Author Topic: An Off Camera KG Moment  (Read 2773 times)

An Off Camera KG Moment
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:02:01 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I watched the game at my grandparent's this evening as a couple pairs of aunts and uncles were there with their kids.    One of my moms/uncles good childhood friends was there, he's worked in the television industry for several years.  We were watching the game tonight (he had no clue about my KG affection) and after one of KG's (few) good plays, he said the following:

"You know... I was up in Minneapolis years ago doing production work for a KG interview with Cheryl Miller... most athletes I've met over the years, off camera, are absolute jerks.  But when the camera was off, the show lights down, Garnett was just the nicest guy I've ever met.  He was playing pool with Cheryl during the down time and he was hilarious.  Just a good guy."

Thought I'd share this, sorta touching on a discussion a few weeks ago about that Detroit writer saying KG was a jerk off the court.  Reaffirms my belief that KG is not someone to talk to before/during/after a game.  That is his business, and he takes it very seriously.  But this is the 3rd or 4th, out of 3 or 4, stories about random KG encounters that reflect very favorably on him.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: An Off Camera KG Moment
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »

Offline CelticsPrideKG

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
I watched the game at my grandparent's this evening as a couple pairs of aunts and uncles were there with their kids.    One of my moms/uncles good childhood friends was there, he's worked in the television industry for several years.  We were watching the game tonight (he had no clue about my KG affection) and after one of KG's (few) good plays, he said the following:

"You know... I was up in Minneapolis years ago doing production work for a KG interview with Cheryl Miller... most athletes I've met over the years, off camera, are absolute jerks.  But when the camera was off, the show lights down, Garnett was just the nicest guy I've ever met.  He was playing pool with Cheryl during the down time and he was hilarious.  Just a good guy."

Thought I'd share this, sorta touching on a discussion a few weeks ago about that Detroit writer saying KG was a jerk off the court.  Reaffirms my belief that KG is not someone to talk to before/during/after a game.  That is his business, and he takes it very seriously.  But this is the 3rd or 4th, out of 3 or 4, stories about random KG encounters that reflect very favorably on him.

Good to hear.  I'd be extremely hesitant to meet anyone I "idolized" growing up because if they didn't live up to expectations I think I'd let it effect me too much lol.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Everyone has billions of moments that make up who they are, to judge them from your one brief interaction is ridiculous, but when you keep hearing KG is a good guy, it starts to resonate...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:25:42 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

thats why more than anything KG, Ray, and Pierce deserve to win this year, three unselfish superstars. lets go team
thanks for sharing
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:36:23 AM by Change »

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Everyone has billions of moments that make up who they are, to judge them from your one brief interaction is ridiculous, but when you keep hearing KG is a good guy, it starts to resonate...

The other dimension is if you meet many people in the same situation, you can still notice trends.

TP for you, BT, thanks for sharing.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:36:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've followed KG closely for a long time, since early high school in Mauldin, SC, then to Farragut in Chi-Town, and on to Minny, and have heard of only one brief incident that was remotely negative, (and was in fact the result of standing up for someone he thought to be unfairly slighted).

Every other story or friend or coach or team-mate or reporter I've heard speak of him objectively, (and not the result of any kind of bias), has had nothing but incredibly positive, supportive, and admirable things to say about him. He is truly a rare and unique human being, and one whose kindness and philanthropy an important part of his daily life.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *