Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread : VOTING ENDS 8:00PM EST TONIGHT  (Read 1011454 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread - Round 5
« Reply #2385 on: August 24, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
There is still a bit of talent left, but after this round I'd assume most will be gone.

Disagree sir.

Seconded

« Reply #2386 on: August 24, 2013, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
There is still a bit of talent left, but after this round I'd assume most will be gone.

Disagree sir.

Seconded

Hence why I said I'd assume either way come 8th round we will probably see some rookies getting picked.

« Reply #2387 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I like depth, but because it can cause matchup nightmares in the playoffs. I mean lets say you have 2 C's and one of them dominates the opposing playoff team's C every time they play so clearly you might want to play that C even if your other C is a bit better.

Thank you.

Matchup nightmares is the word/s I'm really looking for. Fact is, even in the Playoffs you gotta sit the starters, so does my team. The advantage though is, my team has a better second unit that others. They can run rough shot on the other teams second unit, prompting the opponent to bring the starters to come back quickly.

Come 4th quarter time everyone on the other side is near exhaustion while Denver's players can still play aggressively because they're fresh, and the team did not have a setback from a production stand point. That's what everyone seems to not get. This team can afford to not have their best players logging minutes and getting tired, risking injuries because their backups as are competent.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2388 on: August 24, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Out of curiosity, Yoki, who are your starters.  Seems to me that while you have a deep-ish bench, you lack a 2nd starting wing.  That could come back to bite you.

I'm not sure how much I like the thought of playing Lowry/Lillard/Chandler major minutes together.

« Reply #2389 on: August 24, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Who's starting up the Coach's round?
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2390 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

Mod team.

« Reply #2391 on: August 24, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I like depth, but because it can cause matchup nightmares in the playoffs. I mean lets say you have 2 C's and one of them dominates the opposing playoff team's C every time they play so clearly you might want to play that C even if your other C is a bit better.

Thank you.

Matchup nightmares is the word/s I'm really looking for. Fact is, even in the Playoffs you gotta sit the starters, so does my team. The advantage though is, my team has a better second unit that others. They can run rough shot on the other teams second unit, prompting the opponent to bring the starters to come back quickly.

Come 4th quarter time everyone on the other side is near exhaustion while Denver's players can still play aggressively because they're fresh, and the team did not have a setback from a production stand point. That's what everyone seems to not get. This team can afford to not have their best players logging minutes and getting tired, risking injuries because their backups as are competent.

Don't forget the thin air home court advantage. I dig it.

« Reply #2392 on: August 24, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Out of curiosity, Yoki, who are your starters.  Seems to me that while you have a deep-ish bench, you lack a 2nd starting wing.  That could come back to bite you.

I'm not sure how much I like the thought of playing Lowry/Lillard/Chandler major minutes together.

Yep, That's one thing I won't disagree, I need to address the SG spot.

And you're right, Lowry-Lillard and Chandler won't be playing as much, Lillard and Lowry are too similar. Lowry would just be a straight up backup, playing 12-15 minutes.

Bogut and Monroe are starting along with Chandler in his true SF position and Lillard. Varejao backs up both Monroe and Bogut while Landry is an insurance policy incase any of the three goes down with injuries.

« Reply #2393 on: August 24, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

Mod team.

They're sitting on the pick.

What's the general consensus on coaching? I tend to weigh it, but if most won't, I'm going to throw my pick away for good gif potential.

« Reply #2394 on: August 24, 2013, 02:31:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Thank you.

Don't forget the thin air home court advantage. I dig it.

That is SO right! Thank you. This is a TP!

« Reply #2395 on: August 24, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
riah is on his honeymoon and should be back Monday but just going off his list and taking BPA here is what Portland came out to be:

PG: Brandon Jennings
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Luol Deng
PF: Carmelo Anthony
C: Andrew Bynum

My thoughts:

I hated the Bynum pick and that riah had him rated so high. I would have gone for a different center because of Bynum's injury history. That said, if Bynum is healthy, massively huge if, he is a steal in the 4th round and gives this team the defense, rim protecting and rebounding it sorely needed.

I also wasn't thrilled about the Jennings pick as I would have preferred a distributor, floor general type PG with all the offensive capabilities of JJ, Deng and Melo.

All in all though, the team is just deep in basketball talent at every position even if the parts don't fit perfect together. My guess is riah will make a trade or two to make adjustments and if he gets equal value coming back but better fitting players, this could be a team to watch out for.

« Reply #2396 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

And you're right, Lowry-Lillard and Chandler won't be playing as much, Lillard and Lowry are too similar. Lowry would just be a straight up backup, playing 12-15 minutes.

Bogut and Monroe are starting along with Chandler in his true SF position and Lillard. Varejao backs up both Monroe and Bogut while Landry is an insurance policy incase any of the three goes down with injuries.

Another big, big problem with having too much depth: You're playing the guy you drafted all the way in the 4th round only 12-15 minutes a game. That's not exactly capitalizing on value.

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread - COACHES ROUND BOSTON UP
« Reply #2397 on: August 24, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Nick, may I just say, from the draft board to the roster thread and trades, you're making this look easy - only we know it's not. I tip my cap.

« Reply #2398 on: August 24, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
riah is on his honeymoon and should be back Monday but just going off his list and taking BPA here is what Portland came out to be:

PG: Brandon Jennings
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Luol Deng
PF: Carmelo Anthony
C: Andrew Bynum

The team got very nice value for where it was drafting, but Jennings, Johnson, and Melo on the same team?

« Reply #2399 on: August 24, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Another big, big problem with having too much depth: You're playing the guy you drafted all the way in the 4th round only 12-15 minutes a game. That's not exactly capitalizing on value.

Not capitalizing?

1.) If Lillard goes down and miss games with injuries, I got a backup PG who's a capable starter and could do what Lillard does, (well not so much in the scoring part) and he's better defensively.

2.) I reiterate it again, it keeps Lillard full of energy come fourth quarter time so he can explode, without losing significant production when he sits for 15 minutes.

3.) That would be 15 minutes of torture for whoever backup PG will be going against Lowry. For 15 minutes he will lockdown that PG, disrupt the offense of the opposing team and torch him on the other side.

4.) When Lillard get's into foul trouble, Denver would still have a very good PG who can play for extended minutes.

Just because he's drafted in the 4th doesnt mean he has to log in minutes.