Author Topic: Typical NBA  (Read 8502 times)

Re: Typical NBA
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 12:40:25 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't have a problem with missed calls, but I do have a problem when they make a call when they didn't see it, but assume an outcome.  The out of bounds call bothered me the most.  I'd prefer they miss an out of bounds as opposed to make up something that didn't happen.  That really bothers me.

Completely agree with you.  Phantom calls via guessing, or just making stuff up, is far worse than a non call.  A non-call is just a foul that they didn't see or couldn't verify.  It's normal that refs cannot see or verify every foul in a game. 

Making up calls, or blowing the whistle because it seemed like the kind of situation in which fouls often occur, is exactly what makes for a horrible, tainted product, and it is this type of call that the league should seek to banish.  It stops the flow of the game...it makes the refs like another player on the court...it's unnatural and just awful.

How it should work
player X gets fouled and complains.  Ref can disagree, or, instead of denying there was a foul, simply responds by saying: 
A.  I didn't see it
or
B. I coudn't tell who initiated the contact there

End of discussion. 

Time to put an end to constant game stoppages via phantom calls.  There are plenty of stoppages with actual real fouls. 

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 02:17:58 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I complain about the refs not because I think they lost the Celtics any games this year(though that Houston loss might be debatable) but because I think the league has an officiating problem. I am not sure any other major American sport has as many blatantly awful and just outright wrong officiating calls or non calls on a per game basis as the NBA does. And I am not sure its even close.

True.

But why would the NBA change their ways if their ratings are high and a lot fans continue to watch NBA games?

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 02:26:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I wonder if having a fourth official would help. Probably not.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 02:52:28 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I complain about the refs not because I think they lost the Celtics any games this year(though that Houston loss might be debatable) but because I think the league has an officiating problem. I am not sure any other major American sport has as many blatantly awful and just outright wrong officiating calls or non calls on a per game basis as the NBA does. And I am not sure its even close.

True.

But why would the NBA change their ways if their ratings are high and a lot fans continue to watch NBA games?

Ratings are still high, but they are down this season.

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 03:11:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

True.

If they fixed the ref problem, perhaps the ratings go up.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 04:56:29 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The only call that still has me ticked is the out of bounds on JB call.

Yes the goaltend was a blown call but we won the jump ball and then sank a 3pointer.  So we ended up +1 out of the whole thing

....not to mention we got away with a goaltend on them as well.

At the end of the day Hayward missed an off balance layup and LeBron made a clutch shot.  That’s what lost the game

C’s didn’t win that jump. The Lakers didn’t score and then they cam down to shoot a 3. I get there are going to be bad calls in games but some of these calls were ridiculous. Did Marc Davis have money on the game? He was that bad. That T on Brad was a complete joke in that situation. Too many questionable calls by Marc Davis, either he just sucks as a ref or he is shady.

Fair enough.  There was still a missed goaltending call on us as well.  There was plenty of call that benefitted us as well.

Like I said, this game wasn’t decided by the refs.  The missed layup by Hayward and the fade-away by LeBron decided the game.
Greg

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 05:49:20 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

True.

I've been a Celtic fan since the 80s and nothing has changed, superstar players still get superstar treatment from the refs.

The only solution is to have superstar players so that your team will get superstar calls.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 06:32:20 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

True.

I've been a Celtic fan since the 80s and nothing has changed, superstar players still get superstar treatment from the refs.

The only solution is to have superstar players so that your team will get superstar calls.
TP
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:43 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Yes the goaltend was a blown call but we won the jump ball and then sank a 3pointer.  So we ended up +1 out of the whole thing

At the end of the day Hayward missed an off balance layup and LeBron made a clutch shot.  That’s what lost the game

C’s didn’t win that jump. The Lakers didn’t score and then they cam down to shoot a 3. I get there are going to be bad calls in games but some of these calls were ridiculous. Did Marc Davis have money on the game? He was that bad. That T on Brad was a complete joke in that situation. Too many questionable calls by Marc Davis, either he just sucks as a ref or he is shady.

Fair enough.  There was still a missed goaltending call on us as well.  There was plenty of call that benefitted us as well.

Like I said, this game wasn’t decided by the refs.  The missed layup by Hayward and the fade-away by LeBron decided the game.

There’s a big difference between missing a goaltend compared to calling one but then changing it to an inadvertent whistle that never existed. All changed after cry baby Lebron jumps up and down and complains. Also what’s the point of replay if you get a clear shot of the ball going off Davis but you call it Lakers ball. There was only proof it touched Davis last and yet that evidence wasn’t good enough?

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 07:09:13 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

There’s a big difference between missing a goaltend compared to calling one but then changing it to an inadvertent whistle that never existed. All changed after cry baby Lebron jumps up and down and complains. Also what’s the point of replay if you get a clear shot of the ball going off Davis but you call it Lakers ball. There was only proof it touched Davis last and yet that evidence wasn’t good enough?

If you want to play conspiracy theory that’s fine, that’s your own business.  Theis clearly fouled Davis on that loose ball that they reviewed, it should have been Lakers shooting two free throws bc they were in the penalty.  Yes it’s not reviewable so they couldn’t change it but LORD knows if the situation was reversed we would all be screaming bloody murder about it.

How about when Gordon pushed Dwight Howard out of the way on that loose ball that led to two points for us?

We can do this all day.  But when it comes down to it, if Gordon makes that layup, we most likely win the game
Greg

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 07:54:00 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Yes. I came out of yesterday believing the C’s without question could have beaten the Lakers in the Staples Center.  Hayward’s miss was agonizing.   
Hayward misses shots sometimes at the rim that simply shouldn’t happen. This was obviously contested but he should have finished.  I think he is not skilled at making decisions at the rim and thus awkwardly finds himself between dunks and layups and the indecision costs him.  A crucial 4-point swing in this case that swung the game.

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The “inadvertent whistle” stuff is getting out of hand. Did anyone see how the Mavs got jobbed?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28767183/potential-mark-cuban-discipline-wait-outcome-mavericks-protest

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 08:04:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The “inadvertent whistle” stuff is getting out of hand. Did anyone see how the Mavs got jobbed?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28767183/potential-mark-cuban-discipline-wait-outcome-mavericks-protest
Love the way Cuban is going after them. The officiating in the NBA is a complete blight upon the game.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 09:24:21 AM »

Offline estendius

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
If it's not a goal-tend, C's still has two point because of put-back. But they call a jump ball ?
What a joke.
I still hates the NBA because of rating or superstar calls BS.
But basketball is my favorite sport, so...

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yes. I came out of yesterday believing the C’s without question could have beaten the Lakers in the Staples Center.  Hayward’s miss was agonizing.   
Hayward misses shots sometimes at the rim that simply shouldn’t happen. This was obviously contested but he should have finished.  I think he is not skilled at making decisions at the rim and thus awkwardly finds himself between dunks and layups and the indecision costs him.  A crucial 4-point swing in this case that swung the game.
agreed that was a killer miss for us but to be fair to all, other than Tatum, everyone was having a bad shooting day.  add in the fact that LA's ball pressure led to a lot of TO's, bad passes and rushed offense due to using up a lot of the shot clock getting set on offense.   I think it spoke volumes for the team that even with all those issues, they were right there until the end.   If we have Kemba instead of Wanamaker and have Smart off the bench, I firmly believe we win that game by double digits.

as for the officiating, it was bad on both sides but it really looked like LA got away with a lot more, particularly AD with going over the backs of Celtics on the boards.  If they actually called that, AD would have fouled out in the first half.