Author Topic: Which young player will break out this season?  (Read 3871 times)

Re: Which young player will break out this season?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
All good suggestions.  I throw Porzingis out there.  I just think being away from New York with Doncic is going to do him wonders.  Yes, he's a career 17.8 ppg scorer but seemed 'hidden' in the NYK mess with Melo etc.
Speaking of the Zinger, he had a Giannis type of transformation this offseason. He looks like a legitimate C out there who can bang with anyone save for the largest of giants like Embiid while still being quick enough to guard PFs. I sure hope that Tatum can join whatever weight program Porzingis and Giannis are in lol, he'd be a monster if he got to around 240 pounds (not even that unthinkable, guys like PG and Kawhi are close to 235 with the former having a relatively thin frame and Kawhi being inhumanly strong at that weight).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 01:07:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I will go with one of the Atlanta youth. Either Collins or Young.

Oh I like Young. Had forgotten about him, he looked really good in second half.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
All good suggestions.  I throw Porzingis out there.  I just think being away from New York with Doncic is going to do him wonders.  Yes, he's a career 17.8 ppg scorer but seemed 'hidden' in the NYK mess with Melo etc.
Speaking of the Zinger, he had a Giannis type of transformation this offseason. He looks like a legitimate C out there who can bang with anyone save for the largest of giants like Embiid while still being quick enough to guard PFs. I sure hope that Tatum can join whatever weight program Porzingis and Giannis are in lol, he'd be a monster if he got to around 240 pounds (not even that unthinkable, guys like PG and Kawhi are close to 235 with the former having a relatively thin frame and Kawhi being inhumanly strong at that weight).

They were talking about his transformation on the NBA ringer podcast also, that he is in a lot better shape now. I believe he had the reputation of something of a partier while in New York, so perhaps there is less of that happening in Dallas?

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

They were talking about his transformation on the NBA ringer podcast also, that he is in a lot better shape now. I believe he had the reputation of something of a partier while in New York, so perhaps there is less of that happening in Dallas?
I think it's him finally having the time to work on his body after the injury (no international competitions or distractions). Hope Tatum gets on his weight programme lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm really interested to see what, if anything, happens with Michael Porter, Jr. in Denver.  Some had him as the #1 pick last year before injuries.  Supposedly completely healthy.  Some think he's capable of giving Zion a run for his money as ROY (if he wasn't on a loaded team). 

Unique situation on a team looking to contend, that has a ton of bodies at his position.  I'm expecting he'll be brought along slowly, maybe 15mpg-20mpg off the bench to start the season, but somebody will likely go down with an injury at some point, and he'll get the chance to step up and shine.

May end up as a 6MOY candidate. May have a coming out party in the playoffs.

Really interested to see how he does this year.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Edwards and Grant Williams

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think Fultz will be a legitimate rotation player this year and has a chance to really play well.  he hasn't looked bad statistically in their 2 preseason games (aside from the turnovers and his 0-3 from 3).  Seems like he could be a good assist generator and appears to have + rebounding skills.  And he can really put the ball in the hole when he gets his drive going.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Big believer in Wendell Carter. Zach Collins in Portland. Willie Caulie-Stien in Golden State is a guy to watch, although I don't know if he's a "Young Player".

If Marvin Bagely Jr wasn't in Sacramento, Harry Giles would be a guy I'd be really excited about. Surprised more teams aren't after him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 12:00:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I think Fultz will be a legitimate rotation player this year and has a chance to really play well.  he hasn't looked bad statistically in their 2 preseason games (aside from the turnovers and his 0-3 from 3).  Seems like he could be a good assist generator and appears to have + rebounding skills.  And he can really put the ball in the hole when he gets his drive going.
Have any of his shots been jumpers? I have been wanting to see him play but haven't found any of his games on TV yet. It would be cool if he looked good and lived up to the promise. Orlando could certainly use a few breaks.

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 07:15:21 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I’m sure I’m repeating what others have said but I’ve been a sole Lonzo guy since before he was drafted. I still think he’s s future star.
  I think Rozier will bust out. Pat consughton is my pick to start for the Bucks. I think Jaren Jackson jr will make a leap and and Morant challenge for ROY and Deandre Ayton  to start looking like a star. I’m also pulling for Jahil Okafor to be a solid consistent rotation guy.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 08:26:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’m sure I’m repeating what others have said but I’ve been a sole Lonzo guy since before he was drafted. I still think he’s s future star.
  I think Rozier will bust out. Pat consughton is my pick to start for the Bucks. I think Jaren Jackson jr will make a leap and and Morant challenge for ROY and Deandre Ayton  to start looking like a star. I’m also pulling for Jahil Okafor to be a solid consistent rotation guy.
Yup, it's the impact of opportunity.  Lonzo, Rozier, JJJ, Morant, Ayton all expected to play major roles on their respective teams.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Jonathan Isaac is the one that stands out to me. Could also see someone like Dennis Smith Jr having a good year