Author Topic: Terrence Jones  (Read 4210 times)

Terrence Jones
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:55:53 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Im trying to decide how i feel about him. I feel he could become a very good player in the Lamar Odom mold. He seems to get discouraged at times but also seems to come up big in the tournament. I dont think hes anywhere near the tweener Marvin Williams is since he posseses some pretty nice handles and I dont think hes gonna necissarily be a bust like i once did, although I still am not decided on whether the Celtics should look for him in the draft. I feel like it would be really hard for him to bust with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett both on his team. I suppose his success in the nba depends on his mental toughness and where with all to fight through adversity, which he will most definetly face. What do some of you other college basketball guys think about Terrence Jones?

Re: Terrence Jones
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Seems more like an Al Harrington type than a Lamar Odom type to me.

Like Al Harrington, I think Terrence Jones could end up being one of those players who could put up very good numbers on lousy teams (17/8) but doesn't have enough impact in terms of winning and would ultimately be best served in a smaller role on a title contender. Fourth or fifth best player on a title contender. Either in a smaller role as a starter or as a game-changing force off the bench as a sixth man.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Jones will not be a starter on a championship caliber team but could develop into a great 3/4 6th man. He is stuck between 3 and 4 and like alot of players doesn't seem to want to embrace the inside game. This will limit him to a Antoine Walker (on the high end) marvin williams (on lower end) like career.

For me drafting him really depends on who else is available. I would take T Zeller, Austin River, and Terrance Ross all over jones.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:12:46 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Like Al Harrington, I think Terrence Jones could end up being one of those players who could put up very good numbers on lousy teams (17/8) but doesn't have enough impact in terms of winning and would ultimately be best served in a smaller role on a title contender. Fourth or fifth best player on a title contender. Either in a smaller role as a starter or as a game-changing force off the bench as a sixth man.
I'm with the lamar odom comparison. I also like the antoine comparisons. Al harrington is more of a stretch four gunner. Jones is a skilled rebounder that can pass scribbler and play d. Sometimes he falls in love with his j but when he slashes abd posts up he's very good.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not very high on him when it comes to NBA expectations.

I think he's too much of a tweener to me and I don't think he has the speed to play the 3, nor has a true 4's game although the power forward position has certainly changed in recent years. 

IMO, lot of uncertainty with this kid.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I'm a big Terrence Jones guy, i think he has the attitude, tools, and confidence to make it as an NBA starter, but the sulking has got to stop soon...

Calipari reminded us that he’s not a machine or a computer, and everyone has bad games, and this is true.

But if you’re supposed to be a top-three player in the nation, as Calipari has proclaimed, and you’ve changed your habits and focus, as Calipari has proclaimed, your “bad” game should not look THIS bad: three shots, four points, one rebound and six turnovers in 28 minutes.

“He absolutely gave us zero today,” Calipari said.

Jones was weak going for rebounds. He broke off plays and tried to do his own thing. He just wasn’t there. UK’s leading scorer was non-existent when it needed him most.

That all came in an early season loss to Indiana.  Jones absolutely vanished in that game.  Again, i would love to see him in green, but even i'll admit there are going to be a lot of growing pains with him, similar to DeMarcus Cousins.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
If we can get him, there should be no hesitation.  He can definitely play the 3 in the NBA.  He has a little Pierce to his game.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Terrence Jones is still around, I think that guy is too talented to not take a jump at.  I understand all the issues that people have mentioned about him, but his athleticism and skill level just stand out as a level above in college games. 

The really good news here is that the fact that we are discussing the possibility of Terrence Jones being around late in the first round points to how incredibly deep this draft is.  Danny's going to have some hard choices to make.  There are a ton of really good looking ballers out there in college hoops this year.  And, we haven't even started looking at internationals, yet.  Some good overseas guys always seem to emerge a little closer to draft day.

And, we've got four of them.  I'm excited for this draft.  Danny's going to be able to do some big things. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Agree with all of this (with the caveat, that he has the talent to be an All-Star if he gets his head straight...but I think Harrington is his more likely ceiling).  But for a mid first round pick, that is a heck of a talent to be able to get.  Harrington has been a valuable piece of some good teams, before and after his time with the Knicks.

I am a big Jones fan, and would be ecstatic if the C's pick him. 

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd jump all over him if he was there when we pick. I admit I don't watch a lot of college ball, but the guy has been impressive every time I've seen him. He plays strong, is a solid athlete, seems to have a great bbiq, I think he's a sure thing with decent upside. I have to admit that I do hate tweeners and im not sure if he's a 3 or a 4. I'd like him a lot more if he was a 4, also capable of defending the position.

Re: Terrence Joness
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 03:05:37 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I saw one of his high school games on ESPN and he was a do-everything point forward at that time.  He'll show glimpses of that at Kentucky but I think Calipari keeps some of that under wraps, not without justifications because I'm not sure Jones' handle is good enough to play the point forward style at the college level.

Anyway, he's versatile and I like the effort he usually gives, which is something he gets knocked for.  My biggest concern about him is how is he going to score?  He's a pretty lousy outside shoot, with a slow set shot and has shown almost zero ability to shoot from outside off the dribble.  When he does drive to the hoop, he's not a great finisher around the basket.  His post game is very basic and I think unlikely to succeed in the NBA. 

I like his passing, rebounding but I think he's like a 50 percent true shooting guy and that's going to make it tough for him to be a long-term starter.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 04:29:53 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If we are not going to resign Jeff Green then I'd love to have him.

Sure he has flaws but the kid is straight up total effort on both sides.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace