Author Topic: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic  (Read 41732 times)

Re: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think the reality here is that the Celtics, with the young players, expirings and picks, are always a "dark horse" to a trade, so teams (and possibly agents) trot out the Celtics name to get other teams to move more quickly and to offer more.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, I've seen zero reliable information that he's unwilling to adapt to anything, so your guess is as good as mine.

USA Today reported Tuesday night that Dragic's agent, Bill Duffy, informed the Suns that his client intends to sign elsewhere as a free agent this offseason, no longer willing to share a backcourt with Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas.

All of the venom you like to throw at other "pure PGs" is based on reports and rumors. Why is it that the same reports get dismissed regarding other players when it doesn't fit your opinion?

Consider the fact that as recently as Sept during the World Cup, Dragic said he'd resign in Phoenix. The sign IT and resigned Bledsoe. Dragic's usage rate drops. Now he wants out... Yeah, sounds like a really committed guy.
I'm not sure this is really about Dragic's USR (it hasn't dropped all THAT much). I suspect he actually wants to end up on a team that would throw the bank at him come end of season, and not on a team that just committed $100 million to two other guards.

And the venom on "other PGs" is based on what I saw -- and I saw a lot of passing the ball over and standing in the corner. I also saw a lot more engagement on other teams. So yeah...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2015, 12:57:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think the reality here is that the Celtics, with the young players, expirings and picks, are always a "dark horse" to a trade, so teams (and possibly agents) trot out the Celtics name to get other teams to move more quickly and to offer more.

I think so in general, but in this particular case I think there's legitimate interest.  As I already described, Dragic's cap hold essentially increases the cap space the Celtics would have relative to signing him in free agency.  The C's are short on primary ball handlers and shot creators, so he fills a team need.  The team has been playing better of late (7-5 over last 12), so making that first big acquisition towards becoming more competitive in the short-term isn't irrational.

If the price is right, I could totally see Ainge doing this.  If the price isn't, that's obviously different.  The likelihood of any given trade being made is always pretty low, but this one makes a decent amount of sense when you consider Ainge's plan.

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Gorac would stay if DA convinces him this team will be built for a championship.. Sort of like when KG rejected the idea of being traded to Boston until Ray came along..

If he were somehow able to pull Cousins away from from Sac this team could most def compete in the East.. Even if not he will still trample on the first team shipping out their star in order to rebuild..

Another reason he would sign is Boston is a big market team.. He preferred NY, LA, and Miami but I wouldnt doubt Bos is in the 2nd tier..

It could be a bidding war so offer the LAC 1st a few seconds and Bass if they are still looking for front court help plus a filler with expiring contract.. In the end if the Celtics lose him they lose the 24th pick.. How often does a 20-something pick turn into a star???

Exactly where I am coming from.

The whole point here with acquiring Dragic is not so much to help us compete for the 8th seed this year (though that would be nice.) The point is to acquire him with the chance to keep him here long term BEYOND this season.

You trade for him now, try to sell him on the city, the coach, FO, etc. Then, if you obtain his bird rights upon trading for him, you can offer him more than any other team this summer. Then, if you keep Dragic long-term, maybe you can sell another free agent (Gasol, Millsap, Jordan, etc) on coming to Boston.

It's more so about assembling a championship contending team for 2015-16 and beyond.

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would give up two late first rounders if we got some kind of assurance he was interested in resigning here. If he said he would commit 100 percent, I would give up a potential lottery pick for him.

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Lets not forget the return we got for Rondo. Mind u he never had his said he was leaving. With that said, a late 1st and either an expiring (Thornton, Prince, or Bass) or Bradley should get it done. We also have the TPE, although is rather keep it for someone else

A key factor is that Dragic is cheaper, which means more teams can match his salary.  The more potential buyers, the greater the price.  It only takes $5 million in outgoing salary to trade for Dragic if you're below the tax, and $5.9 million if you're above it.  Compare this to the $8.6 million and $10.2 million, respectively, it took in matching salaries to acquire Rondo.  Furthermore, Dragic's cap hold next season is less than the salary he will be seeking (and likely get).  So if you trade for him now, and you're a team that would have been able to sign him with cap room, you've created cap space.  Specifically, Dragic will probably get $18 million next year (don't laugh.  He will).  His cap hold is only $11.25 million, however.  So if the Celtics were to sign Dragic as a free agent, they'd need $18 million in space.  However, if they trade for Dragic, and agree to re-sign him, they can count him as $11.25 million against the cap while they use up the remainder, and then sign him to his deal with Bird rights, essentially creating about $7 million in cap space.  On the other side, Rondo took up the entire max salary with his hold.  Finances have a huge impact on trades, and accordingly, I would expect Dragic to be more valuable on the trade market.

I agree with everything you said. Essentially we'd be flipping Rondo for a more marketable PG who would be a significantly better trade asset in the future. Get him now, resign him, and if it doesn't work out we can trade trade him at some point down the line.

What will it take to get Dragic tho? I want any deal to involve AB

In what way is Dragic more marketable than Rondo?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In what way is Dragic more marketable than Rondo?
Can score, is healthy, was arguably the best player on a 48-win team last season. I suspect by "marketable" he means to GMs, not to fans.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  4m 4 minutes ago
Yahoo Sources: Suns much more focused on discussing Dragic deals w/ Celtics, Rockets, Kings, among others, than any teams on guard's list.

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I don't know about giving up a bunch of assets for him when he can just walk. He's not that type of a talent to me that's worth it. Now if it's along the lines of Rondos trade then I'm ok with it.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
still holding out hope for Boogie to the C's, especially after reading this headline--
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/236675/Goran-Dragic-Wanted-Bad-By-Kings

It sure does seem like the C's are trying to route the Kings the pg of their choosing...

« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
still holding out hope for Boogie to the C's, especially after reading this headline--

It sure does seem like the C's are trying to route the Kings the pg of their choosing...
Very interesting.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I want to believe that, but it seems far more likely they are gunning to have Cousins AND Dragic, and would give up some other assets to make it happen.

« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  4m 4 minutes ago
Yahoo Sources: Suns much more focused on discussing Dragic deals w/ Celtics, Rockets, Kings, among others, than any teams on guard's list.

I figured. All of those teams have better potential offers than the places Dragic wants to go. Lakers can't get a deal done unless they make that pick they owe Phoenix unprotected (Not going to happen). Knicks hardly have anything and I firmly believe they'll lean towards free agency to get Dragic instead of trading assets for him. Unless the Heat put the name "Hassan Whiteside" in the discussion, Phoenix won't give them the time of day.

It's not like the Rockets, Kings, or Celtics have perfect offers, but if they do a deal, Phoenix will atleast get something.

« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
So i keep reading the MIA,NYK, and the Lakers are the only teams known to be on Dragics' list. Does anyone know the other 4? Is Boston on that list? I'm going back and fourth between here and realgm and just read someone posting that in a SI article is puts us on his list? If so thats rather interesting.

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
My personal opinion: Danny is agreeing to let the Suns leak the C's as a Dragic contender in order to help his buddy McD drive up Dragic's price.

Then at some point in the future, when Danny needs a third team or second rounder to make a deal happen, he knows who he can call.