Author Topic: Marcus Smart speaks out on officiating, heated exchange with Brad Stevens  (Read 8285 times)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
And if I was the coach I would start clapping back at him to stop clanking his 3s or he can be shipped out lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
in 5 th grade ,  bad behavior usually resulted with me visiting the principles office .  ending with a verbal dressing down or worse... :D

For Marcus ....that would be a visit to the GM's office.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:40:35 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Doesn't bother me as long as they can move on afterward. Smarty seems to be one of those guys that plays with his heart on his sleeve good or bad. We've all seen him yell at Jaylen in the heat of the moment last year but he's coming from a good place. I guess he felt that Brad wasn't sticking up for him with the fouls and got frustrated.

We all have those volatile friends who get heated up and sometimes say things they shouldn't but then they cool down and apologize and don't hold grudges, it's all good as long as they can move on and as long as they know that ultimately Brad's the coach and has the final decision on everything. And as long as he knows there's a line that you can't cross. You might tip your toe across it now and then but you can't cross it. If you cross it then you have to bear the consequences.

Probably Smarty was feeling like a lot of posters on the game threads feel when they want Brad to yell at the officials and Brad just sits there with his poker face  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Over the top from Smart but at least he apologized....

He is our Modern Day KG - Fire and Desire.

Gotta take it or leave it with Marcus....at least he doesn't talk to himself on the court, punch himself in the head, head butt the basketball stanchions prior to the games or talk about Honey Nut cheerios lol....................

KG was in a class all his own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbOLuUxDOw

Smart is definitely cut from KG and I LOVE him. He can be a mixed bag of cats at times but we already have an ADVANTAGE with him when we step on the court and the score is 0 - 0....opponents really don't know what to expect with him.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Did anyone catch the moment during last nights game when Marcus came out, looked at Jay Larranaga starts barking at him and then claps in his face aggressively (like he does to the refs).
It prompted Jay to follow marcus to his seat, almost stomping.. you had to be focusing on the bench during game play when it happened, no clue how my eye caught it.

Very strange encounter to say the least.

This was actually at CBS, this is why he apologized. Jay just went over to smooth it out.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Gotta take it or leave it with Marcus....at least he doesn't talk to himself on the court, punch himself in the head, head butt the basketball stanchions prior to the games or talk about Honey Nut cheerios lol....................

Smart is definitely cut from KG and I LOVE him. He can be a mixed bag of cats at times but we already have an ADVANTAGE with him when we step on the court and the score is 0 - 0....opponents really don't know what to expect with him.

I know what you’re implying with the fire but I always cringe with the comparison due to KG always being ready. Smart got fat yet again. Smart has won me over. I hope we can keep him along with our 4 best. I DO think Stevens lacks cracking down on his own players’ egos. I’d agree last year he didn’t protect his players from each other.
   I’m not a big Brad guy but I want this to work and everybody deserves credit for the effort they’ve put out through 6 games in my opinion. But this DID give me worry. The aggressiveness to Larranga is unfortunate and warrants a simple quick public apology and I didn’t hear his apology so I don’t know what he said but calling out your coach in the press is a coward’s move. Brad rolled with it and put him back in the game and Smart says THIS?
  I don’t worry about a guy having a temper flare and saying something regretful. I worry about other players seeing this and losing a bit of respect for Brad. If Smart goes at another teammate will Brad step in at all? Say anything? Or will he avoid trying to p--- off Marcus because he can be prone to something like this a few times a year? This is the 1st and only thing I’ve had concern about the Celts. Playing great!

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I miss KG headbutting the stanchions.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Freedom of speech comes at a cost in the NBA

Marcus earned himself a nice shiney 15K fine .

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I do wish Brad would fight harder vs the refs when team unfriendly calls are made.  It has an impact on how a game gets called.

That said, I don't think the calls last night were bad at all. Marcus' 5th personal was clearly an offensive foul to me.  He was probably more upset about the 4th foul call.
to paraphrase an earlier post, would you please demonstrate this with evidence? thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I'm as concerned about this as much as Bead and Danny choose to be.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Celtics should fine Smart as well. Can't have him showing disrespect to the coach like that, I don't care the circumstances.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I do wish Brad would fight harder vs the refs when team unfriendly calls are made.  It has an impact on how a game gets called.

That said, I don't think the calls last night were bad at all. Marcus' 5th personal was clearly an offensive foul to me.  He was probably more upset about the 4th foul call.
to paraphrase an earlier post, would you please demonstrate this with evidence? thank you.

A lot of people keep saying this in the game threads and I haven't seen evidence of it either. If anything I feel like the refs double down when they get called out during the game, or worse they look for ways to T players up for dissent. I feel like ref calls are just one of those things you need to roll with and overcome, it's been like that since playing JV and earlier.

That said, that seems to be one of the main criticisms of Brad, that he's too mild mannered and doesn't lose it on the sideline and provide histrionics like guys like Stan Van Gundy or Steve Kerr. How many times have we heard "why can't Brad be less of a softcock and yell at the refs once in a while show some passion" etc. I guess that's what Smarty felt like at that point. He wanted someone to yell and scream and jump up and down. I just don't think it's in Brad's character to do that, he's like a Terminator in how cold-blooded he is.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It's definitely contrary to the common law of coaching where you ride the refs the entire game to get calls for your players. Doc and Pop are probably the two greatest examples of this. CBS is the least this of all coaches.

CBS has mentioned that the NBA has channels to go through with questionable calls. I think a coaching staff can submit those plays postgame to the reffing board. I think he goes through those channels. He also challenges when appropriate.

I just think CBS wants to do things the right way, like a grown-up. He views it like its his job to coach his players. It's the player's job to play. It's the refs' job to ref.

I respect that about him. I think that it trains players to be mature players and to respond to adversity with a level head, focusing on the next play.

This is a very good post. I find it humorous people are taking this opportunity of Marcus being a total jerk to point out how 'wussy' Brad is. We are lucky Brad isn't an emotional basket case. Not everything he tries to do necessarily works out, but I feel very comfortable knowing that there is thought and rationale behind his decisions.

As for Marcus, he probably just needed to sit the rest of the way. The game was already in hand, he had 5 fouls, and what he did wasn't cool. He knows he can act this way because it's Brad, but if this were a tougher coaching staff, we might be talking about a one game suspension. I love Smart's fire, but it's a bit strange that he gets special treatment. This isn't Tom Brady we're talking about.

can we settle for something between 'wussy' and 'emotional basket case?

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Your last paragraph describes Rodman more than KG.