Author Topic: May's trade ideas  (Read 4907 times)

Re: May's trade ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Childress, good talent fit that will never get here this season because a GM from another team was bad with money. 

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think the only way the Posey deal gets done is if it's JO. If Ainge feels he's done but won't admit it / retire, it could happen. If not, I doubt it.

But if Quis can't play again this season, is Nate really that big of a loss? 

Trading him frees up time for Wafer to play at the natural 2 spot, while simultaneously giving us better size, defense, and playmaking at the 1 (with West moving there) and better size and defense at the 3. 

I like Nate; however, if we have a chance to get a legit 3, I'm not attached to him. 

It's tough, West has already had a set back from his injury and I don't think we can exactly count on him to just come in with no insurance.

Posey is really intriguing though. I could definitely see him being rejuvenated to play with us again. He doesn't need to be what he was in 08 but I'm sure he can still defend wings better than than average.

2 factors: 1) Posey is no longer as good of a player as Nate, and 2) Ainge is not going to be quick to trade for a guy who he sent packing some years ago. He's not going to send out a meaningful asset for a guy riding the bench on a bad team making 7 mil next season.

Well Posey fills a much more important need at this point. Also even though Robinson is insurance for Delonte many many people have felt that he still is not a point guard and is better served playing the off guard with Pierce or someone else being point forward.

Also as far as Ainge sending Posey "packing" you are right he didn't want to sign posey to a four year extension. But it's not four years anymore. It's a year and a half. It's completely different and irrelevant for people to say "oh he didn't want to pay him the money then" or whatever. It's two years later and completely different circumstances

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I think the only way the Posey deal gets done is if it's JO. If Ainge feels he's done but won't admit it / retire, it could happen. If not, I doubt it.

But if Quis can't play again this season, is Nate really that big of a loss? 

Trading him frees up time for Wafer to play at the natural 2 spot, while simultaneously giving us better size, defense, and playmaking at the 1 (with West moving there) and better size and defense at the 3. 

I like Nate; however, if we have a chance to get a legit 3, I'm not attached to him. 

It's tough, West has already had a set back from his injury and I don't think we can exactly count on him to just come in with no insurance.

Posey is really intriguing though. I could definitely see him being rejuvenated to play with us again. He doesn't need to be what he was in 08 but I'm sure he can still defend wings better than than average.

2 factors: 1) Posey is no longer as good of a player as Nate, and 2) Ainge is not going to be quick to trade for a guy who he sent packing some years ago. He's not going to send out a meaningful asset for a guy riding the bench on a bad team making 7 mil next season.

Depends on how you define "valuable."

Can Nate put up more points?  Sure, but with his size and the return of West, he's limited to only playing the 1, which means he's only going to play 5-10 mpg in the playoffs.  That value is further mitigated by the fact that the C's are probably better off just giving those minutes to Delonte. 

Then factor in that we don't have a true 3, and Posey's value becomes a lot more apparent.

Is Nate potentially better than Posey in a vacuum?  Sure.  However, we're not playing in a vacuum.  We're playing in a reality where we have a guy who can backup Rondo and we have no true 3 to backup Pierce in a Conference where we're likely going to have to face the likes of James, Deng, and/or Hedo on the way to the Finals. 

Exactly. Nate is a luxury at this point. He played in 17 out of 24 playoff games last year averaging 7.5 min. He came up big in game 6 of the ECF and was pretty good in the LA series. I think a back up 3 is a much more glaring hole at this point and if Delonte comes back it's not even an arguement

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »

Offline jsingh1699

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
definitely on board with posey for nate and quis.

even if we assume dwest is out for the year. one would argue we have no backup pg.

but theres one thing to keep in mind. the trade has us giving 2 players for 1 player, in which case, it frees up a roster spot. we can then use that roster spot to sign a backup pg (i cant give any examples cause i really have no idea) but thats somethign to think about.