Author Topic: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015  (Read 65717 times)

Re: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ben Volin reports Revis wanted $40 fully guaranteed over 3 yrs and the Pats balked on that -- were reportedly ok with the amount but wanted team outs.

https://twitter.com/BenVolin/status/575412198551478272

Am I crazy, or does this sound  reasonable for a player of Revis' stature?

My guess is that is a cash flow thing.  $40 million fully guaranteed means the Pats have to put up the $40 million up front into an escrow account from my understanding of the process.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:31 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Ben Volin reports Revis wanted $40 fully guaranteed over 3 yrs and the Pats balked on that -- were reportedly ok with the amount but wanted team outs.

I'm confused. If the Patriots are okay with giving him $40M guaranteed, that means they have to pay him $40M no matter what, right? So then there couldn't be any "outs."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Jason La Canfora        ? @JasonLaCanfora
Revis's reps have told teams they have $48M for 3yrs on the table now, with $40M guaranteed. My sense if that is from the Jets...
Ugh.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

I'm confused. If the Patriots are okay with giving him $40M guaranteed, that means they have to pay him $40M no matter what, right? So then there couldn't be any "outs."
They're ok with the money, not with the guarantee. Just because a contract is nonguaranteed doesn't mean the player will be cut.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2015, 06:22:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

They're ok with the money, not with the guarantee. Just because a contract is nonguaranteed doesn't mean the player will be cut.

I am not sure how Revis fits in with where the Jets are as a franchise or where Revis is in his career. They are a few years away from contention with the qbs and rb's on their roster and a new head coach. They went out and got marshal and revis. It seems like they will be a candidate for 9-7 with these guys but not much more. Is that way off?

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I am not sure how Revis fits in with where the Jets are as a franchise or where Revis is in his career. They are a few years away from contention with the qbs and rb's on their roster and a new head coach. They went out and got marshal and revis. It seems like they will be a candidate for 9-7 with these guys but not much more. Is that way off?
Depends on whether they'll find a QB. I don't see Gino winning 9 games.

edit: That'd be Geno. Freudian slip...

Re: Patriots Free Agency Updates 2015
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Bradford to Philly for Nick Foles.

Philly also gets a 2nd rounder.
I thought Bradford was the best player in this deal by quite a margin. And Philly gets a pick for their "trouble"?! Is his contract that bad?

edit: Reports are that Philly is sending, not getting a pick. That makes more sense.

Most reports I've seen are that Philly and St. Louis will be swapping picks, with Philly moving up in a round.  I've seen that round reported as the 1st, 2nd, or 4th.  I've also seen Philly reportedly getting a conditional pick next year. 

Like you, I agree that Bradford is the better player in this deal.  But he does make $11.5 million more than Foles, so there's certainly value in reallocating those dollars elsewhere if you're St. Louis -- arguably enough to give up some draft compensation.  We'll see what that compensation is.

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I thought Bradford was the best player in this deal by quite a margin. And Philly gets a pick for their "trouble"?! Is his contract that bad?

edit: Reports are that Philly is sending, not getting a pick. That makes more sense.

Most reports I've seen are that Philly and St. Louis will be swapping picks, with Philly moving up in a round.  I've seen that round reported as the 1st, 2nd, or 4th.  I've also seen Philly reportedly getting a conditional pick next year. 

Like you, I agree that Bradford is the better player in this deal.  But he does make $11.5 million more than Foles, so there's certainly value in reallocating those dollars elsewhere if you're St. Louis -- arguably enough to give up some draft compensation.  We'll see what that compensation is.

Not to mention the HUGE injury concern attached to Bradford.

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2015, 06:41:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yes, although Foles isn't without his own injury concerns, and both are in the last years of their contracts.

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2015, 06:41:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

My guess is that is a cash flow thing.  $40 million fully guaranteed means the Pats have to put up the $40 million up front into an escrow account from my understanding of the process.
Didn't they free up a ton of escrow  cash in the latest Brady restructure?

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
More LaCanfora on Revis:

Jason La CanforaVerified account
?@JasonLaCanfora
We'll see if any one else trumps that. Patriots had been in the mid-30s in terms of guaranteed money. KC has been in it as well.
If the Pats came in at, say, $45 million with $35 million guaranteed, wonder whether he'll elect to sign for $48/$40 with the Jets...

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2015, 06:47:45 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I don't think that's off at all. Terrible QB, terrible run game, only one good receiver. As I said elsewhere, the D is going to have to hold opponents to about 12 points a game in order to get a decent amount of wins.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

• Satch Sanders
More LaCanfora on Revis:

?@JasonLaCanfora
We'll see if any one else trumps that. Patriots had been in the mid-30s in terms of guaranteed money. KC has been in it as well.

Losing Revis would be bad enough; losing him to the Jets would be worse.

Bad enough that NE already lost Vereen to the Giants.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yes, although Foles isn't without his own injury concerns, and both are in the last years of their contracts.

?@JasonLaCanfora
Full terms: Eagles acquire Sam Bradford and 5th round draft pick in 15 for Nick Foles, 4th round pick in 15 and 2nd round pick in 2016.
That's a lot of bang for your Bradford.

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2015, 06:56:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Didn't they free up a ton of escrow  cash in the latest Brady restructure?

Yup.  The dollars didn't change but the wording changed in the guarantee to "injury only" or something like that so the Pats were able to get around making that huge guarantee escrow payment.