Author Topic: NFL Arrests - average of 1 a week for last 5 years  (Read 9116 times)

Re: NFL Arrests - average of 1 a week for last 5 years
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
and yet Brady merits a 4-game suspension while these 1-a-week guys get less if nothing at all
and that is the way it should be.  arrests don't affect the outcome of the game at all.
let them try playing with the handcuffs -- now THAT would make it far more interesting ;)
Ha. 

I've long thought the NFL shouldn't punish for off-field incidents that don't affect the outcome of a game (so drugs are obviously different).  If a team wants to punish or cut a guy, so be it, but the league shouldn't care.  I believe the NFL is in fact the only sports league that punishes people for off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) conduct.  At least I can't remember any basketball or baseball players being suspended by the NBA or MLB for an off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) arrest.  That is the way it should be.

The NBA at least does this all the time.  Mainly for DUIs and the like lately, but that's largely because NBA players haven't been getting arrested much for non-driving offenses in recent years. 

I guess DUIs can be considered drug-related, but Tyreke Evans for example got hit with one for a reckless driving offense.  Plus remember Delonte getting caught with those guns?  He got 10 games for that one.
yup.

also, let's not forget that the NFL players union is the weakest players union in major sports.  owners can do more to players in the NFL than any other sport.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
you know... i'm honestly surprised there aren't MORE arrests. an arrest every week in a league with 2,000 players really isn't THAT much. you have a sport with huge rosters full of brain-damaged guys that encourages violence and steroid use.

add to that a culture of frat-house-like irresponsibility and partying (see jonathan martin/richie incognito conversations), and you have a recipe for all sorts of dysfunction.
+1
Once a week ain't bad

They were actually discussing the arrests on local radio out here and said that the arrest rate of the NFL is lower than the general population. I don't know if that is actually true, but kind of doubt they would make it up.

I don't know about relative to the general population overall - I suspect it's a little higher - but compared to similar age/gender groups the NFL is lower across the board.  538 did an analysis during the Ray Rice flap:

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One would expect professional athletes to have a lower arrest record across the board -- owing to the perks that the level of celebrity grants you, both in an "he's in the NFL we'll let him off with a warning" way and in a "you have enough money to avoid the police should you wish to engage in something that is illegal" sort of way.

You have enough money to get a marijuana prescription card and a cab for your drunk friends, in other words. You're not stealing anything because you have money already, etc.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
One would expect professional athletes to have a lower arrest record across the board -- owing to the perks that the level of celebrity grants you, both in an "he's in the NFL we'll let him off with a warning" way and in a "you have enough money to avoid the police should you wish to engage in something that is illegal" sort of way.

You have enough money to get a marijuana prescription card and a cab for your drunk friends, in other words. You're not stealing anything because you have money already, etc.

TP - what he said.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Psh, you have enough money to run a drug cartel and never see/touch the dope.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I agree "one a week" isn't outrageous. 

But what I find interesting is that there appear to be far more arrests (even if you normalize for larger league/more players) than other leagues.  I wonder what the percentages are for the other major sports.

And further, why is the NFL the one that has some more "extreme" arrests, i.e., murder.  (at least that is my impression --- I guess the NBA had Javaris Crittenden...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a stat that said MMA fighters commit significantly more violent crimes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

But what I find interesting is that there appear to be far more arrests (even if you normalize for larger league/more players) than other leagues.  I wonder what the percentages are for the other major sports.

And further, why is the NFL the one that has some more "extreme" arrests, i.e., murder.  (at least that is my impression --- I guess the NBA had Javaris Crittenden...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a stat that said MMA fighters commit significantly more violent crimes.
That article (or review) included a lot more than just the active UFC fighters, which makes it a bit of a bad comparison. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
and yet Brady merits a 4-game suspension while these 1-a-week guys get less if nothing at all
and that is the way it should be.  arrests don't affect the outcome of the game at all.
let them try playing with the handcuffs -- now THAT would make it far more interesting ;)
Ha. 

I've long thought the NFL shouldn't punish for off-field incidents that don't affect the outcome of a game (so drugs are obviously different).  If a team wants to punish or cut a guy, so be it, but the league shouldn't care.  I believe the NFL is in fact the only sports league that punishes people for off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) conduct.  At least I can't remember any basketball or baseball players being suspended by the NBA or MLB for an off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) arrest.  That is the way it should be.

They felt the need to fix an image problem that they felt was hurting their brand. Hardly surprising.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I have seen things alluding to this too. Seems kind of obvious, to me, but that's total bias.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I have seen things alluding to this too. Seems kind of obvious, to me, but that's total bias.
I was actually watching a report on the MMA fighters and how in violent crimes they should be charged with deadly weapon category as they train to fight as a profession. So I'm not sure they are any more violent then the average person but it's confirmed that they probably do more harm/damage when they fight someone.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I was actually watching a report on the MMA fighters and how in violent crimes they should be charged with deadly weapon category as they train to fight as a profession. So I'm not sure they are any more violent then the average person but it's confirmed that they probably do more harm/damage when they fight someone.

Four times as many players in the NFL as in the NBA. Are there a dozen NBA arrests in a year? Seems so. And, I believe those are the two major leagues that have the highest percentage of players from high-crime, disadvantaged demographics. Also, more low-paid, barely hanging on, players with short careers in the NFL, I'd imagine. 

I'd also imagine it's easier for the NBA to apply concentrated resources to help keep their players out of trouble than it is for the NFL. Same probably applies for pro-level promising players coming up the ranks through school and college.

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I believe you can get charged with deadly weapon type things (don't know the exact language, sorry) if you kick someone in a fight?

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Ha. 

I agree with that.  Our justice system has a tough enough time getting these matters right.  The NFL took on an impossible task by assuming this responsibility.  They should have left it with the teams like every other league and let them handle it as well as any public backlash.

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
you know... i'm honestly surprised there aren't MORE arrests. an arrest every week in a league with 2,000 players really isn't THAT much. you have a sport with huge rosters full of brain-damaged guys that encourages violence and steroid use.

add to that a culture of frat-house-like irresponsibility and partying (see jonathan martin/richie incognito conversations), and you have a recipe for all sorts of dysfunction.

Are there companies with 2,000 employees that have an arrest a week?

I honestly don't know the answer, but I kind of doubt it.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 02:51:14 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
The statistics and comparisons don't make the actual crimes committed by NFL players any better or worse. As a group of citizens who have a lot of advantages ordinary folk don't, their statistics should be a lot lower - if considered at all.

There is obviously a problem with young men being paid more money than they are able to handle and feeling their position gives them immunity.

Even if the crimes are not related to games, these men are role models and held in high esteem by society, and particularly impressionable young people. They are well paid to compensate for the first world problems brought by fame and should be able to lead their lives in the way ordinary folk are expected to, and pay for their crimes.

I love sports and I love to see my teams winning. I am not willing to let that love override the law and overlook social drug use, drink driving or any other number of crimes that might not affect the outcome of games. If a player wants to achieve the standard of a professional in the NFL (or any other league/association), they should behave in a way that reflects their standing.

Just my opinion, but if you lower the expectation, then expect lower standards and a reflection of this across society. I would rather a losing season than a team that contains drug users, wife beaters, drink drivers, gambling addicts or other similar acts. The organisation I support should also be doing all they can to combat these problems, not just covering them up or acting to limit the financial cost.