Author Topic: Ravens @ Patriots: Game Day Thread  (Read 5452 times)

Ravens @ Patriots: Game Day Thread
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »

Offline hollywood14

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
Yes, I'm new here but I intend to make my mark on this forum when it comes to the Patriots.

Baltimore Ravens (0-0)  at  New England Patriots (0-0)
Time: 7:30 PM ET
Where: Foxboro, Massachusetts
When: Thursday; August 7th

Three Players to Watch: Patriots

[1]. Jerod Mayo ..:.. LB R

This will be the first chance that Patriots fans alike will see first round pick Jerod Mayo in action. Thus far in camp the reports stress that Mayo has looked very comfortable in coverage and has that demeanor to be very successful in this league. With Tedy Bruschi to most likely seem limited time, look for Mayo to have a large amount of reps against an otherwise solid running team. Remember, last pre-season undrafted linebacker Oscar Lua really looked impressive but eventually got injured. Lua, was something us fans haven't seen for a while, a younger backer that would be. Mayo must play smart and just be in his place and show that he cover well, which will be imperative when the Patriots face the San Diego Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Indianapolis Colts later in the season and in the playoffs.

[2]. Chad Jackson ..:.. WR

Sure Jackson has looked great in camp, sure he got stronger, sure his routes have improved. Blah. The list goes on, but this is the time all Jackson fans have been waiting for. The pre-season is very key for Jackson and his development. With Wes Welker sidelined and Randy Moss expected to get minimal reps, Jackson will have the opportunity he has wanted ever since being drafted 36th overall in 2006. Hopefully for Jackson's sake he is on the same page with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel as in camp he has heard a mouthful from the Brady on certain routes. However, this is the game that I think Jackson will show the doubters that he can be successful and a top level receiver in this game. He should be going up against some solid cornerbacks in Chris McAlister, Corey Ivy, Fabian Washington, and Samari Rolle.

[3]. Fernando Bryant ..:.. CB

All offseason we have heard how our secondary is weak and how the loss of Asante Samuel and even Randall Gay will be extremely severe. Well, Belichick wasted little time in bringing in his annually injury prone, throw away free agents. One of those players is cornerback Fernando Bryant. Bryant, started every game for the Lions last season, whether or not that is a good, I don't know. However, Bryant has looked sharp in camp and keep in mind that the less we hear from him the better. Hell, on one instance he stayed stride with stride against Randy Moss. Bryant, will start at one CB while rookie Terrence Wheatley the other. Thankfully for Bryant he doesn't have to deal with any real receiver threat as he should be able to contain Derrick Mason, as Mason is more a possession receiver which only benefits Bryant. If Bryant struggles just feel reassured that Ellis Hobbs will be there in the regular season.

Three Players to Watch: Ravens

[1]. Ray Rice ..:.. RB R

Ray Rice has been reportedly already sealed the second running back spot and there is even that he could potentially take some carries away from Willie McGahee. While that is a stretch in my opinion, Rice does provide the Ravens with versatility as he can run the ball and catch is as well. In this contest, don't expect to see a lot of McGahee which will be a good thing for the Patriots defense as they will get the job to stop a running back who's style the Patriots have been unsuccessful with in the past. If Rice can continue to improve his blocking look for him to one day be a big contributor as a starting running back in this league.

[2]. Marcus Smith ..:.. WR R

The New Mexico State product has looked very impressive in camp, displaying his very big hands and deceptive speed. Smith posses great size standing at 6-2 and around 215; His size allows him to use his body very well and under control in jump ball situations. Smith could give the smaller Patriots cornerbacks fits however, the Patriots shouldn't have a hard time in trying to keep up with him when it comes to Smith coming in and out of cuts. The Ravens have lacked a big time playmaker at the receiver position for a very long time, and while Derrick Mason and Marc Clayton are solid options, neither will give Troy Smith and soon to be Joe Flacco the big time target they will need to be a efficient passer in this league.

[3]. Troy Smith ..:.. QB

Surprisingly enough, Troy Smith has looked like the best quarterback in Ravens training camp thus far. While in the long run this team belongs to Flacco, Smith brings terrific competition to the position and a potential reliable backup. Although undersized Smith has had great success in he collegian career at Ohio State and has looked at some instances in 2007. The good thing for Smith is that, unlike Kyle Boller, he relishes the opportunity to start, as I believe he honestly thinks he could start for this team for years to come. Whatever the case may be Smith will start against the Patriots and he will certainly be a player to keep tabs on.

Keys to Success: Patriots

[1]. Establish Running Game Early

The Patriots must show that they will become more then one dimensional this season and in doing so it will be imperative for them to establish the running game early in this game versus the Ravens. This will be the first game of the season that the fans and coaching staff for the matter will see all four running backs; Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, and LaMont Jordan on the field at the same time. Look for offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to utilize all of the backs strengths will only open up the passing game later on when Matt Cassel and Matt Gutierrez relieve Tom Brady.

[2]. Force Baltimore To Pass

While Ravens starting running back Willis McGahee won't see a ton of reps on Thursday they still have a viable backup in rookie Ray Rice. If the Patriots struggle stopping both of these guys it could be a long day defensively. For the Patriots they must force Troy Smith to throw the ball early and often as the Patriots cornerbacks matchup well against Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, DeVard Darling, and Demetrius Williams. This will be a good game for rookie LB Jerod Mayo to show off his speed and playmaking ability.

[3]. Ball Control

This key turns back into the first one listed. The longer the Patriots have the ball, the better. It keeps the defense fresh and leaves the chance to show off more of a balanced offense. For the Patriots this season the offense will also play defense and at points last season this offense scored too quickly leaving the defense to play a ton of consecutive reps. Case in point would be the Super Bowl on the Randy Moss touchdown.

Key to Success: Ravens

[1]. Pressure Tom Brady, Off The Edge

Both Matt Light and Nick Kazcur have missed their fair share of practices over the summer so look for them to see very limited reps in this one. With that the Patriots will have to turn to 2006 fifth round pick Ryan O'Callaghan and Wesley Britt to fill the void, however both O'Callaghan and Britt have very slow feet and could have trouble against the speed rushers of the Ravens in Terrell Suggs and Tavares Gooden. Late last season, starting against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Patriots seemed to struggle against teams that made it their number one priority to apply pressure to Brady. However, the Patriots perservered and continued to win those close game. The Super Bowl was the one exception, as the New York Giants rushed Brady at will. With that said look for teams to follow the same forumula and the Patriots could be in some serious trouble with their two starting tackles not playing to an effective extent.

[2]. Run, Run, and Run

The Ravens realize that their passing attack isn't exactly something to brag about, but, their running attack could potentially be tops in the league before times end. Willie McGahee is still a top 15 back in the NFL and rookie Ray Rice just so happens to compliment him very well. Although undersized Rice is the player that could poise the most problems for the Patriots linebackers, preferably Tedy Bruschi and Victor Hobson. The more teams like Baltimore can establish the run the more success they will have passing the ball against an otherwise pores secondary so don't be surprised to see teams run, run, and run even if the yards come sparingly. Baltimore will look to attack converted safety Tank Williams who is new to the position and would be assumed, struggles shedding a block. Although Williams is very fast for his 6-3 230 frame, he is still raw at the position and will be a liability early on in the preseason and regular season. Along with Williams, look for the Ravens to attack Tedy Bruschi, who has lost a few steps from a season ago. Bruschi is a legend and he will be a Patriots hall of fame, but he looks very, very slow in training camp and look for him to steadily decline throughout the season.

[3]. Don't Back Down

Arrow Yes, it's preseason. I understand that. However, the Patriots are a very intimidating team so it'll be imperative for the Ravens to walk into Gillette Stadium with their chests pumped out and show them they can compete with them. If you can remember back to last season, the Ravens had all intentions on ending the Patriots perfect regular season, however after a few controversal calls against them, and a touchdown reception by Jabar Gaffney, they came up short. Look for Ray Lewis and other veterans to keep that in their minds and come out and try and take a win against the Pats in their house. But, yes it's preseason.

Key Matchup Battle 08-05-08

Overview 08-06-08

Conclusion: Prediction 08-07-08
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:15:42 PM by hollywood14 »

Re: Ravens @ Patriots: Game Day Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Nice run down.  I can't get into preseason football for some reason (maybe its because the teams don;t show you much - especially the Pats)
Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 08:00:32 PM »

Offline hollywood14

• Jaden Springer
Nice run down.  I can't get into preseason football for some reason (maybe its because the teams don;t show you much - especially the Pats)
Thanks.

I'm the opposite. I love to watch the third to fourth string NFL hopefuls and see if they can be scrappy enough to find a roster with some team in the NFL.

For the Patriots, I'm looking forward to seeing; Kevin O'Connell [QB], Chad Jackson [WR], C.J Jones [WR], Jerod Mayo [LB], Gary Guyton [LB], Terrence Wheatley [CB], Jonathan Wilhite [CB], and Brandon Meriweather

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Thanks.

I'm the opposite. I love to watch the third to fourth string NFL hopefuls and see if they can be scrappy enough to find a roster with some team in the NFL.

For the Patriots, I'm looking forward to seeing; Kevin O'Connell [QB], Chad Jackson [WR], C.J Jones [WR], Jerod Mayo [LB], Gary Guyton [LB], Terrence Wheatley [CB], Jonathan Wilhite [CB], and Brandon Meriweather

I think I get overwhelmed with the hugeness of the rosters in the NFL and tend to focus on teams more than players.  I also have completely lost  touch with college football so the developmental part is lost on me.  I love Sundays come regular season and playoffs though.

Anyhow...Keep the previews coming!
Yup

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
This will be the first chance that Patriots fans alike will see first round pick Jerod Mayo in action. Thus far in camp the reports stress that Mayo has looked very comfortable in coverage and has that demeanor to be very successful in this league. With Tedy Bruschi to most likely seem limited time, look for Mayo to have a large amount of reps against an otherwise solid running team. Remember, last pre-season undrafted linebacker Oscar Lua really looked impressive but eventually got injured. Lua, was something us fans haven't seen for a while, a younger backer that would be. Mayo must play smart and just be in his place and show that he cover well, which will be imperative when the Patriots face the San Diego Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Indianapolis Colts later in the season and in the playoffs.

Good job with the review...

I am not sure I would compare Mayo to Lua, or even think they are at all in similar situations.  Lua was a 7th round pick who was injury prone in College and frankly a long shot to make the roster.  Mayo is being counted on and expected to be a difference maker.  I guess I know you were saying not to put a whole lot into a preseason game, but I am not sure he would be the person I would point to.

On another note, I am curious to see whether Brady even plays, and if he does, whether he plays much more then a series or two. He hasnt practiced that much this preseason, and even when he has, he hasnt taken many throws.  I would assume he will play 2-3 series, and games 2 and 3 will be where he actually plays.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »

Offline hollywood14

• Jaden Springer

I am not sure I would compare Mayo to Lua, or even think they are at all in similar situations.  Lua was a 7th round pick who was injury prone in College and frankly a long shot to make the roster.  Mayo is being counted on and expected to be a difference maker.  I guess I know you were saying not to put a whole lot into a preseason game, but I am not sure he would be the person I would point to.

On another note, I am curious to see whether Brady even plays, and if he does, whether he plays much more then a series or two. He hasnt practiced that much this preseason, and even when he has, he hasnt taken many throws.  I would assume he will play 2-3 series, and games 2 and 3 will be where he actually plays.
I wasn't comparing Mayo to Lua. I was simply implying that both were young, faster, LB's. Lua looked great in last seasons pre-season if you remember.

Brady has only missed about two to three practices, so I could see him playing the whole first quarter. However, to be completely honest, I'd be happy to seeing Matt Cassel, Matt Gutierrez, and Kevin O'Connell get some game time reps.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »

Offline hollywood14

• Jaden Springer
> Updated <

Be sure to check back later as I will post the key matchup.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I wasn't comparing Mayo to Lua. I was simply implying that both were young, faster, LB's. Lua looked great in last seasons pre-season if you remember.

Brady has only missed about two to three practices, so I could see him playing the whole first quarter. However, to be completely honest, I'd be happy to seeing Matt Cassel, Matt Gutierrez, and Kevin O'Connell get some game time reps.

From Mike Reiss today...hypothesizing what I had said...

1) This is the time for the backup quarterbacks. With Patriots coach Bill Belichick noting this morning that the Patriots were in transition – from a training-camp focus to a game-specific focus – it was notable that top signal-caller Tom Brady wasn’t on the field today. That left all the repetitions to Matt Cassel, followed by Matt Gutierrez, then rookie Kevin O’Connell. Based on this, it wouldn’t be surprising if Brady does not play Thursday night.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Twice I've been offered tix for face value for this game and twice I've declined.

The cost of an exhibition game (tickets, parking, food, beers, tailgate crap) where you might see the starters for a quarter at most (more likely much less) far outweighs the benefit of attending.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Twice I've been offered tix for face value for this game and twice I've declined.

The cost of an exhibition game (tickets, parking, food, beers, tailgate crap) where you might see the starters for a quarter at most (more likely much less) far outweighs the benefit of attending.

Yea, I just got offered tickets to the eagles preseason game.  face value 170 (they are supposed to be amazing, first row of the stadium, right behind the pats bench), they were offered to me for 100 each.  but factor in parking and food and all that and it becomes quite expensive to see a practice.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Yes, I'm new here but I intend to make my mark on this forum when it comes to the Patriots.

Baltimore Ravens (0-0)  at  New England Patriots (0-0)
Time: 7:30 PM ET
Where: Foxboro, Massachusetts
When: Thursday; August 7th

Three Players to Watch: Patriots

[1]. Jerod Mayo ..:.. LB R

[2]. Chad Jackson ..:.. WR

Sure Jackson has looked great in camp, sure he got stronger, sure his routes have improved. Blah. The list goes on, but this is the time all Jackson fans have been waiting for. The pre-season is very key for Jackson and his development. With Wes Welker sidelined and Randy Moss expected to get minimal reps, Jackson will have the opportunity he has wanted ever since being drafted 36th overall in 2006. Hopefully for Jackson's sake he is on the same page with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel as in camp he has heard a mouthful from the Brady on certain routes. However, this is the game that I think Jackson will show the doubters that he can be successful and a top level receiver in this game. He should be going up against some solid cornerbacks in Chris McAlister, Corey Ivy, Fabian Washington, and Samari Rolle.

[3]. Fernando Bryant ..:.. CB

All offseason we have heard how our secondary is weak and how the loss of Asante Samuel and even Randall Gay will be extremely severe. Well, Belichick wasted little time in bringing in his annually injury prone, throw away free agents. One of those players is cornerback Fernando Bryant. Bryant, started every game for the Lions last season, whether or not that is a good, I don't know. However, Bryant has looked sharp in camp and keep in mind that the less we hear from him the better. Hell, on one instance he stayed stride with stride against Randy Moss. Bryant, will start at one CB while rookie Terrence Wheatley the other. Thankfully for Bryant he doesn't have to deal with any real receiver threat as he should be able to contain Derrick Mason, as Mason is more a possession receiver which only benefits Bryant. If Bryant struggles just feel reassured that Ellis Hobbs will be there in the regular season.

Three Players to Watch: Ravens

[1]. Ray Rice ..:.. RB R

Ray Rice has been reportedly already sealed the second running back spot and there is even that he could potentially take some carries away from Willie McGahee. While that is a stretch in my opinion, Rice does provide the Ravens with versatility as he can run the ball and catch is as well. In this contest, don't expect to see a lot of McGahee which will be a good thing for the Patriots defense as they will get the job to stop a running back who's style the Patriots have been unsuccessful with in the past. If Rice can continue to improve his blocking look for him to one day be a big contributor as a starting running back in this league.

[2]. Marcus Smith ..:.. WR R

The New Mexico State product has looked very impressive in camp, displaying his very big hands and deceptive speed. Smith posses great size standing at 6-2 and around 215; His size allows him to use his body very well and under control in jump ball situations. Smith could give the smaller Patriots cornerbacks fits however, the Patriots shouldn't have a hard time in trying to keep up with him when it comes to Smith coming in and out of cuts. The Ravens have lacked a big time playmaker at the receiver position for a very long time, and while Derrick Mason and Marc Clayton are solid options, neither will give Troy Smith and soon to be Joe Flacco the big time target they will need to be a efficient passer in this league.

[3]. Troy Smith ..:.. QB

Surprisingly enough, Troy Smith has looked like the best quarterback in Ravens training camp thus far. While in the long run this team belongs to Flacco, Smith brings terrific competition to the position and a potential reliable backup. Although undersized Smith has had great success in he collegian career at Ohio State and has looked at some instances in 2007. The good thing for Smith is that, unlike Kyle Boller, he relishes the opportunity to start, as I believe he honestly thinks he could start for this team for years to come. Whatever the case may be Smith will start against the Patriots and he will certainly be a player to keep tabs on.

Keys to Success: Patriots

[1]. Establish Running Game Early

The Patriots must show that they will become more then one dimensional this season and in doing so it will be imperative for them to establish the running game early in this game versus the Ravens. This will be the first game of the season that the fans and coaching staff for the matter will see all four running backs; Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, and LaMont Jordan on the field at the same time. Look for offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to utilize all of the backs strengths will only open up the passing game later on when Matt Cassel and Matt Gutierrez relieve Tom Brady.

[2]. Force Baltimore To Pass

While Ravens starting running back Willis McGahee won't see a ton of reps on Thursday they still have a viable backup in rookie Ray Rice. If the Patriots struggle stopping both of these guys it could be a long day defensively. For the Patriots they must force Troy Smith to throw the ball early and often as the Patriots cornerbacks matchup well against Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, DeVard Darling, and Demetrius Williams. This will be a good game for rookie LB Jerod Mayo to show off his speed and playmaking ability.

[3]. Ball Control

This key turns back into the first one listed. The longer the Patriots have the ball, the better. It keeps the defense fresh and leaves the chance to show off more of a balanced offense. For the Patriots this season the offense will also play defense and at points last season this offense scored too quickly leaving the defense to play a ton of consecutive reps. Case in point would be the Super Bowl on the Randy Moss touchdown.

Key to Success: Ravens

[1]. Pressure Tom Brady, Off The Edge

Both Matt Light and Nick Kazcur have missed their fair share of practices over the summer so look for them to see very limited reps in this one. With that the Patriots will have to turn to 2006 fifth round pick Ryan O'Callaghan and Wesley Britt to fill the void, however both O'Callaghan and Britt have very slow feet and could have trouble against the speed rushers of the Ravens in Terrell Suggs and Tavares Gooden. Late last season, starting against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Patriots seemed to struggle against teams that made it their number one priority to apply pressure to Brady. However, the Patriots perservered and continued to win those close game. The Super Bowl was the one exception, as the New York Giants rushed Brady at will. With that said look for teams to follow the same forumula and the Patriots could be in some serious trouble with their two starting tackles not playing to an effective extent.

[2]. Run, Run, and Run

The Ravens realize that their passing attack isn't exactly something to brag about, but, their running attack could potentially be tops in the league before times end. Willie McGahee is still a top 15 back in the NFL and rookie Ray Rice just so happens to compliment him very well. Although undersized Rice is the player that could poise the most problems for the Patriots linebackers, preferably Tedy Bruschi and Victor Hobson. The more teams like Baltimore can establish the run the more success they will have passing the ball against an otherwise pores secondary so don't be surprised to see teams run, run, and run even if the yards come sparingly. Baltimore will look to attack converted safety Tank Williams who is new to the position and would be assumed, struggles shedding a block. Although Williams is very fast for his 6-3 230 frame, he is still raw at the position and will be a liability early on in the preseason and regular season. Along with Williams, look for the Ravens to attack Tedy Bruschi, who has lost a few steps from a season ago. Bruschi is a legend and he will be a Patriots hall of fame, but he looks very, very slow in training camp and look for him to steadily decline throughout the season.

[3]. Don't Back Down

Arrow Yes, it's preseason. I understand that. However, the Patriots are a very intimidating team so it'll be imperative for the Ravens to walk into Gillette Stadium with their chests pumped out and show them they can compete with them. If you can remember back to last season, the Ravens had all intentions on ending the Patriots perfect regular season, however after a few controversal calls against them, and a touchdown reception by Jabar Gaffney, they came up short. Look for Ray Lewis and other veterans to keep that in their minds and come out and try and take a win against the Pats in their house. But, yes it's preseason.

Key Matchup Battle 08-05-08

Overview 08-06-08

Conclusion: Prediction 08-07-08

Great break down.

Tommy point (which is a form of kudos given here on Celticsblog)

Now all you need to do is replace Lil Wayne with any other picture and I'll give you another one  :)
The only color that matters is GREEN