every now and then he does something worthwhile...he's got a few "tangibles" that he offers occasionally...he's an easy target to pick on...we really do wish he were gone...but if he were some might actually miss him.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
I think  Donny is learning on the fly.  For the most part, we'd rather listen to Tommy or Cousy.  Their careers have credibility when they refer to them while Donny's doesn't.  I think the only mistake Donny makes (and he makes it way too often) is when he continually makes reference to his pedestrian career to make a point.  He knows the game.   He needs to find a  different way to parlay his knowledge.

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
how nice...donny sharing a story of how he text messaged mutombo.  ::)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 11:28:46 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
how nice...donny sharing a story of how he text messaged mutombo.  ::)
I bet money his fav 5 changes daily :)

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 11:30:44 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
119 NBA games where you score 293 total points gives you credibility?  :o

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i don't think most bostonians tuning in would have a clue if donny knows what he's talking about.the average boston sports fan only knows and believes whatever guys like callahan,masserotti(guys who know zero about hoops) print. i still contend that boston is one of the dumbest basketball cities in america. let's not forget what sports fans(not celtics fans first mind you) had to say about this team until we became the best in the league. i love enjoying the c's success here cuz people actually have a clue. 
  i agree that donny loves himself a wee bit more than the average commentator and i would'nt expect that to chnge unless it becomes the opinion of a callahan, masserotti etc. you know..guys who write for the sox.

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
i don't think most bostonians tuning in would have a clue if donny knows what he's talking about.the average boston sports fan only knows and believes whatever guys like callahan,masserotti(guys who know zero about hoops) print. i still contend that boston is one of the dumbest basketball cities in america. let's not forget what sports fans(not celtics fans first mind you) had to say about this team until we became the best in the league. i love enjoying the c's success here cuz people actually have a clue. 
  i agree that donny loves himself a wee bit more than the average commentator and i would'nt expect that to chnge unless it becomes the opinion of a callahan, masserotti etc. you know..guys who write for the sox.
This post is filled with generalizations that aren't true. The average Bostonian is "generally" very intelligent sports wise. Most other city residents are apathetic about their local sports teams. Not all, but a great many of them. Boston and New York are examples of two cities that are loyal to its teams (of course, in varying numbers when they're winning / losing, but there's still a strong contingent of fans either way) no matter what. Not only that, Boston fans have historically been known as informed citizens who can talk history. I have no idea why you're pulling a couple WEEI heads as a way of rounding up the nature of all Boston sports fans. I don't like this post of yours lol...

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
119 NBA games where you score 293 total points gives you credibility?  Shocked

I see. Only good professional athletes make good commentators. Joe Morgan must be the best color guy in the business.

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm watching the Kings broadcast and they have Pollard there. He's so much better than Marshall. Also, he uses some self-deprecating humour very well, something Donny could work. And he thinks C-Webb was the best player he played with, better than LeBron and KG.