Author Topic: Celtics need to go to Tatum more late in games  (Read 6838 times)

Re: Celtics need to go to Tatum more late in games
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2017, 01:02:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I have to agree.

Thing is, Kyrie and Tatum are the only pure scorers on this team.  Both of those guys are built to score - they have a versatile array of moves and counter-moves that allow them to get their shots off in almost any scenario, against almost any defender.

This is in contrast to guys like Brown and Smart who CAN score, but only really have one or two moves.  Shut down Brown's driving lane and you pretty much take him out of the game.  Guard Smart at the three point line and you pretty much shut him down too. 

Ironically it's Rozier who is probably the third best tough shot creator / maker on this team right now and he's probably the next most clutch guy after Kyrie and Tatum.

I am ok with Smart taking the game winning shot if he has a wide open look, because he tends to make more shots then he misses in the clutch - but I'm not ok with running plays for him, because if you give him anything more complex then a simple catch-and-shoot play he's likely to overdo it and screw it up. 

I'd rather not get Brown the ball in those scenarios because he seems to still be very inconsistent from outside, and seems to struggle to hit outside shots unless he's wide open.  But if there is nobody else, and he's wide open, then by all means he should take the shot.

But actual plays should be run for Kyrie first, Tatum second.  Third probably Rozier - at least until Morris and Hayward are back.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2017, 01:29:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I have to agree.

Thing is, Kyrie and Tatum are the only pure scorers on this team.  Both of those guys are built to score - they have a versatile array of moves and counter-moves that allow them to get their shots off in almost any scenario, against almost any defender.

This is in contrast to guys like Brown and Smart who CAN score, but only really have one or two moves.  Shut down Brown's driving lane and you pretty much take him out of the game.  Guard Smart at the three point line and you pretty much shut him down too. 

Ironically it's Rozier who is probably the third best tough shot creator / maker on this team right now and he's probably the next most clutch guy after Kyrie and Tatum.

I am ok with Smart taking the game winning shot if he has a wide open look, because he tends to make more shots then he misses in the clutch - but I'm not ok with running plays for him, because if you give him anything more complex then a simple catch-and-shoot play he's likely to overdo it and screw it up. 

I'd rather not get Brown the ball in those scenarios because he seems to still be very inconsistent from outside, and seems to struggle to hit outside shots unless he's wide open.  But if there is nobody else, and he's wide open, then by all means he should take the shot.

But actual plays should be run for Kyrie first, Tatum second.  Third probably Rozier - at least until Morris and Hayward are back.
I really disagree with Brown, his post game is really good and I'd be okay with him taking an MJ fadeaway in crunch time.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 02:13:13 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I have to agree.

I really disagree with Brown, his post game is really good and I'd be okay with him taking an MJ fadeaway in crunch time.
I pretty much completely agree with brown. He is not there as a scorer.  Clog the lane and he’s done unless the shot is falling.  And I’m not going to Jaylen in the post in crunch time because you can’t trust he’s going to make the right decision.  As for his fall away, sure he can get that shot but he hasn’t shown the ability to make it consistently.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 03:11:11 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I have to agree.

Does Al Horford just not exist in this situation? Because I'd be preferring horford in a 2 man game late or in a post up than Terry Rozier. Every day of the week and twice on sunday.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2017, 04:23:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I have to agree.

I pretty much completely agree with brown. He is not there as a scorer.  Clog the lane and he’s done unless the shot is falling.  And I’m not going to Jaylen in the post in crunch time because you can’t trust he’s going to make the right decision.  As for his fall away, sure he can get that shot but he hasn’t shown the ability to make it consistently.
Seems pretty consistent to me...it's pretty wet imo. But oh well he is still pretty raw, hope continues to make leaps during the season and become a much needed scoring threat.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I have to agree.

Does Al Horford just not exist in this situation? Because I'd be preferring horford in a 2 man game late or in a post up than Terry Rozier. Every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Agree 100% in regards to Al.  He can be trusted to make the right decision every time and his clutch shooting stats have been great since joining the Celtics. 

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

For all his supposed intellect, Brown seems to like playing against his strengths at times.   He is deadly slashing and in transition but the games he does not do as well he tends to stick with the jumpshot.   We need him to do a mix of the two.

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have to agree.

Yes

But Brown and Smart are consistent versatile defenders

Iguadala, arizas of the world

May never be late go to scorers but thats ok as long as each can make the open shot