Author Topic: Dragan Bender Is the Prospect GMs Are Salivating Over  (Read 9412 times)

Re: Dragan Bender Is the Prospect GMs Are Salivating Over
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Scouting is so much more comprehensive then it used to be. People are looking at the top players for years before they are even eligible to be drafted.

“Bender will not become NBA draft eligible until 2016, where he will be a surefire lottery pick. Until then, I am going to soak in watching him in small gyms throughout Israel, so I can remember just exactly where he was before he makes his mark over the next two decades.”

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/11/04/eurohoops-update-spanoulis-and-teodosic-lighting-up-europe-saric-not-so-much/#lQpOVHr18FThspeo.99

For what is worth I was really exited for the possibility of drafting Porzingis with our second pick in 2014 but he pulled out of the draft.   That being said it is interesting to note that in 2014 the “experts” saw Porzingis as a mid first but Bender as a Lottery pick.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
TP

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Alcoholics drool a lot, you know.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
easy scouting job. Just watch a guy sit on the bench for most of the game. 

Re liv his previous clips, over and over again. 

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm surprised no one has name-dropped Jiri Welsch lately.  :P

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm surprised no one has name-dropped Jiri Welsch lately.  :P
Darko Millicic.

Check out them highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxUI-_DNASU

Nah I'm sure if we take Bender it's because Ainge did his homework and decided he's the best option.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:53:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 08:04:59 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2553
Good read but I'd guess that all skilled 7'1" 18 year olds have people around them who believe they are the next big thing.  It's got to be nearly impossible to gauge how a guy with Bender's size and skills will pan out in against NBA-level strength and speed.   

I wonder how DA and CBS will spin the Bender workout if he truly blows them away.  I guess you can't really lose by gushing over him (worst that could happen is LAL or Philly take him and we're left with Simmons or Ingram). But if the C's LOVE him, maybe they low ball the critique. 

This is going to be a fun month.  Looking forward to rumors with teeth.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I would be so happy of Danny just picked him.

The importance of this goes further though. We have had a few articles on Bender, word on the Murray shooting drill 25-27, I'm expecting Hield to put out something soon. The more interest these guys gather the more important that #3 pick becomes in a trade. That's still DAs first option.

He's stated before that he doesn't intend to use all the Nets picks. I think in the back of his mind is the fact that the 2017 draft is deep with top talent so maybe he can use the 2018 pick and this year to go get a star

Is this true?  I don't remember him saying that.  I remember something like he wasn't going to use all the picks but I don't remember him specifically singling out the Brooklyn picks.

I hope that's not true...with all the dregs getting better, those Nets picks should be super valuable.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

The importance of this goes further though. We have had a few articles on Bender, word on the Murray shooting drill 25-27, I'm expecting Hield to put out something soon. The more interest these guys gather the more important that #3 pick becomes in a trade. That's still DAs first option.

He's stated before that he doesn't intend to use all the Nets picks. I think in the back of his mind is the fact that the 2017 draft is deep with top talent so maybe he can use the 2018 pick and this year to go get a star

Is this true?  I don't remember him saying that.  I remember something like he wasn't going to use all the picks but I don't remember him specifically singling out the Brooklyn picks.

I hope that's not true...with all the dregs getting better, those Nets picks should be super valuable.

Well first off, take anything Ainge says with a pinch of salt.

But I do seem to remember him saying he saw it as unlikely that he would keep all the picks. By that he means he wants to add a star via trade over the next 2 years.

I'd really like him to keep the 2017 pick though, the Nets do look in a bad position and that draft has a lot of depth in the places we need it

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

But I do seem to remember him saying he saw it as unlikely that he would keep all the picks. By that he means he wants to add a star via trade over the next 2 years.

I'd really like him to keep the 2017 pick though, the Nets do look in a bad position and that draft has a lot of depth in the places we need it
Sundance you get a TP you animal.

2017 is deeper. If you guys want I could do a thread on it and talk about the players that stick out. Personally I am not super impressed with who the mocks have at 1-4 and I believe that it will change a lot.

The Nets could always overpay 2nd tier free agents this summer and their pick could end up being just inside the top 10. However, there's very good value in the middle of the lottery and possible to grab a future star.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fantastic. Maybe someone will blink and give us a real player in exchange.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 980
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Sundance you get a TP you animal.

2017 is deeper. If you guys want I could do a thread on it and talk about the players that stick out. Personally I am not super impressed with who the mocks have at 1-4 and I believe that it will change a lot.

The Nets could always overpay 2nd tier free agents this summer and their pick could end up being just inside the top 10. However, there's very good value in the middle of the lottery and possible to grab a future star.
What matters is not 2017 depth but 2017 top players. If Danny covets someone, I could see him skipping Bender and taking more of a sure thing this draft.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Darko Millicic.

Nah I'm sure if we take Bender it's because Ainge did his homework and decided he's the best option.

I agree with this but I also think that we are not interested in him.  People salivate over food but not all food is good.

Austin Ainge comes out and says we love him.  Since when has Ainge ever shown his hand prior to the draft.    All this crap is to raise the value of the pick with hype and smokescreen our true intentions.   Since the Ainge Era in 2003 take a look at these draft picks:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/draft.html

Notice any patterns,not a of foreign players there is there?

Erden, Olynyk, Melo and  Nogueira.  Out of those two of those played a lot of ball stateside.   4 out of 28. If you consider the guys who played ball over here and not overseas it is 2 for 28.   Hence, I think it is unlikely, that Ainge takes Bender.

Ainge does not show his hand.   Austin Ainge is raising his trade value and this is good for the team when we try to trade it.   Ainge wants immediate help not a project that has been not playing in Israel.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2725
Darko Millicic.

I agree with this but I also think that we are not interested in him.  People salivate over food but not all food is good.

Austin Ainge comes out and says we love him.  Since when has Ainge ever shown his hand prior to the draft.    All this crap is to raise the value of the pick with hype and smokescreen our true intentions.   Since the Ainge Era in 2003 take a look at these draft picks:

Erden, Olynyk, Melo and  Nogueira.  Out of those two of those played a lot of ball stateside.   4 out of 28. If you consider the guys who played ball over here and not overseas it is 2 for 28.   Hence, I think it is unlikely, that Ainge takes Bender.

Ainge does not show his hand.   Austin Ainge is raising his trade value and this is good for the team when we try to trade it.   Ainge wants immediate help not a project that has been not playing in Israel.

Well, some of your points are just not true. Ainge often shows his interest in players before drafting them. The latest example was Marcus Smart, where videos of Ainge exuding his enthusiasm for Marcus while watching him work out were all over the place, and Ainge was quoted saying how much he liked Marcus. That was no smokescreen, Ainge is typically legit when praising players.

As for foreign players, Ainge was the one who wanted Porzingis the year that Kristaps pulled out of the draft at the last minute, when he was even more unknown, heck, even more unknown and unproven than Bender. We used that pick on good old NCAA proven prospect James Young instead.

Ainge also had interest in Saric, and Giannis before passing on him. We certainly will regret passing on Giannis for yet another proven NCAA vet like Olynyk, we may also end up regretting passing on Saric, although the fact that he was going to stay in Europe for 2-3 seasons played a major role then. I love Smart, but Smart doesnt look like a future all-star so far. If Saric comes in and shows clear all-star level talent, then we missed again for taking the established NCAA player over the foreign prospect.

Angels interest in Bender is very likely to be legit. IF we keep the pick, I see him drafting Bender. I think the most likely outcome though is we will trade the pick for Butler.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 10:19:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Darko Millicic.

Exactly!! you get it

Bender is ways away.  It is a mystery if he can add weight/strength.   Does not look like is naturally strong, wiry strong

Danny would prob love the 76ers to take this pick and in return receive Okafor