Author Topic: Marcus Smart speaks out on officiating, heated exchange with Brad Stevens  (Read 8195 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/celtics-marcus-smart-speaks-out-on-officiating-heated-exchange-with-brad-stevens/13bq0va9125n11t53wq5i9wvgs

Marcus stepping out of bounds on this one. Why let the media know about this? Does he think he knows better than the coach?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:41:31 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/celtics-marcus-smart-speaks-out-on-officiating-heated-exchange-with-brad-stevens/13bq0va9125n11t53wq5i9wvgs

Marcus stepping out of bounds on this one. Why let the media know about this? Does he thinks he knows better than the coach?

Eh, much ado about nothing.   Stevens even admits it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Marcus being Marcus.

Brad didn't seem to thrilled about it after the game, saying he and Smart have gone about things like this before. But, Marcus did apologize to Stevens during the game and then went back in to play, so Stevens didn't hold any grudges.

Smart goes too far at times and definitely did here. He needs to do better.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I was the one that called for Marcus to get an early shower in the game thread based on showing up his coach. I am also one of the voices that thinks Brad does not protect his players enough, and It is clear Smart alluded to this as part of his frustration. Come on Brad, you got to nad up to win a championship. Working the refs is part of coaching.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he is passionate type,  and we all have argued with our bosses at some time over something we believed in.

bosses get criticized too and are better themselves for learning something new and how they may have been wrong

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean ehhhhhh, I think Stevens knows that a guy who plays with the fire Smart does occasionally oversteps And Smart did apologize.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Marcus is a JAG who's been elevated to cult status in Boston primarily by the media and fans.

I do partially blame Brad for allowing the pecking order on the team to become so muddied by playing Smart bigger minutes then other more deserving players like Jaylen Brown.

Nevertheless, Smart's lack of leadership rears it's head a couple of times a season, and has since he was in college.  I can't imagine Danny Green, Patrick Beverley or Andre Igoudala ever getting away with these types of slippups but Danny has been sending a pretty clear message that Smart can do whatever he wants since he got here.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I was the one that called for Marcus to get an early shower in the game thread based on showing up his coach. I am also one of the voices that thinks Brad does not protect his players enough, and It is clear Smart alluded to this as part of his frustration. Come on Brad, you got to nad up to win a championship. Working the refs is part of coaching.

I've been calling for years for Brad to get Td up in some of these poorly called games and maybe even get tossed a la POP.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Did Stevens shorten his last name?

Anyway, though normally I hate when players show up a coach, I kinda give Smart a pass.

Only reason why is because his hustle on defense is unlike any other player, which means effort (something that alot of the NBA lacks.)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I've been calling for years for Brad to get Td up in some of these poorly called games and maybe even get tossed a la POP.

Might not be a bad idea. I'm not one to get fired up over bad officiating but I think it's just plain silly and childish. No one can control what the refs call. HOWEVER, I do also think if the coach starts becoming very animated about the calls on the floor, the officials might start backing off the player (at least just a little bit.)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's definitely contrary to the common law of coaching where you ride the refs the entire game to get calls for your players. Doc and Pop are probably the two greatest examples of this. CBS is the least this of all coaches.

CBS has mentioned that the NBA has channels to go through with questionable calls. I think a coaching staff can submit those plays postgame to the reffing board. I think he goes through those channels. He also challenges when appropriate.

I just think CBS wants to do things the right way, like a grown-up. He views it like its his job to coach his players. It's the player's job to play. It's the refs' job to ref.

I respect that about him. I think that it trains players to be mature players and to respond to adversity with a level head, focusing on the next play.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
It's definitely contrary to the common law of coaching where you ride the refs the entire game to get calls for your players. Doc and Pop are probably the two greatest examples of this. CBS is the least this of all coaches.

CBS has mentioned that the NBA has channels to go through with questionable calls. I think a coaching staff can submit those plays postgame to the reffing board. I think he goes through those channels. He also challenges when appropriate.

I just think CBS wants to do things the right way, like a grown-up. He views it like its his job to coach his players. It's the player's job to play. It's the refs' job to ref.

I respect that about him. I think that it trains players to be mature players and to respond to adversity with a level head, focusing on the next play.

In fairness to Marcus though, in the heat of the moment, I'd probably react in a similar way.

You think the refs blow the whistle on Lebron, Harden and Durant they same way they do on Smart?

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

In fairness to Marcus though, in the heat of the moment, I'd probably react in a similar way.

You think the refs blow the whistle on Lebron, Harden and Durant they same way they do on Smart?

I'm not calling into question Marcus. I'm just talking about CBS.

I actually think Smart's erratic nature is a good yin-yang contrast with CBS cool, consistent demeanor. I think you need both.

I also don't think Smart gets fouled as much as he thinks he does. He guards players exactly like he is guarded, with the same amount of contact. I was watching the game on mute last night and didn't think the reffing on Smart was unfair.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Is there any non-anecdotal evidence that "working the refs" has a net positive impact for your team? For all we know it has a negative impact.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I'm not calling into question Marcus. I'm just talking about CBS.

I actually think Smart's erratic nature is a good yin-yang contrast with CBS cool, consistent demeanor. I think you need both.

I also don't think Smart gets fouled as much as he thinks he does. He guards players exactly like he is guarded, with the same amount of contact. I was watching the game on mute last night and didn't think the reffing on Smart was unfair.

I think it's unfair in the sense that Smart often guards very good offensive players and superstars and they get calls that he doesn't get. It's not some bias against Smart specifically. It's just that Smart actually invests in defense and isn't an offensive superstar. That is probably skewing his perception.