Author Topic: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015  (Read 65799 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Updates 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Gets a LOT of penalties.
On the other hand, some people concluded last season that taking a lot of penalties doesn't necessarily hurt you all that much.

The last two SB champs were among league leaders in penalties. So there's that.

Helps having a 6'4" corner.  Those guys don't grow on trees. 

If Browner is 5'10", I'm not sure Butler makes that INT at the end of the Super Bowl.   Browner was the key to setting up the INT by standing up Kearse at the LOS. 

As much as the penalties are frustrating, Browner was an extremely important part of the playoff run.  Had a very strong postseason.  I'd love to have him back.

Agreed. I'd love to have him back. I think the likelihood is high that he will be back. If the Pats are lucky, he is back on a more modest deal.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Gets a LOT of penalties.
On the other hand, some people concluded last season that taking a lot of penalties doesn't necessarily hurt you all that much.

If Browner is 5'10", I'm not sure Butler makes that INT at the end of the Super Bowl.   Browner was the key to setting up the INT by standing up Kearse at the LOS. 

As much as the penalties are frustrating, Browner was an extremely important part of the playoff run.  Had a very strong postseason.  I'd love to have him back.
I feel the same way about Vereen. But ultimately, both of those guys may fall casualty to the fact that (a) you can't have everything, and (b) Revis is more important.

And then, there are the guys noone is talking about: Connolly, Casillas, Branch, Ridley... I wonder whether they'll try to restructure Mayo to bring any of those back.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Looks like Vereen is headed to the Giants.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Gets a LOT of penalties.

I feel the same way about Vereen. But ultimately, both of those guys may fall casualty to the fact that (a) you can't have everything, and (b) Revis is more important.

And then, there are the guys noone is talking about: Connolly, Casillas, Branch, Ridley... I wonder whether they'll try to restructure Mayo to bring any of those back.

My understanding is they can't restructure Mayo's deal until he's medically cleared. So, might be some time before that happens. More immediate potential restructurings are Browner, Amendola, and possible extension/ restructure for Solder.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gets a LOT of penalties.

Yeah, clearly Revis has to be the #1 focus right now.  All indications are that Vereen is gone.  Sounds like they may see what they have with James White heading into the season.  Also saw that Pats were reportedly kicking the tires on Roy Helu.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Gets a LOT of penalties.

Yeah, clearly Revis has to be the #1 focus right now.  All indications are that Vereen is gone.  Sounds like they may see what they have with James White heading into the season.  Also saw that Pats were reportedly kicking the tires on Roy Helu.

I did read that helu, as a free agent, would cost compensatory picks whereas bush or pierre thomas, as cuts, would not cost picks. Bush as a pass play back in this offense, if cheap, could be pretty interesting.

As for browner, if hes cheap enough, great. But teams, especially SB ones, cant keep everyone so gotta make choices. Saving 5 mill on browner when you have denare and butler and trying to keep revis is understandable.

Im not sure cause and effect are established for penalties. If that is your strategic goal, though, there must be plenty of cheap players you can pay to grab on every pass play.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Apparently $4m/year for 4 years.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
My understanding is they can't restructure Mayo's deal until he's medically cleared. So, might be some time before that happens. More immediate potential restructurings are Browner, Amendola, and possible extension/ restructure for Solder.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you restructure someone, the dead money on the current contract still counts towards the cap. If this is the case, an Amendola restructuring will save a couple of million at best.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 02:25:53 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you restructure someone, the dead money on the current contract still counts towards the cap. If this is the case, an Amendola restructuring will save a couple of million at best.

Yes. That's my understanding as well. Also, cutting him doesn't do much - yes, he will make something like $5M, but the Pats don't "get" that back by cutting him, as some people tend to think. Instead, by cutting him, Pats free up about $1.5M. So, much better to restructure, free up the 1.5m and keep Amendola than cut him and free up 1.5M, in my opinion.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Basically every Amendola scenario possible.

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=1394

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Basically every Amendola scenario possible.

http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=1394
NFL cap rules are making my head spin...

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Letting him go for that much and getting a compensatory pick in the process is a very good deal and if we get Reggie Bush for a really nice deal then it would probably be the best deal imaginable.

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Letting him go for that much and getting a compensatory pick in the process is a very good deal and if we get Reggie Bush for a really nice deal then it would probably be the best deal imaginable.
I suspect they may try to get by with Blount, Gray, White, and Gaffney this season. I'm just hoping to avoid any Bolden sightings.

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 02:43:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Shane Vereen is dead to me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
LeGarette Blount to Arizona....

... for a vacation  ;D