Author Topic: If Hayward and Fultz are in, which two are out?  (Read 8774 times)

Re: If Hayward and Fultz are in, which two are out?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
BTW, splitting minutes doesn't matter. Assets do.

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yabu will be with the Celts or Dleague this season

You dont play with him and keep stashing him overseas

Why bring him back this past season for the dleague then?

Why not bring him to DLeague this past season?

He's not nearly NBA ready otherwise and playing in a top league overseas > DLeague next year.

Bc danny runs into a situation to upset the kid/agent... He could play very well and just stay in the euroleague

It will be hard to make this arrangement work anyways. . That is a legit league... Not baby sitter...

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Sure it does. What do you think would happen with Jae Crowder if we signed Hayward and Crowder started getting less than 20 minutes a game?

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I don't think Yabu will stay in China another year. Celts will have to do something with him.

I have read speculation that Yabu was drafted at #16 with the understanding that he may be stashed for 2 years.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think Yabu will stay in China another year. Celts will have to do something with him.

What's that based upon?
What is your opinion to the contrary based upon?

Logic, the salary cap, and Monday's report by Steve Bulpett saying the Celts are considering keeping him abroad.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I cant see how crowder and hayward coexist..

Crowder nor hayward can guard shooting guards nor pfs full time

How did we find minutes for Paul Pierce and James Posey?

It's the same dynamic. Hayward is the starting SF. Hopefully, Crowder is the backup SF/PF.

Also, Hayward plays SG just fine.

Where do you see Jaylen Brown next season, Roy? Starting 2 guard?

I sure hope so. I think Smart starts the year there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm coming around to Bradley being the odd man out, given his contract coming up in a year, and the likely cost to renew him. 

What is a realistic power forward we could expect to receive in return? Remembering he has only a year left on his deal. 

What is a realistic draft pick in this coming draft?

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Personally for me it would be Crowder and Thomas, but I suspect it will be Bradley and everyone else stays put creating a log jam that won't get sorted out until the trade deadline.

And just so I'm clear, I'd trade Thomas because I think Bradley will be the better long term back court mate for Fultz and Bradley will be cheaper to sign long term which I think is important for flexibility going forward.  So even without Hayward I might look to move Thomas this year (I wouldn't just give him away but if the right trade came along, I would move him).

As for Crowder, I don't think he will deal very well with being benched, which would happen by bringing in Hayward and even if Boston doesn't I think Brown will overtake him at some point this year, which will be even harder for Crowder to accept (look at how upset Ray Allen got for being benched for Bradley and at that time Allen was past his prime and had already made his money).  So even without Hayward, I might look to move Crowder before his value tanked by being benched. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Personally for me it would be Crowder and Thomas, but I suspect it will be Bradley and everyone else stays put creating a log jam that won't get sorted out until the trade deadline.

And just so I'm clear, I'd trade Thomas because I think Bradley will be the better long term back court mate for Fultz and Bradley will be cheaper to sign long term which I think is important for flexibility going forward.  So even without Hayward I might look to move Thomas this year (I wouldn't just give him away but if the right trade came along, I would move him).

As for Crowder, I don't think he will deal very well with being benched, which would happen by bringing in Hayward and even if Boston doesn't I think Brown will overtake him at some point this year, which will be even harder for Crowder to accept (look at how upset Ray Allen got for being benched for Bradley and at that time Allen was past his prime and had already made his money).  So even without Hayward, I might look to move Crowder before his value tanked by being benched.

Good analysis. Trading Thomas is just tough. Like you said you can't give him away for peanuts. That would look really bad for our image as how we treat our players and as a trading partner as well. You have to get good value in return to be able to sell it to the public, otherwise it's better to keep him for this season and let him be a mentor to Fultz and let him walk after that.

One note, how many teams (I know it just takes one  ;)) in 2018 would be willing to pay Thomas (or Bradley for that matter) a big contract and also have the cap space to do it? Would Thomas leave the Celtics for a bottom feeder just to earn more money, as most (semi)-contenders certainly won't have the cap space to offer him that.

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Good analysis. Trading Thomas is just tough. Like you said you can't give him away for peanuts. That would look really bad for our image as how we treat our players and as a trading partner as well. You have to get good value in return to be able to sell it to the public, otherwise it's better to keep him for this season and let him be a mentor to Fultz and let him walk after that.

One note, how many teams (I know it just takes one  ;)) in 2018 would be willing to pay Thomas (or Bradley for that matter) a big contract and also have the cap space to do it? Would Thomas leave the Celtics for a bottom feeder just to earn more money, as most (semi)-contenders certainly won't have the cap space to offer him that.

Thomas window (to get most value) is this offseason...

I think his value may drop if signed to an extension.... Not the norm

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I cant see how crowder and hayward coexist..

Crowder nor hayward can guard shooting guards nor pfs full time

How did we find minutes for Paul Pierce and James Posey?

It's the same dynamic. Hayward is the starting SF. Hopefully, Crowder is the backup SF/PF.

Also, Hayward plays SG just fine.

That's how I would see it. If we were lucky enough to land Hayward, then you slide Crowder into the Posey role and Zizic/KO/Amir into Powe/Perk/PJ Brown..

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Idk but it looks right

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Sure it does. What do you think would happen with Jae Crowder if we signed Hayward and Crowder started getting less than 20 minutes a game?

He's under contract.

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thomas window (to get most value) is this offseason...

I think his value may drop if signed to an extension.... Not the norm

If a team doesn't want to sign IT, why would they trade for him? You think his max value is as a one year rental?

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 05:34:05 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

He's under contract.
And the assets under contract can decrease in value. Crowder has plenty of value around the league and DA would trade him if he absolutely knew Crowder would be playing less than 20 mpg during the season.