Author Topic: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...  (Read 22276 times)

Re: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2024, 10:45:47 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189
I'd be good with Mills or Porter. A solid vet for the bench.

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2024, 10:50:34 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I don’t know about Otto Porter. I don’t see how he would play. Brissett and Tillman would be ahead of him. I would rather find another Springer type. A prospect who might actually turn into something.

What about Jaylin Galloway?  21 years old, just finished season in Australia. 6'6" defender. 4 seasons of pro ball already. Same hometown as JB.

I know nothing about Jaylin Galloway but that is the type of player that I was referring to.  Someone who may be useful moving forward over a recycled vet.  Otto Porter is an interesting option also but I just have my doubts that he will end up doing anything.

https://clutchpoints.com/bucks-news-milwaukee-signs-intriguing-rising-star-out-of-australia

Bucks apparently getting him on a 2-way

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2024, 11:20:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
Bucks to sign Jaylin Galloway
Shams Charania: The Milwaukee Bucks are planning to sign forward Jaylin Galloway on a two-way NBA contract out of the Sydney Kings in the National Basketball League, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. The 6-foot-7 wing has been an emerging player in Sydney over the last four years
. pic.twitter.com/cBPKZqivEo – via Twitter ShamsCharania
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:42:20 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2024, 11:58:27 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I am not sure how this works.  How is it that Galloway can enter the league and not participate in the draft?  What I understand is that he went from High School to Australia to play (graduated HS in 2021).  Is it a certain number of years you have to play outside the US and then any team can sign you (he played 3 seasons I believe)?  Was he in a past draft but not selected?  How is he different than Victor Wembanyama who had to go through the draft after playing internationally?

OK, I found my answer:

Jun 23, 2022 - Jaylin Galloway went undrafted in the 2022 NBA Draft making him an Unrestricted FA.

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2024, 03:11:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: After clearing waivers, center Mike Muscala plans to sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rest of the season. Muscala — who agreed to a buyout with Detroit — spent 2019-2023 with OKC and returns to bring depth for a postseason run. – via Twitter wojespn

I guess you can take Muscala off the list.  I wonder if there was any consideration by Boston or vice versa. 

« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2024, 03:44:05 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: After clearing waivers, center Mike Muscala plans to sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder for the rest of the season. Muscala — who agreed to a buyout with Detroit — spent 2019-2023 with OKC and returns to bring depth for a postseason run. – via Twitter wojespn

I guess you can take Muscala off the list.  I wonder if there was any consideration by Boston or vice versa.

Beats me if the Celtics reached out, but I’m personally not surprised by this outcome:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1762686331325501825

Should Brad be calling?

Is he better than Queta?  I’ve got to imagine he goes to OKC if he winds up on a former team that traded him.

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2024, 04:25:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Beats me if the Celtics reached out, but I’m personally not surprised by this outcome:

Should Brad be calling?

Is he better than Queta?  I’ve got to imagine he goes to OKC if he winds up on a former team that traded him.

You must have good sources!

I am not the least bit disappointed.  I like Tillman better.  Feel like been there, done that with Muscala.

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2024, 10:37:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Should Brad be calling?

You must have good sources!

I am not the least bit disappointed.  I like Tillman better.  Feel like been there, done that with Muscala.
Especially after the Mavs game.

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2024, 08:19:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Yes, very promising game for Tillman. Interesting that it was Kornet’s minutes that he took.  I am not aware of any Kornet injury.

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2024, 08:43:02 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623
Yes, very promising game for Tillman. Interesting that it was Kornet’s minutes that he took.  I am not aware of any Kornet injury.

My guess is he took Queta’s minutes. Quetta and Kornet were sorta sharing those 15 3rd string minutes on a game to game basis. Prolly matchup dependent.

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2024, 10:05:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

My guess is he took Queta’s minutes. Quetta and Kornet were sorta sharing those 15 3rd string minutes on a game to game basis. Prolly matchup dependent.

Maybe, but I am not sure it matters.  Brissett played about what he usually plays (3-4 minutes) and Tillman was used as the 3rd big in the regular rotation.  About the same minutes as Pritchard or Hauser.  Whether he took minutes from Queta or Kornet isn't the point.

This could be match up dependent and maybe next game they go back to Kornet (or Queta) but it seemed to me that Tillman showed he is a notch above either and could be on track to become the 3rd big, regardless of match ups.  They still could mix and match through the regular season but I would rather see them just go with Tillman, get as much time for him with the regulars as you can.

Now the odd ball 3-4 minutes that Brissett has been getting could be rotated between him, Kornet, and Queta, but if Tillman keeps playing like he did last night, he is going to get the regular rotation, 3rd big minutes, similar to Pritchard or Hauser.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:28:03 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2024, 11:02:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3019
  • On To Banner 18!
The hope for Queta is that he grows into a very solid role player for us just like Hauser

But for 2024, he just isn't going to have any role in the playoffs unless it's pure garbage time. So I would still take Porter Jr as the 15th guy even for just some depth. He has a ring and legit playoff experience. Even for a few minutes here or there that's still more than what Queta could provide now.

It would still be cool if Griffin wanted to come back and "ring chase" but my guess is that ship has truly sailed, he's probably just decided to stay away from basketball this year.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2024, 11:24:16 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2717
The T-wolves are signing TJ Warren. Was interested in him as a scorer off the bench for the Celtics, but I don't know how his defense would hold up.

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2024, 11:39:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I may be putting too much stake in Tillman's play in one game but I am going to go ahead and assume that the rotations in the last game are representative of what the core rotations will be moving forward.  This is how it broke down (some rounding):

PG:   Holiday (32), Pritchard (16)
SG:   White (32), Brown (16)
SF:   Tatum (14), Brown (16), Hauser (18)
PF:   Horford (26), Tatum (22)
C:    Porzingis (30), Tillman (18)

I think that adds up to 48 min at each of the 5 positions.  To me, what is interesting is this rotation will result in 22 minutes with 1-big (one of Porzingis, Horford, Tillman), and 26 minutes with 2-bigs.  If you want more 2-big, you probably reduce Pritchard and/or Hauser and increase Horford and/or Tillman.  The end result is more Tatum at SF and less Tatum at PF.  If you want less 2-big, you do the opposite.  The starter minutes are probably pretty set.

« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2024, 01:52:26 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Hopefully Queta will be alright after not returning following his knee injury last night. If it wasn’t already decided that we wouldn’t be taking him on for the playoffs…. if the injury is potentially serious they may just have to make that decision.