Author Topic: Celtics (29-8) at Bucks (25-12) Game #38 1/11/24  (Read 11052 times)

Re: Celtics (29-8) at Bucks (25-12) Game #38 1/11/24
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2024, 01:25:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Everyone still just making excuses?

Celtics wanted this game which I’m assuming is why they didn’t play Porzingis against Minnesota. He was fresh and ready to go against Milwaukee. We got absolutely smoked.
Milwaukee is a legitimate threat and if it comes to a 7 game series people need to stop pretending as if they wouldn’t have a chance. Laughable.

Who has said they wouldn't have a chance IN A 7 GAME SERIES? Celtics got beat. It happens. They play 82 games. These happen. Just move on. It is January. Can you remember any of the games from last January?

We get it. You have more faith in the Bucks than the Celtics. Cool.

My guess is if the Bucks had played a back to back and been beaten badly by Boston last night with Boston having several days off at home to rest and prepare..and the Bucks playing their 5th game in 7 days (most of them on the road), you would have given the Bucks the benefit of the doubt and downplayed the C's big win.

Last season Boston beat the Bucks by 41 in March. So games like this do happen.

The general consensus in the media and with a lot of fans seems to be the Celtics are light years ahead of the bucks and the bucks stink.
Is that what we thought last year when they coasted to the best record? Of course not.
The teams are evenly matched and if they match up in the playoffs it’s gonna be a knock down drag out 7 game series

Possibly. But I don't think that this game is any definitive proof of that.

The funny thing is that this is just factually wrong. There is literally no evidence at this point that these teams are “evenly matched” at this point - whether it be the record, advanced stats, or any other metric.

Going into last night’s game, the Celtics were 2nd in both offensive and defensive rating and 1st in net rating, where the Bucks were third in offense and 21st in defense and I believe 9th in net rating. And even after that blowout, the discrepancy is still major, with us changing ranks in offensive ratings (Milwaukee - 2nd; Boston - 3rd), Milwaukee moving up to 19th in defensive rating and us moving to 4th, and us remaining 1st in net rating with Milwaukee at 8th.

It’s just simply wrong to say that we are an evenly matched team at this point when we’ve significantly performed better than them through essentially the first half of the season.

« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2024, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Only bright side in the brief time that the game was still a game, was Brissett continuing to establish himself as a positive high-energy guy off the bench.
Yup

« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2024, 01:46:02 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Only bright side in the brief time that the game was still a game, was Brissett continuing to establish himself as a positive high-energy guy off the bench.

TP for finding the bright side.  Yes Oshae played well, was aggressive going to the rim.  Lots of minutes for the bench going against the starters for the bucks, that is something good that you really can’t quantify.

« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2024, 02:43:28 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Celtics wanted this game which I’m assuming is why they didn’t play Porzingis against Minnesota. He was fresh and ready to go against Milwaukee. We got absolutely smoked.
Milwaukee is a legitimate threat and if it comes to a 7 game series people need to stop pretending as if they wouldn’t have a chance. Laughable.

Who has said they wouldn't have a chance IN A 7 GAME SERIES? Celtics got beat. It happens. They play 82 games. These happen. Just move on. It is January. Can you remember any of the games from last January?

My guess is if the Bucks had played a back to back and been beaten badly by Boston last night with Boston having several days off at home to rest and prepare..and the Bucks playing their 5th game in 7 days (most of them on the road), you would have given the Bucks the benefit of the doubt and downplayed the C's big win.

The general consensus in the media and with a lot of fans seems to be the Celtics are light years ahead of the bucks and the bucks stink.
Is that what we thought last year when they coasted to the best record? Of course not.
The teams are evenly matched and if they match up in the playoffs it’s gonna be a knock down drag out 7 game series

The funny thing is that this is just factually wrong. There is literally no evidence at this point that these teams are “evenly matched” at this point - whether it be the record, advanced stats, or any other metric.

Going into last night’s game, the Celtics were 2nd in both offensive and defensive rating and 1st in net rating, where the Bucks were third in offense and 21st in defense and I believe 9th in net rating. And even after that blowout, the discrepancy is still major, with us changing ranks in offensive ratings (Milwaukee - 2nd; Boston - 3rd), Milwaukee moving up to 19th in defensive rating and us moving to 4th, and us remaining 1st in net rating with Milwaukee at 8th.

It’s just simply wrong to say that we are an evenly matched team at this point when we’ve significantly performed better than them through essentially the first half of the season.

Eh the bucks were “significantly better” than us last season and I still thought we would match up fine with them in the playoffs. It’s just the reverse this year

« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2024, 03:36:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

They each won a home game in their head to head matchup. I could care less about the meaningless stats of offensive and defensive ratings. We can't discount the fact that the Bucks will not only have the best player in the series (Giannis) but also the best closer as well (Lillard). I do think the Celtics have the better overall team. All things considered, the teams are evenly matched.

« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2024, 04:01:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
stopped watching after the first quarter. Scheduling loss. Move on to Houston.

« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2024, 04:37:11 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Eh the bucks were “significantly better” than us last season and I still thought we would match up fine with them in the playoffs. It’s just the reverse this year

My brother in Christ, you’ve got to start doing research before posting. They were in no way “significantly better” than us last year. Despite having a one-game better record in the season than us, our statistics were much better all around, including net rating (1st versus 5th and doubled their net rating), offensive rating (2nd versus 15th), and defensive rating (2nd versus 4th). We also dominated the head to head matchups, including 2 blowouts (one by 41) and an OT loss where we sat all of our starters. There’s a reason they had a historical 1/8 series loss last year.

The same holds true this year as last year - the stats definitively show that we’re a significantly better team than them and are a nightmare matchup for them, probably even more so this year than last year.

« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2024, 06:32:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
We have a tough January:

https://www.nba.com/news/january-2024-nba-strength-of-schedule

The Bucks not so much...

« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2024, 09:34:09 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

My brother in Christ, you’ve got to start doing research before posting. They were in no way “significantly better” than us last year. Despite having a one-game better record in the season than us, our statistics were much better all around, including net rating (1st versus 5th and doubled their net rating), offensive rating (2nd versus 15th), and defensive rating (2nd versus 4th). We also dominated the head to head matchups, including 2 blowouts (one by 41) and an OT loss where we sat all of our starters. There’s a reason they had a   historical 1/8 series loss last year.

The same holds true this year as last year - the stats definitively show that we’re a significantly better team than them and are a nightmare matchup for them, probably even more so this year than last year.

I’m glad you remember our blowouts vs them last year but totally discount them blowing us out this year 

« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2024, 08:39:04 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I guess i'm just confused why its so hard to admit that playing 5 games in 7 nights, back to back  that went to OT where starters played 45 minutes, travelling, has any effect on the celtics shooting 32% from 2 and 6% from 3.

if anything this game is the outlier. not the other 37 games celtics played or whatever milwaukee played.

now if milwaukee loses to golden state tonight and boston wins against the rockets the narrative changes again?

Milwaukee is a very good team. theres a reason they are #2. but this win doesn't change that they have very serious defensive issues where the jazz/rockets gashed them.