Author Topic: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015  (Read 65835 times)

Re: Patriots & NFL Free Agency Updates 2015
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Didn't New England cut Revis because they didn't want to pay him the last year of his contract?  Why on earth would anyone be upset at Revis for leaving a team that had just cut him.  Really seems strange.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What's the problem?  He's getting more money, and he's playing in a city that he loves. 

Some players value things other than winning, and I respect that.  Similarly, I respect when a player chooses winning over money (i.e., Ray Allen).  These guys are motivated by the sames things that all employees are:  money, security, respect, recognition, etc.

Yup, I disagree with his motivation here but it is what it is, that's his choice. 

I always thought whoever paid him the most would get him, I was just hopeful that this time the pats would pony up the money. 

Finally, at this point with no Browner and Revis, and only 13 mill in cap space, i'm hopeful the pats will trade Brady and start the rebuild.

Seriously? Until Brady's arm falls off Im totally sticking with the NE system. 11-14 wins, playoffs, and a shot at the title if you get a break or two. Thats great.

I don't see a scenario where the Pats can win a title as currently constituted.  Unless they make a move for somebody that I currently don't think is available I don't see it over the course of the rest of Brady's career. 

Brady still has value and the pats are a young team.  IF the pats can get a player and a first in a deal similar to the Jimmy Graham deal I would go for it in a heartbeat

Who in the AFC is better than them?

The Broncos seem like they will decline.  The Colts should improve, but there's a big gap between them and the Pats.  Nobody else seems to be a legit challenger at this point.

The Patriots are going to be the AFC favorite to reach the Super Bowl.  In the NFC, only Seattle and Green Bay seem like they can challenge them.

If you're projected as a top-3 team in the league, why would you rebuild?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Didn't New England cut Revis because they didn't want to pay him the last year of his contract?  Why on earth would anyone be upset at Revis for leaving a team that had just cut him.  Really seems strange.
Being cut is a non-restrictive formality in football, commonly used to circumnavigate certain cap deadlines. It's not like the NBA where a cut is basically saying "you're useless." In the NFL, you can resign a player right after you cut him. The Patriots needed to be under a set amount of salary (actually cap hit, but it doesn't matter for this) by yesterday at 4pm, and they cut Revis so they could get under and continue negotiating. Unfortunately, Revis had other things in mind.

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2015, 08:28:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It definitely seems like the Pats were caught napping here and just weren't very aggressive. I think they may have failed to properly value the player and, more importantly, the player's impact.

It sends a pretty horrid message to free agents. It's going to make it harder to get and keep them now.

If I'm an NFL free agent right now the message I'm getting out of New England is "If you're Vince Wilfork we'll cut you. If you're a Revis we won't match you. If you're a younger mid tier guy like Vereen you're gone".

It makes me wonder if agents of draftees want to try to steer their guys away from New England, but I suppose if you represent a DB this year you want to steer him to NE all of a sudden.

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
What's the problem?  He's getting more money, and he's playing in a city that he loves. 

Some players value things other than winning, and I respect that.  Similarly, I respect when a player chooses winning over money (i.e., Ray Allen).  These guys are motivated by the sames things that all employees are:  money, security, respect, recognition, etc.

Yup, I disagree with his motivation here but it is what it is, that's his choice. 

I always thought whoever paid him the most would get him, I was just hopeful that this time the pats would pony up the money. 

Finally, at this point with no Browner and Revis, and only 13 mill in cap space, i'm hopeful the pats will trade Brady and start the rebuild.

Seriously? Until Brady's arm falls off Im totally sticking with the NE system. 11-14 wins, playoffs, and a shot at the title if you get a break or two. Thats great.

I don't see a scenario where the Pats can win a title as currently constituted.  Unless they make a move for somebody that I currently don't think is available I don't see it over the course of the rest of Brady's career. 

Brady still has value and the pats are a young team.  IF the pats can get a player and a first in a deal similar to the Jimmy Graham deal I would go for it in a heartbeat

The Broncos seem like they will decline.  The Colts should improve, but there's a big gap between them and the Pats.  Nobody else seems to be a legit challenger at this point.

The Patriots are going to be the AFC favorite to reach the Super Bowl.  In the NFC, only Seattle and Green Bay seem like they can challenge them.

Baltimore woke up this morning thinking they are better. Without Revis I'm not sure New England wins that game.

I want championships. I don't want "a shot" at a championship. I don't want "to compete" for a championship. I don't want "to be in the mix" for one. I don't want to be "a top 3 NFL team".

Just once I'd like to wake up feeling we are the clear cut favorites and not like we need a thousand things to go our way and not to have to put all this faith in BB and his shell type accounting.

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If I'm an NFL free agent right now the message I'm getting out of New England is "If you're Vince Wilfork we'll cut you. If you're a Revis we won't match you. If you're a younger mid tier guy like Vereen you're gone".

Hasn't this always been the Patriots way, though?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2015, 08:33:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Jets still have 20+ million in cap space after the Revis deal.  I wouldn't be surprised if they make a move for Brees. 

Pats lost Wilfork, Revis, Browner and only have 13 million to plug those holes.  Additionally they spent a 2nd round pick on a QB last season.  With the age of their team if they can add a probowl caliber offense of defensive lineman and a first round pick They can set their team up for another big run
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Being cut is a non-restrictive formality in football, commonly used to circumnavigate certain cap deadlines. It's not like the NBA where a cut is basically saying "you're useless." In the NFL, you can resign a player right after you cut him. The Patriots needed to be under a set amount of salary (actually cap hit, but it doesn't matter for this) by yesterday at 4pm, and they cut Revis so they could get under and continue negotiating. Unfortunately, Revis had other things in mind.
You don't have to explain the cap to me, I am fully familiar with it, my point is, New England had Revis under contract and cut him.  If they wanted to keep him all they had to do was pick up his option.  No fan should be upset that a player, who was under contract and then cut, decides to leave the team that deemed he wasn't worth his contract and cut him.  All you fans should be upset with the Patriots not Revis.

« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Baltimore woke up this morning thinking they are better. Without Revis I'm not sure New England wins that game.

I want championships. I don't want "a shot" at a championship. I don't want "to compete" for a championship. I don't want "to be in the mix" for one. I don't want to be "a top 3 NFL team".

Just once I'd like to wake up feeling we are the clear cut favorites and not like we need a thousand things to go our way and not to have to put all this faith in BB and his shell type accounting.

The Ravens have lost Ngata, Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels and Pernell McPhee, at minimum.  The Pats are the clear favorite in the conference unless the Colts make a big leap.

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

No it hasn't. Aaron Hernandez got paid. Back in the day Wilfork got paid and so did Mankins. Gronk got paid. McCourty got paid (although he turned down bigger contracts). Some guys got franchised and it worked out at least a little longer. Yes. Some guys like Brady and Bruschi signed very team friendly deals. Some other guys (Richard Seymore) got paid. Shoulda paid the man.

« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2015, 08:37:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I don't think Baltimore thinks they are better than they were yesterday (though still might think they are better than New England since Baltimore probably should have won that game).  Lost Ngata, McPhee, T. Smith, and O. Daniels and didn't replace them with anyone yet.

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The Ravens have lost Ngata, Torrey Smith, Owen Daniels and Pernell McPhee, at minimum.  The Pats are the clear favorite in the conference unless the Colts make a big leap.
The Ravens are having some problems too, but we also lost Wilfork and Revis was worth two of those guys or maybe three.
My big hope is that Jerod Mayo can come back and play a whole good season. We really really need that now.

It's not like there's no hope. With the growth of the young guys (Harmon, Ryan, Butler), maybe an added decent draft pick, and a decent free agent aaannnnddd eeevvvvveerrrryyyoonnne stays totally healthy IF they bring back Browner they can be a pretty good secondary, and hopefully add a pass rusher to help them.

But it was undeniable the difference Revis made on the field. It lifted the defense immensely.

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

No it hasn't. Aaron Hernandez got paid. Back in the day Wilfork got paid and so did Mankins. Gronk got paid. McCourty got paid (although he turned down bigger contracts). Some guys got franchised and it worked out at least a little longer. Yes. Some guys like Brady and Bruschi signed very team friendly deals. Some other guys (Richard Seymore) got paid. Shoulda paid the man.

The Pats have never been afraid to walk away from guys, though.  Law, Milloy, Seymour, Mankins, etc.  They'll pay guys, but only when they think they guys are worth the contract.

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
My big hope is that what this is really about is getting Chandler and Hightower and Jamie Collins team friendly long term contracts.

They should be on the phone with every one of them on a big party line and be like "You know what that was about? That was about keeping you guys with us for life. You're our boys."

« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:04 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The Pats have never been afraid to walk away from guys, though.  Law, Milloy, Seymour, Mankins, etc.  They'll pay guys, but only when they think they guys are worth the contract.
Oh yeah. And there were more like Welker. My only contention there is that those guys aren't game changers in the same way. (Maybe Seymour. Maaayybbbee Law). Revis was the closest I've seen to Brady in importance since Brady won his first ring.