Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 7439 times)

Boxing
« on: June 01, 2019, 11:36:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This guy is the new heavyweight champion?

I don’t follow the sport, and he must be a heck of a puncher, but I think he and I share a personal trainer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Boxing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:40:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Fury or Wilder would crush Ruiz, and I think if Joshua gets a rematch he will too.

All throughout the lead-up I thought Joshua was being sucked into looking ahead to the fight after this one (the whole Wilder / Fury smack talk) instead of taking his opponent seriously. Disappointing that he didn't seem to take the guy seriously at all.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:46:08 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I don’t follow the sport, and he must be a heck of a puncher, but I think he and I share a personal trainer.

This is victory for all of us in the same shape!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ruiz fought an awesome fight!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 06:27:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is victory for all of us in the same shape!!!

You make look like that but I assure you he is in better shape. Boxing takes tremendous stamina.

Joshua simply does not have the heart of a champion,and was more pretender than contender.  Usually in a fight, the guy who is willing to hurt the other more, wins.   Once, Joshua got a taste of Ruiz's power, he backed off and tried to jab his way through the fit and he lost his title because of it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 06:45:02 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 07:33:28 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Joshua can't take punches and have a poor motor. All those muscles are draining his stamina fast.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 07:33:55 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:44:23 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Thats the special " Krispy Kreme ". boxing physique .... ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Every time I judge a guy by his physique in boxing I think of Two Ton Tony Galento. The trained on Beer and Roasted Chicken and had over 250 fights many of them not in the ring. He stood about 5-9 230 lbs, if you fought him you'd better bring a lunch because you were going to be there a while. He fought Joe Louis for the title and lost. He also fought Jackie Gleeson...and won. In short, the guy was a short rotund, unathletic, brawler from the 1940s that loved fighting.

Some guys just don't have an Adonis type of body no matter what they do in the gym.     

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think it's the funniest and the best thing for boxing. AJ was a bit too overconfident, he could have outboxed Ruiz with his reach advantage. He got caught by a mean hook right above the ear and that was the end of him, he's was on skates after that. Ruiz looks like the guy that ate all the pies in the cafeteria but he's got some power. I was hoping AJ's next fight would be a reunification with Deontay but that looks like it's going to wait, if it happens at all. Also gotta give Ruiz credit for taking this fight on a month's notice.

Let's hear it for Butter Bean!

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
AJ losing is probably the best thing to happen in the division right now. I'm so tired of Hearn's camp taking the belts hostage and refused to fight overseas. Duran, Pacquiao, Chavez, Trinidad and even Lewis all made their names outside their homeland.

AJ refusing to fight outside killed his worldwide marketability. And by the time he stepped on US soil, he got exposed badly.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 12:05:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
AJ losing is probably the best thing to happen in the division right now. I'm so tired of Hearn's camp taking the belts hostage and refused to fight overseas. Duran, Pacquiao, Chavez, Trinidad and even Lewis all made their names outside their homeland.

AJ refusing to fight outside killed his worldwide marketability. And by the time he stepped on US soil, he got exposed badly.
It's how boxing goes. Every champion wants to dictate terms and make things uncomfortable for the challenger. You want to start beating your opponent before they even get in the ring. It's the perk of being the Champ.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 12:58:41 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

It's how boxing goes. Every champion wants to dictate terms and make things uncomfortable for the challenger. You want to start beating your opponent before they even get in the ring. It's the perk of being the Champ.

Yeah, but even Lewis made US his home soil, despite being a British-Canadian. He could have fought in Canada or UK but he knows that he can make more money in the US.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 01:06:36 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I find it funny that one of the greatest physiques we’ve ever seen at heavyweight gets his aura of invincibility taken by a guy like Ruiz.

Happy for him, but worried for AJ. Not the first time he’s been rocked, and he clearly can’t take big shots too well. Not that he’s tasted defeat and everyone knows he can get hurt, he may never be the same (like Roy Jones, but he was also a lot older).

As great as an upset as it was, boxing got robbed of yet another potential megafight. Even if Joshua avenges this and reclaims his titles, it’s just not the same caliber fight anymore. I thought Wilder would beat him after his last couple fights, but this just furthered my stance.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 01:39:23 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
I find it funny that one of the greatest physiques we’ve ever seen at heavyweight gets his aura of invincibility taken by a guy like Ruiz.

Happy for him, but worried for AJ. Not the first time he’s been rocked, and he clearly can’t take big shots too well. Not that he’s tasted defeat and everyone knows he can get hurt, he may never be the same (like Roy Jones, but he was also a lot older).

As great as an upset as it was, boxing got robbed of yet another potential megafight. Even if Joshua avenges this and reclaims his titles, it’s just not the same caliber fight anymore. I thought Wilder would beat him after his last couple fights, but this just furthered my stance.

Roy destroyed his body by adding then removing alot of muscles. He was never the same after he returned to light heavyweight after gaining 25lb of muscles.

AJ was just fundamentally flawed. And I heard the guy doesn't do much roadwork. That's a no-no, especially for endurance sports like boxing. UK seems to have lots of boxers with glass chin.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 02:09:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Roy destroyed his body by adding then removing alot of muscles. He was never the same after he returned to light heavyweight after gaining 25lb of muscles.

AJ was just fundamentally flawed. And I heard the guy doesn't do much roadwork. That's a no-no, especially for endurance sports like boxing. UK seems to have lots of boxers with glass chin.
Ironically the UK has produced Fury too, who got hit by a sledgehammer when he fought Wilder and somehow got up. Looking forward to the rematch between those two.

Hopefully Joshua can knuckle down (pun not intended) and get back to being a mega-fight prospect with the other two
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)