Author Topic: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic  (Read 41728 times)

Re: Celtics emerging as contender for dragic
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
My personal opinion: Danny is agreeing to let the Suns leak the C's as a Dragic contender in order to help his buddy McD drive up Dragic's price.

Then at some point in the future, when Danny needs a third team or second rounder to make a deal happen, he knows who he can call.

I thought this as well. I really hope not.

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hah I love this time of year.  Who is playing who?  Are the Suns leaking info to get the Rockets to increase their offer?  Are the Celtics leaking info to get Denver to balk on Ty Lawson?  Is Boston sending out smoke-screens while they actually target a big?  Is all of this just a bunch of nonsense created by the media to generate article clicks? 

I still say most likely scenario here is Boston getting nothing done and buying out some vets.  We already made our moves.  If we can get Dragic for less than we got for Rondo, it's a gamble worth taking.  Dragic is better than Rondo and probably would be easier to re-sign than Rondo would have been.

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA  ·  4m 4 minutes ago
Yahoo Sources: Suns much more focused on discussing Dragic deals w/ Celtics, Rockets, Kings, among others, than any teams on guard's list.

If this is true, then I think we pretty much have Dragic. In addition to the Ainge/McD connection and the fact that they'd rather send Dragic East than keep him in the West, we have 3x the amount of TRADABLE assets as Kings and Rockets.

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
I think a good player in the west should be a great player for us here in the east, so I hope we do get him.

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If the Suns get anything good for Dragic I'm gonna puke because it's the exact same situation as Rondo only Rondo is historically a lot better. We should offer them virtually nothing, just like they offered us. He has specifically stated he wants to be in other places. Offer 2nd rounders and a trade exception or something

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If the Suns get anything good for Dragic I'm gonna puke because it's the exact same situation as Rondo only Rondo is historically a lot better. We should offer them virtually nothing, just like they offered us. He has specifically stated he wants to be in other places. Offer 2nd rounders and a trade exception or something

Over the last two seasons Dragic has been a much better player than Rondo, not close really...

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Don't know what this has to do with Rondo. He is history. Move on.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2015, 02:31:46 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Over the last two seasons Dragic has been a much better player than Rondo, not close really...

Without a doubt

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He was hurt during one of them.

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Without a doubt
I must've missed the part where Dragic was getting all these rebs and assists and leading his team deep in the playoffs or something.

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Without a doubt
I must've missed the part where Dragic was getting all these rebs and assists and leading his team deep in the playoffs or something.

And when exactly has that happened recently? Not talking ancient history here. Today, Dragic is a clear upgrade. Not even close.

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Please find my post from earlier in the thread about the difference in finances and realize that it's not the exact same situation as Rondo.  Dragic's smaller contract is easier to trade for, as wel as provides cap advantages next year if the team trading for him signs him to a new deal.  Not to mention there's always the chance he doesn't opt out, in which case it's even better.

I was disappointed with the return on Rondo, but I do believe Dragic should fetch at least a similar return.

« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:09 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
At the very least, I'd like to see the Celtics involved here as a facilitator...I know some are tired of that angle, but it makes so much sense here.

Dragic wants to go to NY, LA or Miami according to reports. I'm not sure those teams have what Phoenix wants...This could be all an angle by McDonough and Ainge to get the Celtics at the table as part of a bigger deal.

Here's the ultimate question: Would you deal the Clippers 1st round pick, if it meant ridding yourself of the Wallace contract and helping another Eastern Conference team acquire Dragic? If I'm the Celtics and could throw in the Clips pick to alleviate the strain of Wallace's contract, it's worth doing.

There is no way I give up any type of first or second rounder to rid ourselves of Wallace's contract. Better to leave him where he is and teach the kids about work ethic and effort. Save him for trade deadline next year or just let him come off the books after next season

So, keeping a 1st round pick that will likely be in the 18-23 range and Wallace as a mentor "to teach the kids" is worth more to you than the possibility of signing two max guys this summer? Interesting. Guess we'll agree to disagree, especially knowing the C's have 1,000 other 1st round picks in the next 3-4 years.

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Without a doubt

And when exactly has that happened recently? Not talking ancient history here. Today, Dragic is a clear upgrade. Not even close.

Exactly. Andrew Bynum was really good back then too.

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2015, 02:54:39 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
At the very least, I'd like to see the Celtics involved here as a facilitator...I know some are tired of that angle, but it makes so much sense here.

Dragic wants to go to NY, LA or Miami according to reports. I'm not sure those teams have what Phoenix wants...This could be all an angle by McDonough and Ainge to get the Celtics at the table as part of a bigger deal.

Here's the ultimate question: Would you deal the Clippers 1st round pick, if it meant ridding yourself of the Wallace contract and helping another Eastern Conference team acquire Dragic? If I'm the Celtics and could throw in the Clips pick to alleviate the strain of Wallace's contract, it's worth doing.

There is no way I give up any type of first or second rounder to rid ourselves of Wallace's contract. Better to leave him where he is and teach the kids about work ethic and effort. Save him for trade deadline next year or just let him come off the books after next season

So, keeping a 1st round pick that will likely be in the 18-23 range and Wallace as a mentor "to teach the kids" is worth more to you than the possibility of signing two max guys this summer? Interesting. Guess we'll agree to disagree, especially knowing the C's have 1,000 other 1st round picks in the next 3-4 years.

Danny could always deal Wallace (with a late first/Philly second) in the offseason if we need the cap space to sign two max players, but why give up assets now for a (very slim) chance that we convince two max players to sign with us?  Better to use that pick to get someone like Dragic, draft someone, or trade up in the draft
I'm bitter.