Author Topic: Not my money: trade idea for AK-47  (Read 4442 times)

Not my money: trade idea for AK-47
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4uosoxa

Boston gets: Andrei Kirilenko and Earl Watson

Milwaukee gets: Al Jefferson and Nate Robinson

Utah gets: Maggette, Drew Gooden, J. O'Neal, Glen Davis, Avery Bradley, Milwaukee's #1

Boston gets a good defender with all-around skills to back up the 3 and 4, plus a competent back up 1. They do add $4.3M in salary, which of course doubles with the lux tax.

Milwaukee gets the offense it needs and manages to (barely) stay under the luxury tax. It gets rid of the multi-year deals of Maggette and Gooden, and Big Al finally gets a good front-court match with Bogut.

Utah manages to get under the luxury tax with this deal, shedding nearly $6M, which is effectively $12M - serious dough. They get some pretty good players in Maggette, Gooden, and Big Baby, and a decent prospect in Bradley. They don't even have to waive anyone because they have roster space. I figure they're headed nowhere without Sloan anyway.

Re: Not my money: trade idea for AK-47
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Utah can't/wouldn't do this. Williams is a free agent soon and he would leave Utah if they made a trade that didn't move them into contention.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Big Baby is not valuable to other teams because he will just walk after this year.  Plus I think he's more valuable than AK-47 and Earl combined. 

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:25:02 AM »

Offline LeoMoreno

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Not just that I think Davis is an amazing player only as long as he's green, but... Can you guys actually see him wearing any other jersey? I mean the guy is amazing on both ends of the floor: The Big Plug on D and a juggernaut on offence. Wouldn't you miss his left-hand layups through 3 or 4 opposing players when you already see a lost ball? And imagine Pierce trying to slam it, and seeing him get a charge on Davis wearing purple/blue/whatever jersey.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:01:23 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Love AK47, but we can't afford to lose Baby.  Wish there was another way to get him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Utah gets: Maggette, Drew Gooden, J. O'Neal, Glen Davis, Avery Bradley, Milwaukee's #1

Boston gets a good defender with all-around skills to back up the 3 and 4, plus a competent back up 1. They do add $4.3M in salary, which of course doubles with the lux tax.

Milwaukee gets the offense it needs and manages to (barely) stay under the luxury tax. It gets rid of the multi-year deals of Maggette and Gooden, and Big Al finally gets a good front-court match with Bogut.

Utah manages to get under the luxury tax with this deal, shedding nearly $6M, which is effectively $12M - serious dough. They get some pretty good players in Maggette, Gooden, and Big Baby, and a decent prospect in Bradley. They don't even have to waive anyone because they have roster space. I figure they're headed nowhere without Sloan anyway.

I think Baby has more value to Celtics than AK so I would not pull the trigger on this.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53

I think, if they got this deal, John Hammond would immediately offer his first-born to either of the other two GMs. Seriously, where is the downside for Milwaukee? They get a borderline All-Star PF to pair with Bogut, a streaky but serviceable PG in Nate, AND they get rid of the two contracts they most regret at the moment? With a Jennings-Salmons-Ilyasova/Mbah a Moute/Jefferson/Bogut starting lineup, they'd honestly be a tough matchup against the Celtics. I think, ultimately, that's why this deal doesn't go through: because you don't want to make a trade that ends up killing you in the playoffs.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
No way Utah does that trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
So Utah gives up two good starters for a bunch of odds and ends?  That would be an enormous setback for them.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
No way Utah does that trade.

Especially with how well AK has played the past few years.

I think Utah would have to sweeten the pot to get Davis away from Boston.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:27:13 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
So Utah gives up two good starters for a bunch of odds and ends?  That would be an enormous setback for them.

From where to where at this point?  I mean they are headed no where with the ' 2 good starters '.  This is putting to side the fact that any trade idea mentioned on this site has less 1% chance of ever happening.  But I find your opinion curious.

Do people watch Utah games or are they too late for East Coast fans?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
I don't want to spend too much time defending this trade, but I'd say the reason it wouldn't happen would be because Wyc wouldn't want to pay an extra $9M to upgrade his backup 3/4.

But AK-47 is way better than Davis, I don't think that would be the issue.

If the trade is to be a little more painful to Milwaukee, it would also work with Ilyasova and Dooling instead of Gooden. Both of them are expiring, so maybe Utah would prefer it, and MKE would be slightly over the luxury tax. Plus it would be painful for them because Nate Robinson and Scott Skiles would have to try to work together.

I think Gooden is only overpaid because he's injured, but it's true that in 4 years he could be awful. He's a little bit of a Boozer-lite, so maybe he would fit in with Utah.

As for Utah losing Williams, the rumor is that the new CBA will have a franchise tag, so they might be able to lock him up that way. Plus in the past Utah has made significantly worse trades to get under the luxury tax level.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
I don't want to spend too much time defending this trade, but I'd say the reason it wouldn't happen would be because Wyc wouldn't want to pay an extra $9M to upgrade his backup 3/4.

But AK-47 is way better than Davis, I don't think that would be the issue.

If the trade is to be a little more painful to Milwaukee, it would also work with Ilyasova and Dooling instead of Gooden. Both of them are expiring, so maybe Utah would prefer it, and MKE would be slightly over the luxury tax. Plus it would be painful for them because Nate Robinson and Scott Skiles would have to try to work together.

I think Gooden is only overpaid because he's injured, but it's true that in 4 years he could be awful. He's a little bit of a Boozer-lite, so maybe he would fit in with Utah.

As for Utah losing Williams, the rumor is that the new CBA will have a franchise tag, so they might be able to lock him up that way. Plus in the past Utah has made significantly worse trades to get under the luxury tax level.

You don't have to defend something that has no chance of happening.  It's all in fun.

I disagree though about AK-47 ( do people really call him that anymore? ).  He's been awful the past few years.   
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:32:01 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

From where to where at this point?  I mean they are headed no where with the ' 2 good starters '.  This is putting to side the fact that any trade idea mentioned on this site has less 1% chance of ever happening.  But I find your opinion curious.

Utah is in need of tweeking, not a total blow up.  Kirilenko has been injury prone and overpaid but far from aweful.  He is still an excellent defender. 

I don't think they would want to give Big Al away either for that package.  Not unless they think Baby and Milsap can handle the center position.  Okur has been hurt all year.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday

Utah is in need of tweeking, not a total blow up.  Kirilenko has been injury prone and overpaid but far from aweful.  He is still an excellent defender. 

I don't think they would want to give Big Al away either for that package.  Not unless they think Baby and Milsap can handle the center position.  Okur has been hurt all year.

I don't think this would be a total blow-up. Maggette and Gooden are good players who I think would fit in quite well with Williams and Millsap. A better fit than Big Al, anyway. But the key for them - as it always is - is to not pay the luxury tax.