Author Topic: Theis qualifying offer rescinded - Cheick Diallo? (EDIT: He's staying)  (Read 5782 times)

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
I like Theis quite a bit. Don't mind him as a player and he seems like a great team guy as well. I think there are good arguments on both sides regarding whether he's worth the salary he received or not. My hope was that perhaps this move created enough cap space to give one more big (Tyson Chandler or Cheick Diallo) a bit more than the vet min, and then still be able to resign Theis to his current offer using their rights to him..

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
From an article I read today:

"Since Theis is now an unrestricted free agent, the Celtics can use Early Bird Rights to re-sign him to the agreed-upon $10 million. This, in turn, frees up additional cap space for Boston to use on their open 15th roster spot, which was opened when the team waived and stretched Guerschon Yabusele earlier this week."

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I like Theis quite a bit. Don't mind him as a player and he seems like a great team guy as well. I think there are good arguments on both sides regarding whether he's worth the salary he received or not. My hope was that perhaps this move created enough cap space to give one more big (Tyson Chandler or Cheick Diallo) a bit more than the vet min, and then still be able to resign Theis to his current offer using their rights to him..

Why would you want those scrubs. When you have Superman. The Towering Tacko!

Re: Daniel Theis contract rescinded - Cheick Diallo?
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 07:24:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Yeah, I think this was just a timing and procedural move to assure everyone, including Theis, was able to sign their already agreed to deals. Really nothing to see here. Theis is getting his $10 million over the next two years from Boston.

Theis is getting $10 million/2 years!!!

He is a frickin' 3rd string center!

What a waste
Look around the league, that number is very similar to others.  At times he could be 2nd string, or even start.

Theis was our backup last year and he was a liability.

He is a 3rd stringer. Too weak physically. Too easily overpowered. A middling defender. A sub-par rebounder. And not productive enough offensively to make up for it. That makes him a very good 3rd stringer but out of his depth as a primary backup center.

He's a bench center and spot starter in a small ball line up in the NBA. He stretches the floor, defends, sets really good screens, and doesn't turn the ball over.
His salary is more about making trades more achievable too. $5 million expiring is a great trade asset.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Diallo signed with Phoenix