Author Topic: NFL Arrests - average of 1 a week for last 5 years  (Read 9110 times)

NFL Arrests - average of 1 a week for last 5 years
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/which-nfl-team-has-had-the-most-arrests-over-the-last-five-years-133357974.html

This is all arrests, so Aldon Smith's 5 separate arrest all count against San Francisco's 12.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: NFL Arrests - average of 1 a week for last 5 years
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
you know... i'm honestly surprised there aren't MORE arrests. an arrest every week in a league with 2,000 players really isn't THAT much. you have a sport with huge rosters full of brain-damaged guys that encourages violence and steroid use.

add to that a culture of frat-house-like irresponsibility and partying (see jonathan martin/richie incognito conversations), and you have a recipe for all sorts of dysfunction.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
you know... i'm honestly surprised there aren't MORE arrests. an arrest every week in a league with 2,000 players really isn't THAT much. you have a sport with huge rosters full of brain-damaged guys that encourages violence and steroid use.

add to that a culture of frat-house-like irresponsibility and partying (see jonathan martin/richie incognito conversations), and you have a recipe for all sorts of dysfunction.
+1
Once a week ain't bad

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I agree "one a week" isn't outrageous. 

But what I find interesting is that there appear to be far more arrests (even if you normalize for larger league/more players) than other leagues.  I wonder what the percentages are for the other major sports.

And further, why is the NFL the one that has some more "extreme" arrests, i.e., murder.  (at least that is my impression --- I guess the NBA had Javaris Crittenden...)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
and yet Brady merits a 4-game suspension while these 1-a-week guys get less if nothing at all

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
and yet Brady merits a 4-game suspension while these 1-a-week guys get less if nothing at all
and that is the way it should be.  arrests don't affect the outcome of the game at all.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:12:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
and that is the way it should be.  arrests don't affect the outcome of the game at all.
let them try playing with the handcuffs -- now THAT would make it far more interesting ;)

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
let them try playing with the handcuffs -- now THAT would make it far more interesting ;)
Ha. 

I've long thought the NFL shouldn't punish for off-field incidents that don't affect the outcome of a game (so drugs are obviously different).  If a team wants to punish or cut a guy, so be it, but the league shouldn't care.  I believe the NFL is in fact the only sports league that punishes people for off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) conduct.  At least I can't remember any basketball or baseball players being suspended by the NBA or MLB for an off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) arrest.  That is the way it should be.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah but then the league couldn't act like they're imparting an ESSENTIAL MORAL CODE which is central to a lot (like a lot a lot) of their marketing and official aesthetic.

You can bash each other until your brains are oozing out your ears and we'll pump you full of pain pills and booze so you can come out and be our cattle once a week, but if you do something bad, heaven help you, the NFL is only a place for the righteous brute.

There are, obviously, a lot of NFL players who are really nice people. That's just how the league tends to come across.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Exactly!  That's why the refs felt is was so important that they delayed the start of the second half to measure all 12 of the Colts' balls...oh wait...

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Blah..blah...blah....integrity....blah...blah...blah....protecting the shield.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 02:25:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ha. 

I've long thought the NFL shouldn't punish for off-field incidents that don't affect the outcome of a game (so drugs are obviously different).  If a team wants to punish or cut a guy, so be it, but the league shouldn't care.  I believe the NFL is in fact the only sports league that punishes people for off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) conduct.  At least I can't remember any basketball or baseball players being suspended by the NBA or MLB for an off-field (non-drug, non-gambling) arrest.  That is the way it should be.

The NBA at least does this all the time.  Mainly for DUIs and the like lately, but that's largely because NBA players haven't been getting arrested much for non-driving offenses in recent years. 

I guess DUIs can be considered drug-related, but Tyreke Evans for example got hit with one for a reckless driving offense.  Plus remember Delonte getting caught with those guns?  He got 10 games for that one.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Blah..blah...blah....integrity....blah...blah...blah....protecting the shield.

Exactly, integrity we are such a clean perfect organization, child please.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

+1
Once a week ain't bad

They were actually discussing the arrests on local radio out here and said that the arrest rate of the NFL is lower than the general population. I don't know if that is actually true, but kind of doubt they would make it up.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

+1
Once a week ain't bad

They were actually discussing the arrests on local radio out here and said that the arrest rate of the NFL is lower than the general population. I don't know if that is actually true, but kind of doubt they would make it up.

Yeah, with over 50 players on a team (not even counting practice squads and players who rotate in and out of them), you're looking at between 1,600 and 2,000 players in the league.  Considering the NBA is likely around 500 players, it puts things into greater context.