Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76287 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2018, 05:28:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, that's a real shame. It's going to be hard to nail down that bye. Even Houston barely pulled out a win with the Redskins hitting the horizontal part of the goal posts at the buzzer.

We do have a game against the Steelers - hopefully we will have won all other games up to that point.

Ben was horrendous for nearly 4 quarters.  Just played well on last drives.  Bortles is about one notch better than me.  And I'm 60 and not very good.  I can't get over that he beat the Pats.

Pats have a way of making bad QBs look good. I still can't get over a back-up in Foles beating the Pats in the SB or Eli freaking Manning taking two more rings away.

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, that's a real shame. It's going to be hard to nail down that bye. Even Houston barely pulled out a win with the Redskins hitting the horizontal part of the goal posts at the buzzer.

We do have a game against the Steelers - hopefully we will have won all other games up to that point.

Yeah it's unfortunate because it's not just that this Patriots team isn't as talented as previous years... it's also that I feel the AFC this year is so much more balanced than previous years. Like there are 4-5 AFC teams who IMO have a chance at making the SB compared to previous years where it felt like it was either NE and another team. I still think NE could reach the AFCCG but wouldn't be surprised if they were eliminated earlier, the AFC is just a lot better this season and we could have a super tough matchup real early this time around (maybe even a road game in the divisional round).

Houston right now are 7-3 and the 4 seed. NE holds the tiebreaker over them but yeah the margin for error for NE is now real thin.

Pittsburgh does have tough games left as they have a road game @Denver, they face LAC and NE at home, and a road game against the Saints in Week 16.

Still, that Week 15 game between PIT-NE is HUGE as I expect winner of that game is the #2 seed and loser is #3. If HOU had beaten us and held the tiebreaker then it would have been more likely NE actually ended up a 4 seed.

Either way I think IF KC wins tomorrow night, they lock up the #1 seed for good. Don't see them going worse than 14-2 if they win tomorrow night. If the Rams win, we still got a shot (as does PIT) but I think we'd have to win out and KC would still have to lose 1 more (since we hold the tiebreaker over them).

I think NE finishes the season 12-4. That 3 game stretch where they are at home for MIN, road for MIA then road for PIT will be a tough one. If they navigate that 2-1 and win their games against the Jets/Bills (3 games), they'll finish 12-4. Question will be, how does HOU and PIT finish. I think HOU finishes 11-5 but PIT could finish 11-4-1 probably. So yeah, like last year as well, that PIT-NE game is HUGE.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2018, 11:27:01 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
This Rams/Chiefs game is looking like an All-Star game. Virtually no defense, all offensive firepower.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This Rams/Chiefs game is looking like an All-Star game. Virtually no defense, all offensive firepower.
Could easily be 100 total points. Crazy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lethargic start by Pat's, especially after a bye. Lack of pass rush is killing the team this year. McCown is old and bad but we are going to make him look a superstar because we can't put pressure on him.

« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The red Sox world series win sucked all of the winning out of the other teams in town, apparently.

The pats have looked awful for a month or more now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Patriots haven't (yet) reached Celtics-level disappointment for me, but they're not far off. So much offensive talent but so little production, and the defense is its usual junky self. I think Brady might finally be losing it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The Patriots haven't (yet) reached Celtics-level disappointment for me, but they're not far off. So much offensive talent but so little production, and the defense is its usual junky self. I think Brady might finally be losing it.
Brady isn't the problem in this game. The problem is stupid penalties and lack of a pass rush.

And in the losses what killed us were our offensive and defensive lines.

Brady has throw the ball away to prevent sacks so many times this year it's ridiculous. And 4 of his interceptions should have been catches but the receiver didn't catch it but deflected it for the INT.

Brady hasn't been last year's MVP good but he isn't the problem with this team.

« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Brady isn't the problem in this game. The problem is stupid penalties and lack of a pass rush.

And in the losses what killed us were our offensive and defensive lines.

Brady has throw the ball away to prevent sacks so many times this year it's ridiculous. And 4 of his interceptions should have been catches but the receiver didn't catch it but deflected it for the INT.

Brady hasn't been last year's MVP good but he isn't the problem with this team.

I agree that the lines have been bad, that the pass rush has been bad (as usual), and that Brady's had some bad luck with the INTs. I guess you're right that Brady hasn't been *the* problem, but I still think he's looked a little off.

And, as we just saw, the Patriots still struggle in the red zone.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Once again making a bad QB look good. I guess if you give any NFL QB lots of time AND you can’t cover, you end up looking good. Jets driving. Geesh.

« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
10 penalties. Wow.

« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Nice play pats. Thanks. 

Brady having a decent game.  Hasn’t been getting in the end zone as regularly as he should.

Defense can’t allow McCown to feel comfortable.  I liked the pressure last series. Do it again — get to him.

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If Sony Michel was healthy all year he would be in the running for rookie of the year

« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2018, 08:05:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Nice bounce-back win for the Patriots. Sure, you could say it was just the Jets, but we saw how the team did two weeks ago against an opponent who had been "just the Titans". And divisional road games are NEVER easy and the Jets have actually played us tough at MetLife over the years.

The running game is really helping us as is the addition of Josh Gordon. Even when Gronkowski isn't producing on the stat sheet, he's still helping the other guys by drawing attention and helping other guys get open or gain separation downfield.

And that Pittsburgh loss @Denver was HUGE for us. Now the Pats are in the 2nd seed with a first round bye while PIT falls to #4 (currently HOU is #3 with a game tomorrow night). I know there's still 5 games left in the season and we still play PIT in Week 15, but it's crazy to think that this could be the 2nd straight year PIT loses a first round bye/homefield due to Big Ben throwing a very ill-advised INT in the endzone late in a game (he did it last year against NE as well, when even just a FG ties it and sends it to OT).

With that said, I still think this is one of those years where NE wins 1 playoff game but then either in the AFCCG OR divisional round if they get the #3 seed (on the road), they probably lose to KC/PIT.

I think as long as we go 2-1 in the next 3 weeks (MIN, @MIA, @PIT), we finish 12-4 and as long as PIT doesn't go undefeated the rest of the way, we have the 2 seed. I think KC keeps the 1 seed at 13-3.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I just read an article that Josh McDaniels is one of the top candidates to land a head coaching job, even after turning his back on the Indianapolis Colts this past off season. This may certainly be true that other teams want him to be their next head coach. However, will assistant coaches leave their current teams/jobs and join him? If I recall, the Colts let the assistants that left their former jobs to join McDaniels, stay on their coaching staff. They weren’t obligated to do that, and the next team may not be so forgiving. Do teams normally interview each assistant coach, or are they part of the package of hiring a new head coach? For me personally, I wouldn’t hire McDaniels to be a head coach, as I couldn’t trust him.