Author Topic: Trade idea on draft night with Memphis: Getting M Gasol AND ZBo  (Read 4460 times)

Trade idea on draft night with Memphis: Getting M Gasol AND ZBo
« on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Admittedly, like others, I am becoming quite fascinated with the idea of possibly landing Kevin Love. However, as Minnesota has already gift wrapped us their franchise player before in KG back in 2007, I don't think they do it again.

But….the Memphis Grizzlies could be a different story. That looks like a team that's on it's way down a rebuilding phase and they got two to three players who could really turn the Celts hopes around in one year. Does anyone think Memphis does this deal on draft night?:

Celts get
Marc Gasol
Zach Randolph
Tony Allen

Memphis gets
Sullinger
Olynyk
Bass (expiring)
Jeff Green
Keith Bogans (non-guaranteed contract)
Faverani
Joel Anthony (expiring)
2014 Celts first rounder
2015 Clippers first rounder

Maybe realistic, maybe not..but I think this could be possible.

I also think you run a team of Rondo, TA, Zbo, Gasol and other pick-ups and the Celts become a very, very good team.

As for the Grizzlies, they get young players, expiring contracts and draft picks for their best 3 players, who they probably won't win anything with anyway.

Our 2014-15 opening night roster could look like this:
PG-Rondo/Pressey
SG-Bradley/Bayless/Chris Johnson
SF-Tony Allen/G Wallace
PF-ZBo
C-Marc Gasol/Iverson

Then use the MLE, LLE and whatever else to fill in the bench. We also still have a 10 mil TE, don't we?

They could also resign Kris Humphries as well
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:51:36 PM by gpap »

Re: Trade idea on draft night with Memphis: Getting M Gasol AND ZBo
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Why would another administration having traded with Boston seven years ago make Timberwolves president Flip Saunders--who actually worked for Danny as an advisor between gigs not too long ago--want to take a lesser deal now just so they're not dealing with Danny again?

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'd go with a smaller version.  Maybe, Sully, Green and a pick for Marc Gasol.

I'd still rather find a way to get Noah from Chicago.  I just think Joakim would be a great fit here.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:05:50 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I mean I dont know how feasible this is...We're basically trading half our roster...Its interesting at least. Grizzlies look to be on the cusp of another rebuild and it would be smart to trade Zbo and Gasol. If I could Id just try to keep Sullinger  and trade our 2014 pick for Gasol that'd be smarter imo.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
If a team is on its way down, why should we trade for three of its core players? We would basically become the Grizzlies except in a weaker conference and with a slightly better point guard.  I also don't think our team would be as strong as you think.  The Grizzlies really struggle with spacing, and that's with Conley and Lee (much better shooters than Rondo and Bradley, respectively) in the backcourt.  Our defense would be great with Rondo, Allen, and Gasol, but I think we would really struggle to score.  Bradley would be the only guy who's even remotely capable of spreading the floor.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If a team is on its way down, why should we trade for three of its core players? We would basically become the Grizzlies except in a weaker conference and with a slightly better point guard.  I also don't think our team would be as strong as you think.  The Grizzlies really struggle with spacing, and that's with Conley and Lee (much better shooters than Rondo and Bradley, respectively) in the backcourt.  Our defense would be great with Rondo, Allen, and Gasol, but I think we would really struggle to score.  Bradley would be the only guy who's even remotely capable of spreading the floor.

Indeed--Allen and Randolph are both already 32.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
This wouldn't make us championship contenders and this would also throw away our future. No thanks.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm definitely interested in Gasol.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
While I love both those players I don't think this puts us above either IND or MIA, making us the third best team in the east.

I don't trade the pick for them.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'd still rather find a way to get Noah from Chicago.  I just think Joakim would be a great fit here.

Your Gasol trade seems much more reasonable. I think we are giving up too much in the original deal. I would LOVE to find a way to land Noah - he is exactly the kind of player every successful team needs; but I think Thibodeau knows that...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:14:19 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

It's an interesting idea. I just think Chicago would be a tough trade partner for the Celtics because both teams are in the East.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Getting Marc Gasol would be a very good get. I'd give up Sully, Green and 1 pick for him...the Grizz would want more than that, though, I think.

Yes, I have liked Noah since his Gator days. The Bulls would have to be crazy to give him up, though.

Rondo/Pressy
Bradley/Bayless/Johnson
FA (10 mill TPE)/Wallace/other 1st
Bass/KO/MLE (Hump)
Gasol or Noah/Fav/Iverson

I think that team *could* be a contender...especially if the C's can continue to parley all those extra draft picks into upgrades down the road.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
While I love both those players I don't think this puts us above either IND or MIA, making us the third best team in the east.

I think it's hard to make a single move that will make the Celtics above either of those teams.  The best you can do is probably to do something that puts you a player away from being better than one of those teams, while retaining the assets and flexibility to have a shot at acquiring that player.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's an interesting idea. I just think Chicago would be a tough trade partner for the Celtics because both teams are in the East.

It'd probably require them to be in blow-it-up mode after determining that Derrick Rose is the new Amare.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Getting Marc Gasol would be a very good get. I'd give up Sully, Green and 1 pick for him...the Grizz would want more than that, though, I think.

Yes, I have liked Noah since his Gator days. The Bulls would have to be crazy to give him up, though.

Rondo/Pressy
Bradley/Bayless/Johnson
FA (10 mill TPE)/Wallace/other 1st
Bass/KO/MLE (Hump)
Gasol or Noah/Fav/Iverson

I think that team *could* be a contender...especially if the C's can continue to parley all those extra draft picks into upgrades down the road.

Marc Gasol would be a nice pick-up and I think a very attainable player. I do share others concern that my proposed trade offer would hurt us offensively.

Maybe drop Zbo and TA out of the equation.

Sully, Bass, our 1st round pick and Bogan's deal for Gasol and I think Memphis could say yes.

Maybe from there, we just fill in the blanks with free agent acquisitions.

Deal J Green, A Bradley, Faverani and J Anthony to Cleveland for Dion Waiters and Luol Deng in a sign and trade deal.

Also sign the other Gasol with the MLE.

He can play with his brother in Boston.

Also, resign Bayless and Humph

2014/15 opening line-up.

Rondo/Pressey
Waiters/Bayless
Deng/Wallace
P.Gasol/K Humph/Olynyk
M Gasol/(back up center via FA or our Brooklyn first round draft pick.)