Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread : VOTING ENDS 8:00PM EST TONIGHT  (Read 1011456 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread - Round 5
« Reply #2355 on: August 24, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Heat are taking offers on Chris Bosh, Josh Smith, Chandler Parsons, Gordon hayward, Steve Nash, the whole shebang!

« Reply #2356 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
It seems like there are broad opinions on the dallas-boston trade.

My opinion is that if you didn't get the first pick in this draft, you've got to take some chances if you want to contend. If Gordon is healthy, the Kanter-Gordon side may have just hit lotto. Gallinari is a good player and Valenciunas has promise, but Kanter has shown more so far and they are comparable age/experience. Gallinari's upside is nothing like Gordon's.

« Reply #2357 on: August 24, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25617
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It seems like there are broad opinions on the dallas-boston trade.

My opinion is that if you didn't get the first pick in this draft, you've got to take some chances if you want to contend. If Gordon is healthy, the Kanter-Gordon side may have just hit lotto. Gallinari is a good player and Valenciunas has promise, but Kanter has shown more so far and they are comparable age/experience. Gallinari's upside is nothing like Gordon's.

Interesting take.  I have the trade as almost dead even, both in terms of talent and upside.  I think Dallas gave its team better balance, and Boston brought a more versatile skill set to its big men.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2358 on: August 24, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Glancing through the rosters so far, here's the list of the most outstanding teams in the East so far...

Cleveland: Great balance throughout the roster. Defense will be solid, and they're doing a great job filling out the roster with competent scorers. Lawson's a super underrated PG, and there's not much to complain about at all.

Detroit: TOTF frontrunner for me. Philly's looking solid but I like the prospect's of Detroit's youngsters way more. They also complement each other a lot better than Philly's.

Milwaukee: This is actually a team that has potential to make a lot of noise despite not carrying any big names. It's got a lot of balance similar to Cleveland, and Okafor still quietly remains one of the better defending and rebounding centers in the league.

Miami: Nash is over the hill but still remains a shrewd playmaker. Hayward and Parsons are two very versatile wing players, while Smith and Bosh form just as dynamic of a frontcourt. Having conceded the limelight to Lebron and Wade, Bosh is also easily forgotten as a legitimate star talent. This can definitely shape up into a very dangerous team.

Washington: I dislike Harris at SF, nor his draft position, but this team nails everything else. Wall/Klay is a killer backcourt, with both guys's skill set complementing each others' perfectly. Amir/Noah forms just as deadly of a frontcourt, and they have to be one of the toughest defensive frontcourts in the league. The amount of energy and passion those two will bring is immeasurable. Especially considering Washington was picking from the last spot in the first round, this is a mighty impressive roster.

I'll do the West tomorrow.

San Antonio: I covered this team earlier so I won't get too redundant, but the versatility from top through bottom on this team is impressive.

Memphis: Ilyasova and Pekovic might just be the most impressive unathletic frontcourt ever assembled. This comes with both its pros and cons, but I'd definitely say the good outweighs the bad. Besides, it's really hard not to make a competitive team with CP3 at the helm. I feel like this team could be even more potent if they went with someone else over Oladipo though.

Houston: 1-3 is godly, and not much more needs to be said of Dragic/Harden/Batum. Gortat is a solid center as well. Al Jefferson at the 4 is going to be an issue but considering the moves Houston has made to get here, I'm confident they'll figure something out. However, even with Big Al at the 4, this team is already looking quite imposing.

Los Angeles: I'm not judging my own team for obvious reasons, but our cross-town rivals are definitely on our radar. There's a lot of glaring weaknesses, but conversely, a lot of glaring strengths. Their frontcourt defense is extremely porous and Derozan is a very poor fit on this team. At the same time, you can never ignore a Rose/Blake combo on the offensive end, and Afflalo and Vooch are solid complementary pieces. This team can easily get to the next level with some solid moves.

Phoenix: West and Duncan win the most consistent but boring frontcourt duo out there. Butler is only 23 years old but doesn't play like one. The backcourt may be a little bit iffy, but Teague has shown promising strides the past two seasons, while Mayo has demonstrated flashes himself under all his inconsistency.

Minnesota: Lebron. That is all.

« Reply #2359 on: August 24, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Glancing through the rosters so far, here's the list of the most outstanding teams in the East so far...

Cleveland: Great balance throughout the roster. Defense will be solid, and they're doing a great job filling out the roster with competent scorers. Lawson's a super underrated PG, and there's not much to complain about at all.

Detroit: TOTF frontrunner for me. Philly's looking solid but I like the prospect's of Detroit's youngsters way more. They also complement each other a lot better than Philly's.

Milwaukee: This is actually a team that has potential to make a lot of noise despite not carrying any big names. It's got a lot of balance similar to Cleveland, and Okafor still quietly remains one of the better defending and rebounding centers in the league.

Miami: Nash is over the hill but still remains a shrewd playmaker. Hayward and Parsons are two very versatile wing players, while Smith and Bosh form just as dynamic of a frontcourt. Having conceded the limelight to Lebron and Wade, Bosh is also easily forgotten as a legitimate star talent. This can definitely shape up into a very dangerous team.

Washington: I dislike Harris at SF, nor his draft position, but this team nails everything else. Wall/Klay is a killer backcourt, with both guys's skill set complementing each others' perfectly. Amir/Noah forms just as deadly of a frontcourt, and they have to be one of the toughest defensive frontcourts in the league. The amount of energy and passion those two will bring is immeasurable. Especially considering Washington was picking from the last spot in the first round, this is a mighty impressive roster.

San Antonio: I covered this team earlier so I won't get too redundant, but the versatility from top through bottom on this team is impressive.

Memphis: Ilyasova and Pekovic might just be the most impressive unathletic frontcourt ever assembled. This comes with both its pros and cons, but I'd definitely say the good outweighs the bad. Besides, it's really hard not to make a competitive team with CP3 at the helm. I feel like this team could be even more potent if they went with someone else over Oladipo though.

Houston: 1-3 is godly, and not much more needs to be said of Dragic/Harden/Batum. Gortat is a solid center as well. Al Jefferson at the 4 is going to be an issue but considering the moves Houston has made to get here, I'm confident they'll figure something out. However, even with Big Al at the 4, this team is already looking quite imposing.

Los Angeles: I'm not judging my own team for obvious reasons, but our cross-town rivals are definitely on our radar. There's a lot of glaring weaknesses, but conversely, a lot of glaring strengths. Their frontcourt defense is extremely porous and Derozan is a very poor fit on this team. At the same time, you can never ignore a Rose/Blake combo on the offensive end, and Afflalo and Vooch are solid complementary pieces. This team can easily get to the next level with some solid moves.

Phoenix: West and Duncan win the most consistent but boring frontcourt duo out there. Butler is only 23 years old but doesn't play like one. The backcourt may be a little bit iffy, but Teague has shown promising strides the past two seasons, while Mayo has demonstrated flashes himself under all his inconsistency.

What? No love for Denver, the deepest team in the league by far?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2360 on: August 24, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

I love your team, but what I really love is the fleeting fantasy of a universe wherein Anderson Varejao and Andrew Bogut are both healthy for a full season =/

« Reply #2361 on: August 24, 2013, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175

I think my team is more than just Lebron...
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #2362 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Thoughts on the trade: Eric Gordon's value lies in asking people to believe in fairies. Personally I think he'll have a great year, but with the news that Gallinari will be back by December, and (My Name Is) Jonas Valley-val's more proven track record, and hence more familiar skillset, I thought it would be better to have two birds in hand, rather then tell you all how tasty the birds in the bush are for a few weeks.

Gallinari had his best year as a pro last year, and he even managed to get his defense and 3pt shooting within acceptable margins. He'll be versatile as a 3 and a stretch 4, and I'm all about the versatility.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2363 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Depth is nice in the regular season, but where is the talent that will carry you through the postseason? Besides, Varejao AND Bogut on the same team? I hope you have the Phoenix Suns medical staff... Lowry and Chandler haven't been exactly healthy the past few seasons, either.

« Reply #2364 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just to point out Ryno's value in an offense, the numerous PnR's I'll be running with Conley/George should demonstrate this well.

Running a PnR with Conley/George the top of the key, with Ryno hanging out in either wing/corner pulls his defender out of the paint.  This leaves one big to defend the rim.  Conley can then easily drive to the rim, force the C to make a choice and then either dump the ball to George on the roll, to Okafor for the easy dunk, Ryno on the wing for a 3 if his man sags in, or occasionally to George on a pick-and-pop.  Having Redick in the corner will further space the floor and put even more pressure on a D to rotate crisply and without heisitation.

« Reply #2365 on: August 24, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
MInnesota-

I don't mean this to say that you got bad value for them pick-wise, because I actually don't think you did. BUT The fun thing about your team, though, is that Lebron is paired with what might be five of the ten most overrated players in the NBA. If you could figure out a way to trade Lebron for Derrick Rose and Rudy Gay, you'd have something historical in the makings

« Reply #2366 on: August 24, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I love your team, but what I really love is the fleeting fantasy of a universe wherein Anderson Varejao and Andrew Bogut are both healthy for a full season =/

But wasn't Bogut starting to be healthy and was very significant in the Playoffs, who BTW held did and awesome job defending the paint.

And IIRC, Andy was playing hurt but did not have a major injury last season, when he's poised to make an All Star appearance. A blood clot doesnt degenerate any basketball skills, nor physical ability Varejao has. And he's the backup.

Give us a better backup Center than Varejao right now?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2367 on: August 24, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

But wasn't Bogut starting to be healthy and was very significant in the Playoffs, who BTW held did and awesome job defending the paint.

And IIRC, Andy was playing hurt but did not have a major injury last season, when he's poised to make an All Star appearance. A blood clot doesnt degenerate any basketball skills, nor physical ability Varejao has. And he's the backup.

I can think of one, but we're not allowed to name names.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2368 on: August 24, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

You're preaching to the choir, Yoki, but based on minutes played over the last 2-3 seasons, you've got to admit your yet-to-be-named third string center is likely to get a lot of run.

« Reply #2369 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think my team is more than just Lebron...

Yeah, it is.

DeAndre, Ibaka, LeBron is a very nice front court.  DeAndre is the weakest player of the 3, but I doubt you'll be playing him much at the end of games.  You do need an additional F to allow this to happen, though.

Bradley and Ellis is a very interesting back court.  Ellis is an underrated defender, and we all know how good AB is on that end (he really is a perfect PG next to Bron).  I do question how effective Ellis will be on offense though.  He has historically been a high usage, low efficiency player.  Will he be able to thrive without the ball in his hands, even with all the pressure off of him next to Bron?