Author Topic: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"  (Read 67136 times)

Re: Jackie Mac "Rondo has told the Celtics he wants out- it will happen"
« Reply #225 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It's laughable to me though that anyone would say she 'made it up'. When has she ever fabricated anything? Being wrong factually (which is far from a given) doesn't mean she made it up. Journalists, and she is a legitimate honest to goodness journalist, don't make things up. They're not in the business of fiction. Could be bad info, could be incomplete info (and we can play the 'what if' game here for hours there. My smokin hot take is that Rondo asked out/said he wouldn't resign if the Celtics can't get some good talent in the next year or so, and Jackie Mac either didn't give the whole story or didn't have it), but to just throw out there that it's completely ficticious on her end ignores a body of work that deserves more credit and respect.

Someone made it up and told her.   Or she is twisting the truth or trying to connect the dots

Rondo not in a hurry to sign a long term deal does not mean 100 percent that he wants out right now. Rondo wanting to win a ring does not mean he wants out now necessarily. But for some reason she is coming to a conclusion that he wants out now.

I say it all the time that the way things are going, Rondo is going to be gone.  Just the probabilities of how things will turn out unless xyz.   But i can't be definite he wants out now. How can anybody really know, unless you are Danny, The assistant, The owner and maybe Brad?   

Unless she knows the janitor of where the execs work. When Rondo is traded by the deadline (good chance), i'm sure she will be relieved and we will start hearing from her of how she was right etc.

« Reply #226 on: September 02, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It's laughable to me though that anyone would say she 'made it up'. When has she ever fabricated anything? Being wrong factually (which is far from a given) doesn't mean she made it up. Journalists, and she is a legitimate honest to goodness journalist, don't make things up. They're not in the business of fiction. Could be bad info, could be incomplete info (and we can play the 'what if' game here for hours there. My smokin hot take is that Rondo asked out/said he wouldn't resign if the Celtics can't get some good talent in the next year or so, and Jackie Mac either didn't give the whole story or didn't have it), but to just throw out there that it's completely ficticious on her end ignores a body of work that deserves more credit and respect.

Someone made it up and told her.   Or she is twisting the truth or trying to connect the dots

Rondo not in a hurry to sign a long term deal does not mean 100 percent that he wants out right now. Rondo wanting to win a ring does not mean he wants out now necessarily. But for some reason she is coming to a conclusion that he wants out now.

I say it all the time that the way things are going, Rondo is going to be gone.  Just the probabilities of how things will turn out unless xyz.   But i can't be definite he wants out now. How can anybody really know, unless you are Danny, The assistant, The owner and maybe Brad?   

Unless she knows the janitor of where the execs work. When Rondo is traded by the deadline (good chance), i'm sure she will be relieved and we will start hearing from her of how she was right etc.

Not sure why someone has to have made it up though. Why couldn't it be true that he's told them he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild?

Remember she never said that Rondo demanded a trade. She just said he wants out.
Going off her recent articles that means if the team still stinks in 10 months then he'll be gone and won't put up with a rebuild.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #227 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Not sure why someone has to have made it up though. Why couldn't it be true that he's told them he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild?

Remember she never said that Rondo demanded a trade. She just said he wants out.

What is the difference?  Does "Rondo wants out" mean Rondo "wants" to be shot "out" of a cannon?

If Rondo tells the Celtics "I want out" before training camp has even begun, how is that anything other than a request/demand for a trade?

Mike

« Reply #228 on: September 03, 2014, 04:49:22 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

What is the difference?  Does "Rondo wants out" mean Rondo "wants" to be shot "out" of a cannon?

If Rondo tells the Celtics "I want out" before training camp has even begun, how is that anything other than a request/demand for a trade?

Mike

You seem like you're arguing for arguments sake.

We don't know if he literally said 'I want out'- that was Jackie Mac's description.
She didn't say he asked for a trade, she just said he wants out.

He may of asked for a trade, I'm not sure-no one is. He also may have just said he doesn't want to be part of a long rebuild so prepare for his departure. He may have said he wants out in order to put pressure on them to acquire a star.

Triboy seems convinced that she's lying or someones lied to her. I'm not sure why he's coming to that conclusion. You're convinced that he's asked for a trade, but she didn't say that either.
She just said 'He's told them he wants out'.

Your opinion is that he's asked for a trade. That's fine. Triboy's opinion is that she's lying or she's been lied to. That's fine. My opinion is that he's told them they need to hurry the hell up and get some top 20 NBA players to Boston otherwise he'll leave. Why? Because I don't believe he would demand a trade at this stage. It's in his interest to build his value up in Boston and then hit the open market as a free agent after building his value/reputation back up.
  It's also in the Celtics interest to build his value up by having him stay for at least a few months until he proves he's healthy and a top 5-10 point guard, and then trade him.

I take the above points and combine them with this 'he wants out' comment by a very respected, generally very trusted source of information for Celtics news over the last 30 years and come to the conclusions that she's probably not lying, and Rondo probably hasn't demanded a trade.
 If that's the case, then Rondo (in my opinion) has stated that he's not hanging around for a rebuild over the long term, he wants to play for championships.
 If we can't do that in the near future then he wants out.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2014, 05:34:13 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'd hate to lose Rondo, but Danny will trade him in a heartbeat.  He's been getting the Ray Allen treatment for pretty much his entire career, which is disgusting, imo, but if he's gone :'(, why not do something like this? - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=od8lx8w

Sure, on the surface it doesn't make sense, but if Smart is our point guard moving forward, at least we'd be able to free up an ass-load of cap room.

Your trade idea does not increase the Celtics cap room compared to just keeping all those players and letting them expire.  The Celtics also take in way more salary than they give up, putting the team into the luxury tax.

I thought that that was how a team made more cap room, though, by having expiring contracts coming off the books, or has something changed?  I also don't understand the whole luxury tax thing.  How much money are the owners already putting into the team?  These guys are billionaires and millionaires many times over, so what's a few million more to them?  Sorry, but I have no sympathy for these 'people.'  How can you bankroll an $80 million team and then complain about having to pay a luxury tax?  Businesses and corporations get nothing but tax breaks and kickbacks everywhere, only to suck every last ounce of marrow out of such a deal before leaving an area because it's good for them.  I hate the cutthroat culture and the playing of states against each other all so that they can stay for free for two years and then get up and leave after their deal is over, despite making promises to stay beyond their lease or whatever.  I can't stand these idiots, so when it comes to people like the owners of a sports team saying that they want to avoid the luxury tax at all costs it makes me laugh.  Grow up, get over yourself, and pay up for once in your life.  Sorry, the whole thing just makes me very angry.

Cap space is determined by salary cap minus money allocated players under contract.  Your trade idea does not change the number of players under contract for 2015-2016.  Since the Celtics are over the cap, swapping a group of expiring contracts for another group of expiring contacts doesn't change anything.

The luxury tax has an increasing penalty for teams that are repeat payers of the tax.  It's generally accept that it only makes sense to risk paying that greater penalty when you have a team that is a contender.  Even then, it seems like Lebron James left Miami in part due to the owner being unwilling to foot a large luxury tax bill.

Thanks for making my point.  Miami let Mike Miller walk because they were concerned about the luxury tax and it certainly came back to haunt them in the finals, imo.  I'm not saying that Miller would have been the difference between winning and losing a title, but iirc he was a huge factor in that 2013 series.

Also, I know how cap room is created, haha, but how would such a trade not help us financially after next season?  All 3 of those guys come off the books in addition to Thornton, if he isn't moved beforehand, so aside from losing Rondo, what's the downside? If we went with the larger trade I proposed which included a trade of Jeff Green for Tayshaun Prince, then we'd really have so room, both financially and on the roster. 

I'm not sure you do. Your trade has 4 expiring contracts being moved for 3 expiring contracts. Rondo is the best player in the deal, so unless we're getting back draft picks, which you didn't mention, then what's the point? It creates no added cap space and it doesn't even generate much of a trade exception, if any at all. So again how does adding 30m of expiring salary, while trading off approximately 29m of expiring salary, generate more cap space in the 15-16 season?

« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22:29 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

You seem like you're arguing for arguments sake.

I think that's what you're doing with this hair-splitting.

Mike

« Reply #231 on: September 03, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Jackie "the rondo hater" Mac has been downright atrocious, and pathetic with a negative bias with any and all of her reporting when it comes to rondo, fact not opinion, I'd believe a dead rats word over hers when it comes to rajon...jus saying

« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have to admit the quality of this report is about what you'd expect for off the air comments. Doc is done with Rondo? Oh really? I'm so glad we have C3PO around to tell us these things. Do you think that has anything to do with the part where he has CP3 now? If CP3 retired tomorrow watch how fast he'd call the Celts.

And who can blame Rondo if he didn't get along with a mediocre coach?

If Doc was coach of the 80s Celts how well do you think it would go over with Larry if Doc was like "Yeah. I'm gonna sit McHale and Chief. We're gonna play small ball. Lots and lots of it. And we don't really need to work on defense because when you work on offense you work on defense."

« Reply #233 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Jackie seems like a nice lady and a well-respected, competent pro.  Everyone says so, and that's been the case for awhile.

It seems there's a fairly good chance that she's wrong on this one, though.  If she is, it's a major gaffe by her.  Sometimes you have to take some risks.  Jackie has definitely gone out on a limb and taken a risk on this on.  Good for her.  But, if she's made a mistake, she should be held accountable in some way.  I'm not saying she should lose her job or anything, but some of her credibility will rightfully be diminished.

I agree, even though she is now working at ESPN she needs to hold herself to a higher standard than some of the other blowhards (on that network) that are consistently making up false stories based on inside sources. She has written some really great pieces over the years, tough to see her being just a talking head

I am curious as to what, exactly, you guys think she has to be wrong about in her initial statement -- rather than the fallout of what her position has been as represented by the 'she's a wench' contingent here.

"He's told them he wants out." 

That's a fairly clear statement.  I believe that it could well be the case that he hasn't told them anything of the kind.

So, essentially, because you don't want to believe it, the option that she's wrong over a relatively nebulous statement is more palatable.

That seems to be the thrust of most of the 'she's making it up' type posts.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #234 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
She clearly has a bias against Rondo. Isola says to her "now that love is traded, you know your boy Rondo is next". She responds "good riddance". Then she goes on to say how Doc can't stand him, but just recently Doc says he still talks to Rondo. She clearly is not a fan of Rondo.

« Reply #235 on: September 03, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I have no doubt that Rondo wants to be a free agent for everything and every reason that defines "free" and "agent."  He wants to choose.

He has to get out of his contract for that.  He likely would prefer to have been a FA this year, and he sh/would have gone to Houston, most likely, for max money, and a chance to compete meaningfully.

I can respect someone wanting both.

And as much as I like how we're looking and where we're headed, and hope Rondo does too, expect a lot more trade rumors and such, and I'm not sure starting off with a max 5-year offer is enough to prevent it if this team doesn't look good quickly.

« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jackie "the rondo hater" Mac has been downright atrocious, and pathetic with a negative bias with any and all of her reporting when it comes to rondo, fact not opinion, I'd believe a dead rats word over hers when it comes to rajon...jus saying

Check ya facts: http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8510892/rajon-rondo-steps-shadows-boston-celtics-leader

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #237 on: September 03, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Check ya facts: http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8510892/rajon-rondo-steps-shadows-boston-celtics-leader

The Rondacolytes hear what they wanna hear.  Even if contradicting evidence is out there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #238 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The Rondacolytes hear what they wanna hear.  Even if contradicting evidence is out there.

The same is true of Rondohaters.   Your both extremes of a spectrum with polarizing views that ignore anything that does not agrees with you.  There is plenty of evidence to support both sides. 

« Reply #239 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:31 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
She clearly has a bias against Rondo. Isola says to her "now that love is traded, you know your boy Rondo is next". She responds "good riddance". Then she goes on to say how Doc can't stand him, but just recently Doc says he still talks to Rondo. She clearly is not a fan of Rondo.

So I was never even able to watch the video.  Did Jackie make the "good riddance" comment in the video?  If not, where is that from?

If that is what she said about Rondo, I don't know how that is just "Rondocolytes hear what they wanna hear."  I honestly haven't paid enough attention to Jackie to know if she has some type of rondo-bias or not.  She seemed like a thoughtful writer to me, but does that make her right 100% of the time, or bias free.  I doubt it.