Author Topic: Does Rozier make Kyrie expendable / tradeable?  (Read 20007 times)

Re: Does Rozier make Kyrie expendable / tradeable?
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2018, 10:41:38 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd love to go back and see all those people screaming at Danny for not trading Rozier for Ibaka. 

There was a loud, vocal group convinced that Danny had screwed up that.
Ibaka becoming useless in the post season the last two years has made me very very glad we didn't make that move.

Even last year, it was pretty apparent that the suggested move was going to be extremely short-sighted & expensive and not going to be the move to get BOS over the top against CLE.

People wanted instant gratification and , luckily, Danny didn't let them have it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I still say, Brad Stevens is the guy that makes Rozier a legit starter as a PG, just as he made IT4 to become an All Star. On the other hand, Kyrie is a star for himself, without Stevens. Stevens just makes him even better.

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I have been surprised, somewhat, that people have forgotten how good Hayward is. But I guess not too surprised, given that we barely saw him in a Celtics uniform, and he hasn't played in months.

Kyrie is a different story. We are talking about the MVP of the basketball world cup in 2014 at age 22, on a team that also had Steph Curry, James Harden, and Anthony Davis; one of the most deadly scorers and ballhandlers in the league; an absolute assassin in the playoffs and a guy who hit one of the biggest shots in NBA finals history.

There is no way they are trading Kyrie in favor of keeping Rozier. We are talking about two different tiers of players here, even if you assume Rozier has the chance to be an all star. They are trading Rozier if they get anything approximating a late lottery pick, in my opinion. And I think they have a chance to get it.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Starting to become a tough question

If Kyrie = Rozier, Smart, Morris salary

Celts would lose a ton of toughness/defense without these three

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2018, 08:50:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

There is no way they are trading Kyrie in favor of keeping Rozier. We are talking about two different tiers of players here, even if you assume Rozier has the chance to be an all star. They are trading Rozier if they get anything approximating a late lottery pick, in my opinion. And I think they have a chance to get it.

What if the question is would you trade Kyrie (and salary/have capspace) in order to keep Rozier, Morris, Smart, Baynes etc.

« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2018, 09:08:40 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

What if the question is would you trade Kyrie (and salary/have capspace) in order to keep Rozier, Morris, Smart, Baynes etc.

Trading Irving will not give us cap space. That ship has sailed.  The only thing it could possibly save is luxury tax, but Wyc has already said that he's willing to pay the tax for a contender.

Irving is a better player than Rozier, and top end talent is how you win championships
I'm bitter.

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Keeping our bench players is dependent on luxury tax appetite, trading an all-star player to cut salary to retain backups is a bad plan.

I know you have an aversion to all-star talent as being overpaid, but you have to pay for production once rookie deals are over.

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Wow, why this was originally a conversation was baffling.  Why its still a conversation, ludicrous. 

« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Keeping our bench players is dependent on luxury tax appetite, trading an all-star player to cut salary to retain backups is a bad plan.

+1

not paying , the best handle closer in the NBA is a BAD move .

« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
For the right deal, yes Kyrie is tradeable.  Without Kyrie and with Hayward back, we have a team that is contending right now and is a great core for the future.  We'd have our point guard and three starting wings of the future.  The only future piece we'll be missing is the successor to Al at center.  There are a few young big men out there I'd trade Kyrie for in AD, Embiid, Towns, Porzingis, maybe Jokic or Gobert, but I'd also think about trading Kyrie for #1 overall pick (Ayton) + another future draft pick.  It'd be a risky move, but might be our only avenue to get our eventual long-term Horford replacement since we'll be over the cap and drafting in the high 20s for the foreseeable future.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I know you have an aversion to all-star talent as being overpaid, but you have to pay for production once rookie deals are over.

Should Rozier still be considered a bench player?

Who said only to retain backups? You could get a ton back for Kyrie. For example number 1s and prospects who are cheaper in the long run

My point is...lets not do anything drastic. Unless something drastic happens like this team wins it all with this unit

At this scenerio the reality is you cant keep everyonr and wyc is not going to pay horford 30 million, hayward 30, kyrie 30, brown 20 plus, tatum 20 plus...and still able to keep smart, rozier, morris etc

He may pay for the luxury tax but not at repeated highest tax bracket imo

I think its easier said than done that smart, rozier, morris can be replaced easily...minutes can be divided up fairly. Someone is bound to be underutilized/disappointed

« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think a healthy AND humble Kyrie would be untradeable.

But he wanted out of CLE because he wanted to be the man.

Going forward Tatum and Brown will need the ball and minutes to continue to grow....Kyrie is a ball dominant PG and will stunt the growth of our young guys.

Rozier can do some of the things (at least at home) offensively that Kyrie does AND Rozier is a much better defender and takes care of the ball !

With Hayward and coach Stevens history/relationship I don’t see Hayward ever being in trade talks let alone actual trades because that would mean Stevens would sign off on that which I don’t think he will !

At this point Kyrie is our most tradeable asset....like it or not.

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I like Kyrie but business is business. Probably gone anyway when contact is up.

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2018, 11:05:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
DELETE THIS!  >:(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2018, 11:08:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
DELETE THIS!  >:(

Yeah, lol ;D. Rozier had one hell of a run, though. Sigh :-\.