Author Topic: Cousins to warriors!  (Read 15010 times)

Re: Cousins to warriors!
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2018, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm just shocked that the Pelicans were so lukewarm on bringing him back to the point of letting things decay this much.

The spite factor seems to be very real.

« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
NBA finals GSW v Celtics

GSW locker room..."what do we have to do to keep Boogie from getting thrown out of the game?"

BOS locker room..."Marcus? Make sure we get foiur fouls on this ding dong by half time."
"Shouldn't bhe a problem coach."

118 technicals + 13 ejections = GSW weaker team.

« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
According to a league source, the Celtics never made an offer for DeMarcus Cousins. They’d heard he might have interest in Boston, and by the time they started to look into it, he was a Warrior.

« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Please tell me that GSW cannot get some kind of an injury exception to sign someone while Boogie is down.

« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Please tell me that GSW cannot get some kind of an injury exception to sign someone while Boogie is down.
They cannot, his injury is known.

They could get a team exception to sign someone short term but that'd require a lot of warriors to be out where you get a short term roster exception to sign someone to allow you to field a team. But that exception is small and temporary and more an extra 16th roster slot than it is salary room.

« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
According to a league source, the Celtics never made an offer for DeMarcus Cousins. They’d heard he might have interest in Boston, and by the time they started to look into it, he was a Warrior.

Jeez... this makes it sounds like they are running around on horseback and/or relying on the post office. How long does it take to "start to look into it"

« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2018, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Boston and Philly just need to merge teams and take on the Warriors

That team is nowhere near good enough to beat the Warriors.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm just shocked that the Pelicans were so lukewarm on bringing him back to the point of letting things decay this much.

Shocked.  I would not be the surprised if people in NO are breather a huge sigh of relief.  Boogie is a fantastic talent that is probably the biggest head case in the entire league.  I can see why teams would be lukewarm about signing him.

« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Boston and Philly just need to merge teams and take on the Warriors

That team is nowhere near good enough to beat the Warriors.

I will bite on this (and lets not get bogged down on the depth chart here, i don't know would start):

Irving/Simmons
Brown/Rozier
Hayward/Reddick/Covington
Simmons/Tatum
Embiid/Horford

That team would beat Golden State

« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Shocked.  I would not be the surprised if people in NO are breather a huge sigh of relief.  Boogie is a fantastic talent that is probably the biggest head case in the entire league.  I can see why teams would be lukewarm about signing him.
Yeah its gotta be rough when the team who just traded two high draft picks for a player moves on from him like this.

Even Boogie on his good behavior for the past 1.5 years must have been a pain in the but. (or he just expected a max offer even after the injury and flipped when it didn't come)

« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach

Jeez... this makes it sounds like they are running around on horseback and/or relying on the post office. How long does it take to "start to look into it"

Zach Lowe:

DeMarcus Cousins, an All-NBA behemoth, fell into the laps of the two-time defending champions over a chaotic few hours during which the market collapsed on him -- so fast, several members of Golden State's brain trust (including some very close to the innermost sanctum) had no idea the deal was coming.

I don't think the Celtics were ever given a chance. Had the Warriors turned Cousins down, then the Celtics might have been in play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2018, 02:58:12 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Marc Stein:

League sources say that Cousins rebuffed New Orleans' offer of a two-year contract extension in the $40 million range after the injury but before the season ended. When that offer was declined, sources say, New Orleans took it off the table.
The Mavericks and the Lakers were also expected to have high-dollar interest in Cousins this summer, but those teams opted to use their cap space elsewhere. The Pelicans had not completely shut the door on bringing Cousins back, but then the opportunity to sign Julius Randle to a two-year deal at $18 million suddenly arose. The Pelicans moved quickly to come to terms with Randle — with the New Orleans star Anthony Davis reportedly serving as an aggressive recruiter.
Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed, clearing the way for the Warriors to infuriate the basketball public yet again.

https://static.nytimes.com/email-content/MSB_3554.html?nlid=86293317

« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2018, 03:21:02 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Marc Stein:

League sources say that Cousins rebuffed New Orleans' offer of a two-year contract extension in the $40 million range after the injury but before the season ended. When that offer was declined, sources say, New Orleans took it off the table.
The Mavericks and the Lakers were also expected to have high-dollar interest in Cousins this summer, but those teams opted to use their cap space elsewhere. The Pelicans had not completely shut the door on bringing Cousins back, but then the opportunity to sign Julius Randle to a two-year deal at $18 million suddenly arose. The Pelicans moved quickly to come to terms with Randle — with the New Orleans star Anthony Davis reportedly serving as an aggressive recruiter.
Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed, clearing the way for the Warriors to infuriate the basketball public yet again.

Serves those bums right for passing on Cousins. Now the Warriors are invincible and the NBA is all but lost.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2018, 03:39:46 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Marc Stein:

Why did they offer $40M soon after he blew his Achilles? Seems like a large offer for an injury of that magnitude.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2018, 03:57:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Marc Stein:

Why did they offer $40M soon after he blew his Achilles? Seems like a large offer for an injury of that magnitude.
If he even returns to 80% of his previous self $20m/year is a bargain though, which is what I assume they were thinking
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)