Author Topic: Nets are NBA's Most Hopeless Franchise  (Read 12191 times)

Re: Nets are NBA's Most Hopeless Franchise
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

30-40 is not 50. 30-40 is possible and I would say probably (leaning closer to 30) but 50 is an absolute everything goes perfectly best case-scenario.

True, I agree.

But 30-40 wins in the East, at best, gets you into the 10-15 range of the draft.  Always a nice asset to have, but it's not the golden goose that it's been made out to be around here.

I've often seen the sentiment "We don't need to tank because the Nets will do it for us!"  Maybe not said exactly in that way, but that's the idea.  I don't think that's going to happen.
Completely agreed the Nets will never get you a top 5 pick because trying to lose will always lose better than trying to win.

Also worth noting 30 wins is currently the #7 pick and 40 wins is the #15 pick. I think it is pretty reasonable to propose that as the most probably landing zone for these picks however I would constrict it to 7-12/13 as I neither expect 40 wins from Brooklyn nor a playoff appearance for a 40 win team next year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Potential Auerbachian moves by Danny.

As others have said in the thread, BKN could win 50 games next season and the pick will be moot.

But they could also miss the playoffs entirely....no certainty with BKN at all.

If we could get a few big or mid-tier names soon, make the playoffs again next year, AND have lottery picks that would be GREAT.

This would remind me of the mid 80's when Red Auerbach swung those deals that turned into Len Bias...the amazing thing is that as I look back we had "just" won Banner 17 AND we had the number 2 pick.

This time around, won't be any sad stories. Smooth sailing ahead THIS time around.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
That's all well and good, but they could win 50 games next year and I wouldn't be surprised.   Just depends on what happens with Lopez and Thadeus.   With both those guys healthy, they should be a playoff team again next year.

i'd say that's unlikely. i'd bet they won't make the playoffs, and they certainly won't be anywhere near 50 wins. JJ and d-will will be a year older, and already those guys know they're doomed and look like they've given up. brook could be gone, or could be injured. they are old, slow, and fairly talentless. they can't impose their will athletically, and they only have one efficient offensive scorer, and he probably won't be there/healthy. i'd guess they'll finish around 11th in the east.

washington, cleveland, atlanta, chicago, and toronto are all pretty much locks to make the playoffs next year.

that leaves three spots.

milwaukee, boston, indiana, charlotte, and miami should all be solid. maybe detroit, orlando, or the knicks make some moves.

only three of those teams need to be  better than that crappy, heartless brooklyn team.
brooklyn has no cap space, and nothing to trade.
no free agent will want to sign there anyways, you can bet pierce's recent comments are known as truth around the league.
they'll be very lucky to get 7th or 8th, i think they finish maybe 11th in the east.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That's all well and good, but they could win 50 games next year and I wouldn't be surprised.   Just depends on what happens with Lopez and Thadeus.   With both those guys healthy, they should be a playoff team again next year.

Yup.  I agree.  People seem so sure that those future BRK picks are gonna be gold, but the Nets have no incentive to be bad and they still have those core guys who seem to find a way to win 35+ games every season.

The only way the Nets really go into the crapper is if they re-sign Lopez to a big deal and then he suffers a foot injury that ends his career.

The fact is, in the horrible East, it's just not very difficult to put together a 30-40 win team if you are willing to spend the maximum possible money to do it.

They have no incentive to be bad, but they do have one (possible) major incentive to not spend much - if Prokhorov is, as rumored, looking to sell the team, they're not going to want to take on a lot of long-term salary commitments, especially if it puts them in the luxury tax.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 03:50:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

30-40 is not 50. 30-40 is possible and I would say probably (leaning closer to 30) but 50 is an absolute everything goes perfectly best case-scenario.

True, I agree.

But 30-40 wins in the East, at best, gets you into the 10-15 range of the draft.  Always a nice asset to have, but it's not the golden goose that it's been made out to be around here.

I've often seen the sentiment "We don't need to tank because the Nets will do it for us!"  Maybe not said exactly in that way, but that's the idea.  I don't think that's going to happen.
Completely agreed the Nets will never get you a top 5 pick because trying to lose will always lose better than trying to win.

Also worth noting 30 wins is currently the #7 pick and 40 wins is the #15 pick. I think it is pretty reasonable to propose that as the most probably landing zone for these picks however I would constrict it to 7-12/13 as I neither expect 40 wins from Brooklyn nor a playoff appearance for a 40 win team next year.

Once they're out of the play-offs they're in the lottery. Lottery means "There's a chance" and even if we don't get a top 5. It's still the lottery and if you miss it in the east that's most likely a top 10. I expect the Bucks who get back Jabari Parker, the Pacers who get back Paul George, and the Heat who get back Chris Bosh all to be better. Maybe Toronto regresses, maybe the Hawks were a fluke, but I think Brooklyn just missing the play-offs is more likely.

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

they couldn't even win 40 this year and have no way of improving . How are the going to win 10+ more games next season ?
LarBrd is an admitted pessimist. He sees worst case scenarios. Thats why he picked us to win 15-25 games this year, why he thinks Smart will probably be a defensive role-player, and why he wouldnt be surprised to see Brooklyn win 50 games.

Dont confuse pessimist with troll.

With a healthy Brook Lopez and the addition of Thad Young this team played rather well down the stretch and in the playoffs. If Young and Lopez return along with some improvement from Mason Plumlee and Bogdanovich and a resurgence of Williams and Johnson (at least if they dont fall apart like wed hope them too) along with the destruction of Miami/Toronto and no other team making a huge improvement in the East then Brooklyn is a good bethas fighting chance to win 50 games.

However nearly all of these things need to happen for Brooklyn to sniff 50 wins. The biggest key is a healthy Lopez and he seems to be leaning towards opting out and if he doesnt what are the odds he stays healthy. The next key is a resurgence or at least treading water type performance from Williams and Johnson. It is more likely that they continue to get worse and worse. As for the young talent Bogdanovich is 26 and Plumlee is 25(although I like him a lot), they are getting close to evening out and I dont expect a huge breakout from either.

It is more likely that Lopez opts out, the old guys get worse, and this team finishes just ahead of the tank army that will probably occupy the majority of the bottom 10.
They improved after swapping KGs corpse for Thad.  Nets finished the season 13-6 and took the top seed team to 6 games.     They finished the season on a 56 win pace.   That team has enough talent to win 50 games next season.   Whether or not they keep Lopez/Thad and whether they remain healthy obviously matters.  But I'd bet on them making the playoffs before I bet on them bottoming out.

Brooklyn isn't a bad team.  They have made the playoffs 3 years in a row.   If Lopez and Thad abandon them, they might struggle.  Otherwise, should be back in the playoffs again next year... and 50 wins wouldn't shock me.   I agree 40ish is more reasonable. 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:22:28 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 04:09:51 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Potential Auerbachian moves by Danny.

As others have said in the thread, BKN could win 50 games next season and the pick will be moot.

But they could also miss the playoffs entirely....no certainty with BKN at all.

If we could get a few big or mid-tier names soon, make the playoffs again next year, AND have lottery picks that would be GREAT.

This would remind me of the mid 80's when Red Auerbach swung those deals that turned into Len Bias...the amazing thing is that as I look back we had "just" won Banner 17 AND we had the number 2 pick.

This time around, won't be any sad stories. Smooth sailing ahead THIS time around.

Nice catch, thx

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

they couldn't even win 40 this year and have no way of improving . How are the going to win 10+ more games next season ?
LarBrd is an admitted pessimist. He sees worst case scenarios. Thats why he picked us to win 15-25 games this year, why he thinks Smart will probably be a defensive role-player, and why he wouldnt be surprised to see Brooklyn win 50 games.

With a healthy Brook Lopez and the addition of Thad Young this team played rather well down the stretch and in the playoffs. If Young and Lopez return along with some improvement from Mason Plumlee and Bogdanovich and a resurgence of Williams and Johnson (at least if they dont fall apart like wed hope them too) along with the destruction of Miami/Toronto and no other team making a huge improvement in the East then Brooklyn is a good bethas fighting chance to win 50 games.

However nearly all of these things need to happen for Brooklyn to sniff 50 wins. The biggest key is a healthy Lopez and he seems to be leaning towards opting out and if he doesnt what are the odds he stays healthy. The next key is a resurgence or at least treading water type performance from Williams and Johnson. It is more likely that they continue to get worse and worse. As for the young talent Bogdanovich is 26 and Plumlee is 25(although I like him a lot), they are getting close to evening out and I dont expect a huge breakout from either.

It is more likely that Lopez opts out, the old guys get worse, and this team finishes just ahead of the tank army that will probably occupy the majority of the bottom 10.
They improved after swapping KGs corpse for Thad.  Nets finished the season 13-6 and took the top seed team to 6 games.     They finished the season on a 56 win pace.   That team has enough talent to win 50 games next season.   Whether or not they keep Lopez/Thad and whether they remain healthy obviously matters.  But I'd bet on them making the playoffs before I bet on them bottoming out.

Brooklyn isn't a bad team.  They have made the playoffs 3 years in a row.   If Lopez and Thad abandon them, they might struggle.  Otherwise, should be back in the playoffs again next year... and 50 wins wouldn't shock me.   I agree 40ish is more reasonable.
cmon now you use the term "top-seed" because you know the Hawks arent that good, you point out their win pace but tend not to credit the Celtics for their equally proficient stretch which was 2x as long (24-12). Health matters as you said and this was one of Lopez's healthier years.

I wouldnt be shocked if Lopez returns
I wouldnt be shocked if Thad Young returns
I wouldnt be shocked if Deron Williams doesnt fall off a cliff further than he has
I wouldnt be shocked if Joe Johnson doesnt get much worse
I wouldnt be shocked if New York doesnt become a threat to them
I wouldnt be shocked if Boston doesnt improve
I wouldnt be shocked if Toronto plays more like second half toronto than first half toronto
I wouldnt be shocked if Mason Plumlee improves
I wouldnt be shocked if Bogdanovich plays the way he did the last month of the year
I wouldnt be shocked if the Nets are somewhat healthy all year

I would be absolutely shocked if all 11 of these happen because thats what it would take before Brooklyn can start talking 50 games

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really think the factor that will play the largest role in determining where Brooklyn ends up next year is health. Does Joe Johnson, who will be 34 next year, which is ancient for a SG, stay healthy for a whole year once again? Does Lopez remain healthy given his injury history? Deron Williams decline has been due to trying to play with a myriad of injuries over his time in NJ/Brooklyn. Can he stay healthy?

If the Nets return this group and they get a year of good health, I expect a pick in the 14-20 range. But if they get a whole bunch of injuries, they could well be providing the C's with a promising lotto pick.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:13:57 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 04:57:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

cmon now you use the term "top-seed" because you know the Hawks arent that good, you point out their win pace but tend not to credit the Celtics for their equally proficient stretch which was 2x as long (24-12). Health matters as you said and this was one of Lopez's healthier years.

I wouldnt be shocked if Deron Williams doesnt fall off a cliff further than he has
I wouldnt be shocked if Toronto plays more like second half toronto than first half toronto
I wouldnt be shocked if Bogdanovich plays the way he did the last month of the year

I would be absolutely shocked if all 11 of these happen because thats what it would take before Brooklyn can start talking 50 games
There's a lot of talent on Brooklyn's roster.  Certainly more than the Celtics.   Brooklyn underachieved.  Boston overachieved.  Brooklyn is more likely to make the playoffs next season.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

There's a lot of talent on Brooklyn's roster.  Certainly more than the Celtics.   Brooklyn underachieved.  Boston overachieved.  Brooklyn is more likely to make the playoffs next season.

That's IF both rosters stay the same. There's no guarantee either of them will be by the start of next season.

EDIT:And even if they do, Lopez is still an injury risk. If he goes out again, Brooklyn's playoff chances go up in smoke.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

That's IF both rosters stay the same. There's no guarantee either of them will be by the start of next season.

EDIT:And even if they do, Lopez is still an injury risk. If he goes out again, Brooklyn's playoff chances go up in smoke.
Everyone seems to base their hypotheticals on the certainty that Lopez either leaves Brooklyn or gets injured.   One of those things might happen, but I'm not expecting it.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Well in 2K we always get a top 3 pick in both 2016 and 2017 with the Nets picks.

Lets hope for Ben Simmons and Thon Maker lol

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I don't think the Nets is all about health. It comes to the simple question : Do they want to play seriously together (talking about Deron and Joe particularly). Like PP said, the ambiance is horrible in Brooklyn and there is nothing he and KG could do to motivate the players to come together and win.
They couldn't change that in 2 seasons, what is it gonna be next season?
I'm afraid the only solution for them starts by stretching the bad contracts and take hungry average vet players (with young and plumlee) to perform at 40+ in the east next year.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 06:18:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Everyone seems to base their hypotheticals on the certainty that Lopez either leaves Brooklyn or gets injured.   One of those things might happen, but I'm not expecting it.

If he was on the Celtics I'm pretty sure you'd be saying the opposite.