Author Topic: Cavaliers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 1 5/7/24  (Read 13406 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • On To Banner 18!
Its been awhile since I made a game thread. Good to be back.

This team is the first Celtics team giving me 1980’s flashbacks.  I believe this year is ours.

Howdy!

Hi stranger!

Careful. Stranger danger  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
I hope it’s just rust. And I hope they knock it off

Probably a combination of things.

Firstly there is probably some rust from not playing for close to a week.  Secondly game 1 is always a bit of a "feel out your opponent" game - where you are both still trying to gauge how your opponent is going to play you.  Both teams are probably going to be sub-optimal at this point because there is only so much you can prepare beforehand.  This probably explains why the Celtics have a fairly high turnover count early, which is not typical of how the Celtics have usually played this year. 

When it's half time and the team has 9 turnovers, and (outside of White and Brown) is shooting terribly, and you are still up double figures - it's a pretty good position to be in.

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1519
We aren't even playing well yet.

We haven't really turned on our full def yet.   We are still watching guys dribble down the lane for layups.
I don't know what we are waiting for though?

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Would really like the Celtics to pick up the energy on both ends. Dont think Cleveland can survive that

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
Jrue and DW - I think 4-4 from three in the 3rd

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
I was in Miami last Monday and couldnt make game but we walked by a few bars and it was awfully silent in Miami!!

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

*sippin*

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Celtics not even playing well
Put it away in the 4th

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1654
Would really like the Celtics to pick up the energy on both ends. Dont think Cleveland can survive that

they cant

we could destroy cavs if we want

we are toying with them

time to get serious
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
The Celtics aren’t winning no title with this pathetic version of Tatum. I think this is just who he is he’ll give you an amazing game and drop a 40 50 piece but he’ll follow it up with stinkers. He’ll also go a bunch of stretches where he just looks awful.

This game shouldn’t be 10 should be up way more

To be fair, he's actually been pretty consistent in the playoffs so far.  Almost every night he's had somewhere in the realm of 20-25 points, 9-11 rebounds and 4-7 assists and between 25%-30% from three (eek). 

He hasn't really had any monster games thus far, but hasn't had any real extreme stinkers either. 

I think he's recognised that if they are going to win they need to do it as a team, not with him taking 40 ISO shots.  He's still taking some bad ISO shots but at least he's not doing it 15 times a night.  He is taking way too many threes though. 

I've noticed with Tatum there's a visiable inconsistency with his jumper.  When he rises and releases the shot in one fluid motion he makes it pretty much every time.  When he goes up in what feels like a "two stage" jumper (i.e. visible delay between elevation and release) he misses almost always.

I don't think JT has been bad, just solid as in the bolded above.  He just took a couple quick 3s and had one dumb ISO it all possession play where he got mad he didn't score and then had a dumb foul.  He got a lot of boards, moved the ball well for part of the game, he is working well as the decoy to get JB going.

I mean, that's the thing, though - we haven't needed him to be scoring big. He's doing all of the other things really well - defense, rebounding, playmaking for others, etc. When he does start looking more for his own shot is when he's not done as well and stalled the offense.

The coaches need to sit him down and just straight up tell him that if they're going to continue to guard us like this, then he doesn't need to worry as much about his own scoring. We have so much offensive talent and shooting on this team - even without KP - that we can burn teams when they sell out their defense to limit Tatum. And, in fact, continuing to exploit that defense over and over will be the quickest way for them to adjust and give Tatum more room to operate offensively, eventually.

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2043
Okoro is supposed to be a good defender?  He's straight getting abused by Brown this game.

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • On To Banner 18!
Game 7, NBA Finals, very last shot in a tied game.

Am I crazy to say I'd let White take it instead of Tatum lol?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
How i wish JT could just attack Struss’ defense and not go for the fade away. If he goes straight up and stretches his arm for the finger roll I’m almost sure  he’ll get fouled.

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
JB superstar B being an A tonight

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1415
Just tuning in what’s happening? We good or is it wrist slitting time. Tstum appears to be the piñata tonight?

And who are these clowns commentating, I’m used to Mike and Scal no clue who these guys are
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D