Poll

Which path would you prefer?

Re-Sign Kyrie + Trade For AD
79 (59.8%)
Re-Sign Kyrie, Don't Trade For AD & Simply Add Depth Or Moderate Upgrades Using Picks + MLE
2 (1.5%)
Let Kyrie Walk, But You Still Trade For AD & Add Depth Or Moderate Upgrades Using Picks + MLE
17 (12.9%)
Let Kyrie Walk, Don't Trade For AD & Simply Build Around The Jays + Young Core + Both Horford, Hayward
32 (24.2%)
Full On Rebuild And Tank, Baby! (Go Crazy)
2 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Poll: There's Pretty Much Five Paths From Here. Which Path Would You Prefer?  (Read 11095 times)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Trade for Davis. Preferably with Kyrie on board but if not still trade for Davis. Davis is the best player in the NBA. When you get a chance to get a player like that and have a good team around him, you take it.

Since when?

A few years now.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think you have to make the push for AD regardless. He’s easily a top 10 player and very well top-5 and MVP-caliber.

I appreciate the Jays but they just don’t have the ceiling of where AD is (and about to enter his prime).

I understand the risk of him walking after a season, but it’s worth it IMO. If Kyrie stays, I don’t see a better place for him than with two guys (Kyrie and Hayward, who could be arguably top-15 and top-25 players, respectively) near his age for the next 4-5 seasons.

If Kyrie leaves, of course the risk goes up even more, but you still take that chance. You sell Kyrie with an incoming Davis (and overall changes). You sell Davis with Kyrie and Hayward.

Hopefully retain Brown AND Smart (wishful thinking I suppose, but maybe Tatum, Williams, Yabu, picks get it done?). Resign Morris and Theis, let Rozier go. Bring in a combo guard with the MLE.

Either way, the play HAS to be for AD. Like KG, he’s been the goal for awhile. Ainge sat and waited, here comes his chance.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Is this team good enough to be a title contender?

Kyrie
Smart
Paul George
FA? Semi? I was thinking of Michael Kidd Gil-Christ
AD

This is assuming Horford, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are gone to facilitate the deals.

Hayward would be traded to Cleveland for JR Smith's contract, and maybe cap filler.

Horford could be traded to a team like the Nets or to OKC with Jaylen Brown. I would like to keep both in Jay/Horford, but unless he restructures his deal for like 20 million, it wouldn't be feasible. 

MKG has a player option for CHA, but I'm pretty sure based on his limited role, and the fact their floor spacing isn't great. He's probably gonna opt out, and maybe sign for MLE or less to play with his friends in Kyrie and AD.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:33:09 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
“Trade for AD and let Kyrie walk” should be labeled as the franchise suicide option.

Agreed.

My (mostly emotional) preference is for Kyrie to go play for a fanbase that will enjoy his antics more and won't care so much about seeing good team basketball.  The Knicks or Lakers would be perfect.

I don't want to trade for AD with just a year left on his deal when our franchise is in such a volatile position.  Very good chance of that blowing up on us.  Just look at Toronto -- as great as things have gone with them and Kawhi this year, if they lose Game 7 on Sunday, or even if they lose to the Bucks in the ECF, Kawhi could very easily decide to leave for LA or wherever.

I know that many folks here don't like the idea of "build around Jay & Jay" because they see that as aiming for the middle.  However, I think that perspective overlooks the fact that if the team maintains cap flexibility, doesn't sign anybody to any crazy contracts, and continues to stockpile assets, there will still be plenty of options for improving the team.

The goal is to win a title.  To do that the team needs to have at least one if not multiple top tier guys to build around.  You also need those guys, and the supporting cast around them, to fit well so that they can thrive together.  On top of that, you need to be able to sustain multiple years of contention, because even historically talented teams fail to win titles given a single season (see 2011 Heat).

With all of that in mind, I just don't have confidence that going all-in for Kyrie and AD makes sense when we know that both of those guys have a history of being mercurial and, to put it kindly, failing to step up to the plate as far as leadership and taking responsibility for the team are concerned.  That's not even noting their significant injury histories.

The Kyrie and AD plan made a lot more sense to me when I believed the Celts were building toward that from a place where the foundation of the franchise was exceedingly stable.  It still is from the standpoint of the front office and the coach.  I don't feel that way anymore about the infrastructure on the roster and the culture of the team at the ground floor level.

So to me it makes sense to move forward with our young guys, try to keep Horford and Smart around (Hayward isn't going anywhere) for leadership and stability, and see whether or not Jay & Jay can make the leap.  If they can't, the team can lie in wait for the next opportunity to add a potential MVP talent.

If the Celtics end up trading for AD and retaining Kyrie, I will be able to mentally get on board with the plan just because of the sheer talent.  When you can pair an All-NBA, perennial All-Star with a potential MVP caliber talent, the reasons for doing so hardly need to be articulated. 

My concerns will be (1) whether the chemistry and the fit is likely to be there given what I would perceive as a void of leadership in that pairing and (2) that the pairing won't actually result in very many opportunities to win a title because AD may leave after a year or they may never be fully healthy at the same time.

I truly, truly do not want an emotional sequel to the dispiriting, depressing 2018-2019 Celtics season. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:53:26 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kyrie
Smart
Paul George
AD

This is assuming Horford, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward are gone to facilitate the deals.

Hayward would be traded to Cleveland for JR Smith's contract, and maybe cap filler.

Horford could be traded to a team like the Nets or to OKC with Jaylen Brown. I would like to keep both in Jay/Horford, but unless he restructures his deal for like 20 million, it wouldn't be feasible. 

MKG has a player option for CHA, but I'm pretty sure based on his limited role, and the fact their floor spacing isn't great. He's probably gonna opt out, and maybe sign for MLE or less to play with his friends in Kyrie and AD.
Marcus Smart would murder JR as soon as he touched down ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Trade for Davis. Preferably with Kyrie on board but if not still trade for Davis. Davis is the best player in the NBA. When you get a chance to get a player like that and have a good team around him, you take it.

Since when?

A few years now.

Davis is not the best player in the nba.

Has never been.
If he was he would be winning more, even with garnage around him

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Kyrie
Smart
Paul George
AD

JR Smith would be used as trade filler to OKC or NOP for immediate cap relief. I don't want this guy anywhere near Celtics lol.

If people got mad at Kyrie for his antics, I can only imagine fans expressions at JR LOL.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
The best choice is trade for AD while removing rozier and hayward and keeping smart brown kyrie and al

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Davis is top 5 player..do anything to get him but not a one year rental..if he agrees on long term contract, then get him..if not, then pass
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kyrie
Smart
Paul George
AD

JR Smith would be used as trade filler to OKC or NOP for immediate cap relief. I don't want this guy anywhere near Celtics lol.

If people got mad at Kyrie for his antics, I can only imagine fans expressions at JR LOL.
I remember vividly when he pushed Al Horford. Wanted Smart to really give it to him then.

Smith and Westbrook would be something
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I can't believe that 8 people (at the time of my post) preferred something other than a team led by Davis and Kyrie.  If we can pull this off, that is clearly the best path forward in my mind.  To me, the more interesting question is what is Plan B if we are not able to pull off getting Davis and keeping Kyrie.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I voted re-signing Kyrie and trading for AD, because I see no other path to more seriously competing with the likes of guys like Durant, Freak and Kawhi.

I think Danny, Brad and Kyrie need to get in a room, where they keep it real with one another. Kyrie can gets his feelings across about Brad's coaching issues, Brad can tell Kyrie what he can do to be a better team mate and play within his system. If they can't get on the same page, Kyrie should walk, and the Celts should hold the door open for him to leave.

We would then build around the two J's, Hayward, Horford (if he stays),  Morris, Smart, maybe Rozier, Williams, Semi, and a couple of our new draft picks. Focus on getting bigs like Bol and Porter.  Go for home runs, not singles in draft (sorry, Brad).  We need a lot more length to have any hope of being competitive with the Bucks, etc.  Wings are a dime a dozen.  Talented bigs don't grow on trees. IF we go this route, make it a defensive oriented team with great ball movement.  Williams development will be critical to succeeding this style.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Kyrie
Smart
Paul George
AD

I remember vividly when he pushed Al Horford. Wanted Smart to really give it to him then.

Smith and Westbrook would be something

Oof, that really angered me.... Ugh...

Anyways Smith's contract would be waived immediately.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Re-sign Kyrie & trade for AD. 

Talent, not depth seems to rise to the top at the end.   Clear out some of the depth this team has and become a bit top heavier.  AD & Kyrie is a great 1-2 punch to have.  The Celtics will still have talent around them with Hayward, Horford (hopefully), & either Brown or Tatum.  Ideally, I'd love to keep Smart around but that might not be feasible with a trade.

I have zero interest in a full blown rebuild & tank and I'd rather not see this team drift into treadmill land with the hope that the kids pan out.    Would rather see this team win a championship sooner rather than later.   That can get done when you have a couple of Top 15 talents on the team.

If Hayward and Kyrie are on the same team, are we losing some of their value - especially if Davis also needs a lot of touches? Hayward, at his best, seems to have the ball in his hands a lot like a point forward. Hate to reproduce what we had this past year - no chemistry. 

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Seems to me most have given up on Hayward which is disappointing.

I feel like a healthy offseason and some added motivation from this depressing MIL series will rejuvenate Hayward and he'll become a bigger factor on a regular basis next season. After an injury like he had, I would also cringe at times when he jumped on the court and landed or something like that fearing something bad. I'm sure that played a role in Hayward being less aggressive especially early on. Remember, Paul George found his form about 1.5 years after the injury but it took him a few years to regain all-star form and to be a factor in the playoffs. And this past season he looked like an MVP-caliber player for much of it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller