Author Topic: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude  (Read 10599 times)

Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude
« on: February 10, 2019, 02:43:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Says he's willing to step out of the starting lineup (presumably to be replaced by Jaylen or Gordon). Could they be the ones not having fun? Gordon doesn't look like he's having much fun, he looks frustrated most of the time out there, while Jaylen...who knows how Jaylen feels. Dude's body language is very hard to read.

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1094456023882977280

Updated transcript from Boston Herald as it was more complete:

“You seen a way tougher, more aggressive team. That’s just the bottom line," Morris said when he was first asked about the game. "They were just way tougher, way more aggressive -- emphasize the word ‘team’.”

“For me it’s not really about the loss. It’s about the attitudes that we’re playing with," Morris said. "Guys are hanging their heads. It’s just not fun. It’s not fun. We’re not competing at a high level. Even though we’re winning, it’s not fun. I don’t see the joy in the game. I watch all these other teams around the league and guys are up on the bench, they’re jumping on the court, they’re doing all of this other stuff that looks like they’re enjoying their teammates’ success, they’re enjoying everything, and they’re playing together and they’re playing to win. And when I look at us I just see a bunch of individuals.

“The goal has to be to win. Bottom line. We’ve gotta play to win. That’s sacrificing playing hard, that’s sacrificing being a better teammate, that’s sacrificing whatever it is. We have to put it to the side," Morris continued. "No one’s getting traded. The trade deadline’s over. We’re competing for a championship. And that’s how we’ve gotta approach these games. Win, lose or draw, man. We’re going to lose games, but we don’t have no attitude, we don’t have no toughness, we ain’t having fun. It’s been a long season.”

It hasn’t been fun for a long time, man. Just hasn’t been fun for a long time, man. It’s not a matter of winning or not, the attitude it’s — it is what it is,” he said.

Asked why this team hasn’t developed the way he hoped, Morris said, “Just becoming a team, man. I’m sacrificing. It’s not about shots, it’s not about lock-down, man. It’s not about that, it’s about trying to win a game, man. Whatever the team needs to do to win. We gotta stick together, we gotta play together. We have to be happy for one another. If that’s sacrificing shots, if that’s being better defensively, we have to do that, man.

“This s--- has to change, man.” Morris said after telling reporters it’s been a while since he’s had fun on this team. “We have to genuinely want to win, that has to be the first goal, whatever that change is, I’m with it. They want to take me out of the starting lineup, get some Juice in there, I’m with it, man. But I’m trying to win. That’s the main goal. Trade deadline is over, this is the team we rocking with, this is what we going with. End of the day, man, it’s unacceptable what we did tonight. It’s very unacceptable for a team of our caliber.”

Asked about Stevens’ intimation that it may be time to revisit the rotation, Morris shrugged.

“I have nothing to do with that. He’s the coach, if that’s what it is, so be it,” he said. “I just want to win, man. I just want to have fun. I want to win. Down the line, it’s just gotta be fun. Just gotta have fun doing this thing, man. I look at all these other teams and guys are jumping on the court and guys are moving the ball or guys helping each other on defense, guys are genuinely happy for each other. I look on this team, I don’t see that.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/09/kyrie-irving-hurt-celtics-squander-huge-lead-in-loss-to-clippers/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:04:30 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:50:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Even though we’re winning, it’s not fun.

Followed by

The goal has to be to win. Bottom line. We’ve gotta play to win.
But I’m trying to win. That’s the main goal.

Does this seem like a really all over the place train of thought to anyone else? We've won 10 of our last 13, including wins against Toronto and OKC, despite Mooks best efforts otherwise (bad efficiency).

Unsure why he did this. Seems like the locker-room is fractured. Oh well. A bunch of em will be gone for AD anyway
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:01:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Does look like winning has been papering over the cracks in the locker room. There's clearly some people not happy, and him bringing up coming out of the starting lineup suggests that it's either Jaylen, Gordon or Terry (or all of them) unhappy with their roles.

That comment you highlighted about "the goal has to be to win" basically confirms that he thinks some players are more concerned with individual achievements than team wins, which is why even when they are winning it's not fun, people aren't happy for each other when someone has a big game if it came at the expense of someone else not being able to take as many shots as they liked.

This problem has existed all season and really started when our underdog team last year made the ECF and were a quarter away from making the Finals, and without the top 2 stars in the team. We all thought last season was one of the most enjoyable seasons we had watched, because expectations were zero and they massively overachieved. Then this season last year's heroes are all told to play within themselves to accommodate 2 players who didn't contribute to that playoff success, and 2 bench guys get elevated to the starting lineup at the expense of 2 of the heroes. It's been an ongoing issue ever since to harmonize players' individual goals with those of the team.

This is really a Brad and Danny issue. Danny built the team (I guess he didn't expect Jaylen, Jayson and Terry to develop so quickly) and Brad has to synthesize everyone's talents into an efficient whole. But I think Danny is prepared to sacrifice this season for a chance to get AD otherwise he would have shipped some people out already.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:09:52 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Well this experiment is over, Brad. Everyone is losing it.

Time to go back to your opening night lineup.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 03:41:27 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Time for Ainge to start preparing for summer. This just ain't team that can consistently win. We got no chance in playoffs against PHI,TOR,MIL. Mark my words.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 03:47:20 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Time for Ainge to start preparing for summer. This just ain't team that can consistently win. We got no chance in playoffs against PHI,TOR,MIL. Mark my words.

I tend to agree and  CBS should be under scrutiny too.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:31:50 AM »

Offline e001

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • C Us Rise
The revolutionary experiment of positionless basketball has failed. I watch the Raptors and the players clearly know how to operate in their offense and what their roles are. When I watch the Celtics I don't know what the heck is going on unless Brad puts Kyrie and Horford in the pick and roll, which should be the go to play every time because it always works.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 05:40:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The revolutionary experiment of positionless basketball has failed. I watch the Raptors and the players clearly know how to operate in their offense and what their roles are. When I watch the Celtics I don't know what the heck is going on unless Brad puts Kyrie and Horford in the pick and roll, which should be the go to play every time because it always works.
Agree 100%, it's almost unguardable in this day and age.

Really dislike the positionless basketball we've tried to go for. I really like the way Utah and Toronto play, with guys in defined roles

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 06:01:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think this is a back and forth finger pointing thing that guys are doing and it needs to stop. We know which group played poorly against the Lakers and we know which group played poorly against the Clippers. Morris needs to be quiet with the media. He is just as guilty as others playing selfish ball at times and wanting to start. Why not say this after a game he was poor in? He only talks when certain guys have a bad game

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:06:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Mmm real interesting take and whatever’s happening back stage is probably wayyy worse than what’s being let on. A few guys don’t seem happy with their roles, and if I had to guess, it’d be Tatum, Rozier and Brown. That’s 1/3 of your rotation. Coincidentally, these are the 3 guys who led us to the ECF last year.

Add to that, it seems like Hayward has a negative aura about him. So just negative vibes all around. When we win, players seem like it’s “NBD, of course we were gonna win”. When we lose, players probably point fingers at each other or think to themselves “I need more touches”

This is all speculation but it doesn’t seem far fetched, no?

Tommy had a good point in that Clips game. He said “after a loss like this, it’s a sit-down moment and guys have to come together and talk about what do I need to do to be better for this team? Have some humility! In times like these, losers point fingers at each other. If they start doing that, then the season is lost.”

Wise words from a championship coach imo
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 06:08:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Mmm real interesting take and whatever’s happening back stage is probably wayyy worse than what’s being let on. A few guys don’t seem happy with their roles, and if I had to guess, it’d be Tatum, Rozier and Brown. That’s 1/3 of your rotation. Coincidentally, these are the 3 guys who led us to the ECF last year.

Add to that, it seems like Hayward has a negative aura about him. So just negative vibes all around. When we win, players seem like it’s “NBD, of course we were gonna win”. When we lose, players probably point fingers at each other or think to themselves “I need more touches”

Tommy had a good point in that Clips game. He said “after a loss like this, it’s a sit-down moment and guys have to come together and talk about what do I need to do to be better for this team? Have some humility! In times like these, losers point fingers at each other. If they start doing that, then the season is lost.”

The far fetched thing is Hayward having a 'negative aura'. What does that even mean?

There is definitely contention in the locker room though

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

The far fetched thing is Hayward having a 'negative aura'. What does that even mean?

Sorry lemme clarify. It seems like (watching the games at least), Hayward is the one more easily discouraged guys on the team. Guys like Jaylen and Rozier are more relentless (for better or worse as it can result in selfish play, quick shots, turnovers, etc.), but GH looks like he gets discouraged after a bad call goes against him or he gets shut down by the defense or he commits a turnover or two.

And then when he makes good plays, he doesn’t really get hyped either. Actually, it looks more like “ugh finally!” with the way he sometimes claps in frustration or shakes his head.

It’s not like he’s stoic out there. It just looks like he has a low key mopey vibe.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 06:18:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sorry lemme clarify. It seems like (watching the games at least), Hayward is the one more easily discouraged guys on the team. Guys like Jaylen and Rozier are more relentless (for better or worse as it can result in selfish play, quick shots, turnovers, etc.), but GH looks like he gets discouraged after a bad call goes against him or he gets shut down by the defense or he commits a turnover or two.

And then when he makes good plays, he doesn’t really get hyped either. Actually, it looks more like “ugh finally!” with the way he sometimes claps in frustration or shakes his head.

It’s not like he’s stoic out there. It just looks like he has a low key mopey vibe.
Ahhh, I see. He definitely is like that. I think he's very critical of himself, and because he was used to playing at such a high level for 3 years before the injury it must really hurt him to not be quite there yet. If only he and the young guys balanced their personalities. Terry seems like the complete opposite of Hayward, which is why they work so poorly together.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 06:24:39 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

Ahhh, I see. He definitely is like that. I think he's very critical of himself, and because he was used to playing at such a high level for 3 years before the injury it must really hurt him to not be quite there yet. If only he and the young guys balanced their personalities. Terry seems like the complete opposite of Hayward, which is why they work so poorly together.

Yeah, if Hayward had Rozier’s confidence, I think his season would’ve turned out very different. Probably less efficient but probably more consistently positively impacting.
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 06:40:10 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Well this experiment is over, Brad. Everyone is losing it.

Time to go back to your opening night lineup.

Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

This actually makes zero sense.  Their best group is Kyrie/Smart/Tatum/Morris/Horford, and it has been for some time now.  If anything, that group should play together more.

Morris is clearly commenting about the bench guys, my guess is probably Brown and Hayward, probably Rozier too.  Those 3 certainly look like they are having the least amount of fun playing basketball, certainly together.  More importantly, they are all probably competing against each other to get back in the starting 5.