Author Topic: This looks like a lotto squad to me  (Read 36644 times)

Re: This looks like a lotto squad to me
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The team looked like a lottery squad last year.

But something happened on the way to tanksville.

Team play is a new paradigm for many to comprehend.

The Celtics are rediscovering their legacy and going retro.

This year will be better than last year.

Their "legacy" is to have a bunch of bench players barely making the playoffs in a terrible conference? You do realize that the Celtics have the most HOFers of any franchise right? That most of them were high lotto picks?
He is referring to playing hard, as a team and getting the most out of their talent.

This team is extremely young, and building. Last year they barely made the playoffs, this year they will be better than that and the year after that they will be better than that.

Where's all of the improvement coming from?

Are you expecting huge leaps forward over the next two years from Smart and Young?  Are you hoping for Rozier, Hunter, or Mickey to turn into above average starters?
Um....yes.

Put down the rock brother. I have been posting on CB pretty much since Jeff uploaded it. I have posted on RealGM Celtics since Chris Wallace was our GM. Every year fans expect giant leaps from role players and rookies to become stud starters. Never happens. You either have what it takes to be a star in this league or not. Bottom line..
Oh yes. KG, Kobe, Jimmy Butler, Jeremy Lin, Chauncey Billups....nobody ever develops.

Youtube never has what I want when I want it. I wanted that short clip from Hamburger Hill where the drill instructor was like "I am not your brother."  They just never have it

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Their "legacy" is to have a bunch of bench players barely making the playoffs in a terrible conference? You do realize that the Celtics have the most HOFers of any franchise right? That most of them were high lotto picks?
He is referring to playing hard, as a team and getting the most out of their talent.

This team is extremely young, and building. Last year they barely made the playoffs, this year they will be better than that and the year after that they will be better than that.

Are you expecting huge leaps forward over the next two years from Smart and Young?  Are you hoping for Rozier, Hunter, or Mickey to turn into above average starters?
Um....yes.

Put down the rock brother. I have been posting on CB pretty much since Jeff uploaded it. I have posted on RealGM Celtics since Chris Wallace was our GM. Every year fans expect giant leaps from role players and rookies to become stud starters. Never happens. You either have what it takes to be a star in this league or not. Bottom line..

So you were the one running Rondo, Tony Allen, and Perkins out of town after their first year

No because no one expected them to be much more than they were. And all benefited immensely by playing next to three HOFers..
Yeah I too have been here since the site first started... RealGM in the early days. ESPN message boards before that.

Here's a little trivia for you.  We have drafted about 40 players since Paul pierce in 1998.  Over those 17 years, name all the players who became all-stars.

Tip 1:   There is only one name
Tip 2:   It's not rajon rondo.

First person to answer correctly gets a TP

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Um....yes.

So you were the one running Rondo, Tony Allen, and Perkins out of town after their first year

No because no one expected them to be much more than they were. And all benefited immensely by playing next to three HOFers..
Yeah I too have been here since the site first started... RealGM in the early days. ESPN message boards before that.

Here's a little trivia for you.  We have drafted about 40 players since Paul pierce in 1998.  Over those 17 years, name all the players who became all-stars.

Joe Johnson?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Um....yes.

I had two guesses and one was right. The other guy was drafted in 1997...

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Um....yes.

Joe Johnson? Anyway look at where we've been drafting. Wouldn't expect any of them to become all stars historically..

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Um....yes.

Joe Johnson?
Boom.  tp, my friend.

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I see the improvements coming from Smart, Crowder, and Sullinger. Thomas actually shot a career low % from 3 for the Celtics so his numbers could improve as well. If Amir Johnson can play at the same level he did two years ago then that is a huge improvement from Bass.

I am hoping for Young to show improvement and Rozier to be a huge upgrade from Phil Pressey. Hunter is probably the most ready to contribute right away of the young players. The Young players are in the position that solid play can earn them time, but with the depth on this team we won't need to count on any of them.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Um....yes.

Trivia.....name all the players drafted since 1998 by the Spurs who became all stars. I think there are two.

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Um....yes.

Joe Johnson?
Boom.  tp, my friend.

It was kind of an easy one, to be honest (I did think that Big Al might have made it a couple of years ago, but, nope, never an All Star).

And, I feel like excluding Rondo is a bit of a technicality.  No, we didn't draft him, but when you acquire a guy through a rookie to rookie draft day trade, in effect, it amounts to the same as actually drafting that player. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Um....yes.

I do get a little annoyed when people consider draft day trades of rookies as drafted by another team. The only reason why that is technically true is that you can't trade picks during the draft when they will be picked. Because of this, teams pick players for other teams and then trade those players. For example, Phx drafted Rondo because we told them to. So, clearly, Ainge drafted Rondo.

Good trivia question regardless. Trivia is supposed to leverage technicalities.

« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Trivia....name all the LA Clippers drafted since 1996 that became all stars. I think there are three despite being in the lottery almost every year from 1996 till 2011

« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Trivia...name all the all stars drafted by the Lakers since 1995 that have become all stars. There are two.

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2015, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Trivia. Name all the players drafted by the Knicks since 1989 that have become all stars and that have never played in the regular season or playoffs. There is one of each

« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Trivia....name all the players drafted by the Orlando Magic since 1994 that have become all stars and that never played a minute in the NBA. There is one of each.

« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Trivia....name all the players drafted by the Orlando Magic since 1994 that have become all stars and that never played a minute in the NBA. There is one of each.

Seems like an impossibility that a player could have achieved both those feats. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: