Author Topic: Sad thing (Rondo Related)  (Read 6157 times)

Sad thing (Rondo Related)
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
The sad thing is we should have been playing this way with Rondo.

For some reason for much of the earlier part of the season, Terry, Green, Bass, Lee all their games were asleep at the wheel.

I don't know why Rondo's injury and Sully's injury triggered the wake up call, but that's how the cards played out.

Imagine Rondo playing with all these weapons and the defensive and uptempo offense that Danny envisioned and Doc was hopeful of coaching....imagine that.

This is the most balanced, youth and veteran infused roster we have had in the KG era.

I really hope Rondo can see what has been happening and he should know in his heart that he does not need to go out and look for triple doubles for us to win...they are nice, but when everything is right, Rondo needs just play solid D and pass the ball to the open guy, shoot the open shot and lay the ball up if he is at the rim.

Re: Sad thing (Rondo Related)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Whatever. He can see our playing style from a whole new perspective now, from off the floor.

When he comes back, he'll be even better and will average 16 APG. That's how do it!

On another note... do you think Rondo just does not fit this team's style? (or vice versa)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I think one of the undersold parts to this winning streak is everyone did seem to wake up and started giving more effort. I sure would of liked seeing that earlier in the season. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think Rondo makes us a better team.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

For some reason for much of the earlier part of the season, Terry, Green, Bass, Lee all their games were asleep at the wheel.

I don't know why Rondo's injury and Sully's injury triggered the wake up call, but that's how the cards played out.

Imagine Rondo playing with all these weapons and the defensive and uptempo offense that Danny envisioned and Doc was hopeful of coaching....imagine that.

This is the most balanced, youth and veteran infused roster we have had in the KG era.

I really hope Rondo can see what has been happening and he should know in his heart that he does not need to go out and look for triple doubles for us to win...they are nice, but when everything is right, Rondo needs just play solid D and pass the ball to the open guy, shoot the open shot and lay the ball up if he is at the rim.

Terry started hot, then went extra cold.

Lee always played hard, maybe the player who played hardest night in and night out for us since the get go. Started very very cold, he's been playing really well since December began.

Green has had a very productive January.

Bass has been a mess this season, the wake-up call for him was the benching against Miami in favor of Sully starting.

All this said, most of the guys mentioned above are 2nd unit players. The 2nd unit players have been quite productive for us for a while now, they were the main catalyst in our earlier run in January.

I really can't agree with assessments that pin all our woes at these players being "asleep at the wheel".

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I think one of the undersold parts to this winning streak is everyone did seem to wake up and started giving more effort. I sure would of liked seeing that earlier in the season. I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think Rondo makes us a better team.

I keep seeing people mentioning how we're suddenly now giving more effort, and I've yet to see a single shred of evidence that it's actually happening.

Everyone has pretty much played as hard as they've been playing for a while now.

Bass is the only one I can really point to, but that's about it.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think the media Doc and KG are a lot to blame for this.  How many times have you heard KG or Doc or ESPN say "this is rondo's team now" "rondo is now the leader on this team" "as rondo goes the celtics go".

Rondo has rarely or never been one to come out and say this himself unless prompted.  He feels the pressure that he needs to carry this team, do everything, and make it all happen.  Maybe he's realizing now that he can just be an awesome part of what can happen on its own.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I keep seeing people mentioning how we're suddenly now giving more effort, and I've yet to see a single shred of evidence that it's actually happening.

Everyone has pretty much played as hard as they've been playing for a while now.

Jeff Green?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Jeff Green?

Only if you ignore how he's played since the start of January.

He's been quite solid for us defensively pretty much all year though. The only difference I'm seeing is him being more effective offensively at the moment, and a major part of that is that the team is doing a good job pushing the ball.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
When the games are close and meaningful like in the playoffs, I agree with you that we are way better with Rondo.  I think the players are playing with slightly more effort, but a lot of it seems like it's from new found freedom.  But in the playoffs I'm not convinced we will execute very well with the Lee/Bradley guard combo.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Jeff Green

Terry

Paul Pierce

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Jeff Green

Terry

Paul Pierce

Terry is not an effort issue.

Paul Pierce is a curious player, he's pretty much the same really. For example, 2-11 effort against Toronto. Yet we won.

That said, Pierce is one of the players that I have pointed to being a problem for us through much of the season, so I won't argue much against that idea. But Pierce is who he is really. the other day against the Clippers he had a subpar defensive effort, but we won once again. So yeah...

Edit: See above for my comments on Jeff Green.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I find it amazing that everyone has always said that Rondo loves playing this uptempo style of basketball and he kills it in transition. Yet, he predominately quarterbacks us to play an incredibly slow half court game. Then when he is out, all we do it run and get out in transition... I dont understand it.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Honestly put yourself in their position. They at their core are scorers and are used to having the ball in their hands. Especially Terry. Rondo had possession of the ball like 80% of the time.

As a result they aren't included in the offense nearly as much as they were in the past. Now I am sure they were told it would be this way when they came to the team and signed, but it doesn't mean they understood what it would be like to experience it.

Most people let their offense affect their defense. It's nature. If you're playing in a game and you never get to shoot or touch the ball are you really going to bust your butt to get back on Defense and have crisp rotations, closeouts, etc.? Probably not. You will get frustrated and let that seep into the rest of your play.

I think the ball is clearly moving better then it has all season. Guys are much more involved on the offensive end and its carrying over to harder play/effort in the other phases of the game.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I find it amazing that everyone has always said that Rondo loves playing this uptempo style of basketball and he kills it in transition. Yet, he predominately quarterbacks us to play an incredibly slow half court game. Then when he is out, all we do it run and get out in transition... I dont understand it.

For the record, I've never said it. Maybe back in 2007 or 2008, but back then there wasn't a good sample of how the team operated in a Rondo dominant offense.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

What would you consider to be evidence? I think that the heightened effort is clear as day, both on the defensive end and how quickly they get up court. I think there are various reasons for this: players stepping up because Rondo's injured, Rondo and Sully's injuries resulting in more (and more consistent) minutes for the remaining players, some players controlling the ball more often and just the confidence that comes from playing well.

As to the OP, the way the team is playing now is why I was still of the opinion that we were still title contenders. Stick Rondo on a team with this depth that's playing like this in the playoffs and we'd be capable of beating anyone. It would be the equivalent of adding (roughly) Bradley, Lee, Green and Wilcox to the team that played the Heat in the ECF last year.