Poll

If you are a pure-breed Boston sports fans, vote for the loss that hurt the most

2007 New England Patriots - lost Superbowl after 16-0 season
10 (29.4%)
2010 Boston Celtics - lost Game 7 to Lakers
17 (50%)
2019 Boston Bruins - lost Game 7 to the Blues
1 (2.9%)
1986 Boston Red Sox - lost Game 7 to the Mets
6 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Most disappointing Championship loss  (Read 11374 times)

Re: Most disappointing Championship loss
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
2007 Pats. 2010 Cs was pretty close for me though

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have long thought that the '07 Pats season was #1 on this list and they will likely never have another chance at a perfect season (although 16-0 reg season still holds up); however, recent SBs have changed my mind. The Butler INT and the ATL comeback were some of the best wins in sports history. I am not saying we didn't deserve those games, but they helped take the sting off of '07 (and '11).

But the more time that goes by, the more I get upset at the 2010 Cs. They had a chance to go up 18-15 in championships to the hated Lakers (I know Minny has some of those and they shouldn't count, but that is not the consensus out there). We were up 3-2 in the series and up with just few minutes to go before it all crumbled apart. It was devastating now and seeing how our current chances are about to go up in smoke, it creates even more disappointment.

I feel similar to the '86 WS as I do to the Pats. The Red Sox have been monsters this century. At the time, it was like the worst thing ever, but time has helped heal those wounds.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm confused why the 2008 SB is on this list. That was the single greatest moment in sports ever. So satisfying.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Objectively it has to be the '86 Sox, right?  The Celtics won it all two years before the '10 run.  Bruins have won within the last decade.  Patriots' loss was disappointing in the sense that it spoiled a perfect season, but they've still done nothing but win since the turn of the century.  Hard to be too crushed about that.

But the '86 Sox... this was a success-starved franchise that hadn't won it all in nearly 70 years at that point, and wouldn't finally clear the hurdle for another 18 years.  I wasn't alive for it, but I have to imagine that that one hurt far, far more than the others on the list. 

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm confused why the 2008 SB is on this list. That was the single greatest moment in sports ever. So satisfying.
You monster
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Forgot you were a Giants fan. I guess I can overlook that my friend

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Objectively it has to be the '86 Sox, right?  The Celtics won it all two years before the '10 run.  Bruins have won within the last decade.  Patriots' loss was disappointing in the sense that it spoiled a perfect season, but they've still done nothing but win since the turn of the century.  Hard to be too crushed about that.

But the '86 Sox... this was a success-starved franchise that hadn't won it all in nearly 70 years at that point, and wouldn't finally clear the hurdle for another 18 years.  I wasn't alive for it, but I have to imagine that that one hurt far, far more than the others on the list.
Absolutely correct.  I WAS alive and it WAS a true heart-breaker.  THAT SAID, the most heart-breaking moment of all was Bucky Dent's home run, but that wasn't a championship game.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Absolutely correct.  I WAS alive and it WAS a true heart-breaker.  THAT SAID, the most heart-breaking moment of all was Bucky Dent's home run, but that wasn't a championship game.

If we're going with non-championships, then Aaron Boone's has to top the list, right? Game 7, tie game, bottom of the 11th, then BOOM, series over.

Of course it would all be made up the next year (and the next 14), but we were 17 years away from 1986 and still hadn't won it.

The saving grace was that the Marlins of all teams went on to beat the f'ing Yankees in the WS.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The Bill Buckner error was about as heartbreaking a sports moment as any in all of sports and possibly, sports most famous heartbreaking moment. I mean, how many documentaries have been done on that moment and that series and team.

I remember being at a bar watching it. The place was packed. I think every bar in New England was that night. The bar owner broke out cases and cases of champagne and started pouring complimentary drinks for everyone so when the Sox won, everyone could go nuts.

Then the ball went through his legs. Knight comes around and the Mets win!!!!!

Silence. The champagne put back. Crying in some corners of the bar. Just awful. I think at that moment millions decided the Curse was real and there was no way the Sox would win game 7. Sox Nation watched game 7, but they already knew the outcome. It took 18 more years and another heartbreaking game 7 loss to Aaron Boone before finally getting redemption.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 01:02:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

If we're going with non-championships, then Aaron Boone's has to top the list, right? Game 7, tie game, bottom of the 11th, then BOOM, series over.

Of course it would all be made up the next year (and the next 14), but we were 17 years away from 1986 and still hadn't won it.

The saving grace was that the Marlins of all teams went on to beat the f'ing Yankees in the WS.
I put Boone's and Dent's HRs together and lower on the heartbreak scale to Buckner's error. But not by much.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am one of the oddballs who is a huge Celtics fan, but not a Pats / hockey fan.

2010 Celtics by far to me.  It still makes me mad to this day.

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 01:23:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This isn't even close! Patriots had a chance at history with an undefeated season and lost to a team the would have beat 9 out of 10 times! I didn't watch, read, listen to any sports for 2 months after that game. Just writing this is p---ing me off!

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The 2007 Pats, NO doubt. 19-0 down the drain. Greatest accomplishment of all-time, probably by any team in a major sport, down the drain. That one hurt the most.
I could see this being a Celtics forum that 2010 was brutal but if you go anywhere else it'd be the Pats hands down.
Second choice would be the 3 run lead the Sox blew in '86.

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
This isn't even close! Patriots had a chance at history with an undefeated season and lost to a team the would have beat 9 out of 10 times! I didn't watch, read, listen to any sports for 2 months after that game. Just writing this is p---ing me off!

Like I said, I had always agreed with this, but the 3 additional SBs with Brady easily becoming the GOAT (and this level of success likely never repeated again) is enough history for me . One season is one season - and it had already kind of been done before. It's not the Dolphins fault they only had 14 regular season games in '72. Besides, they were only ever 17-0, we made it to 18-0.

I feel like there should be two polls here. One for how you felt in the moment and one for how you currently feel. In the moment, '07 Pats and '86 WS were absolutely devastating. I am still not over the 2010 Cs and have that as #1 on my list currently, but that could perhaps change if they won the next three in a row vs the Lakers.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

That Pats team would not have beaten the Giants 9 out of 10 times. The Pats only beat the Giants 38-35 to finish the regular season undefeated and that was a home game. On a nuetral site, the Pats lost to those same Giants. Some teams just have your number, no matter how good you think you are. That Giants team was far too physical, as the Patiots were more of a finesse team that season.