Poll

What contract would you give Derick White?

4/100, 25 million a year
1 (3.2%)
4/120, 30 million a year, his max extension
6 (19.4%)
4/140, 35 million a year
9 (29%)
4/160, 40 million a year
9 (29%)
4/180, 45 million a year
4 (12.9%)
4/200, 50 million a year (about his max if he goes all the way to free agency).
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: What do you think Derrick White is worth?  (Read 6723 times)

Re: What do you think Derrick White is worth?
« Reply #90 on: Today at 02:23:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1396
Quote from: celticsclay qlink=topic=108871.msg3246859#msg3246859 date=1715686725
I don't think making an all nba team automatically makes someone elite.  He is an excellent defender, but excellent and elite are not the same thing.  He might not even be the best guard defender on this team.

What are you talking about? You’ve created your own definition of excellent and elite play? DWhite is good, JB is good, etc. The Celtics are a good team.
Um, everyone has their own definition of elite and excellent. If everyone had the same definition there wouldn't be discussions. To bring this actually on topic, in your view, is White as good a defender as Caruso?

Can you sit back and ask yourself a question. If there is one guard that may be better than him defensively, is this relevant to him being elite? You either think wemby is better than gobert or vise versa. That means one of them isnt elite? Again, you made a dumb comment. Nobody cares just stop with this nonsense and doubling down on a straw man. Derrick white is an elite defensive player. He probably isn’t elite at anything else.
your lack of reading retention is astounding.

Ahh yes the last flail of a losing argument. An insult. Derrick white is an elite defender is recognized for it around the league. You made a dumb comment. You got called out on it by multiple posters. It happens. Lets move on.
in my view, White is not an elite defender. This isn't an argument, that is my opinion. My opinion is baseqd on actual stats and watching games.  Mitchell has torched the C's this series and is shooting out of this world. Against the Magic and an actual elite defender in Suggs, Mitchell shot 25% from 3, scoring about 3 ppg less with basically same amount of shots. Rebounds and assists were down as well against the Magic. Garland also looks much closer to all star form this series than he did against the Magic.  Suggs is an elite defender, White is not. They are just a different tier of player.  As is Caruso, as is SGA.  The Celtics have a lot of great defenders, which makes everyone look better.

At the end of a close game where Boston needs a stop, I'd still take Holiday over White defensively if I had to choose between the 2. Holiday still has the higher peak and at his best he is an elite defender.  He can't go full bore all game long like he used to be able to though, but he certainly peaks out as elite. I just don't think White can hit that level. He is an excellent defender, but there is absolutely a difference between excellent and elite.

Dwhite's All NBA 2nd Team Defense recognition will beg to differ with you.  If D White isn't elite then the NBA doesn't have any elite defensive guards.
I mean Larry Hughes made an All Defense team (1st team even) as did Mikal Bridges, Dr. J, Latrell Spreewell, John Wall, John Starks, and countless other guys that weren't elite defenders, while Marc Gasol can win DPOY and have only have 1 2nd Team All Defense in his entire career

Not every All-Defense performer is KG or Mookie Blaylock.  That doesn't mean they're not elite compared to their peers.  The All-Defense team selections aren't perfect -- sometimes they award reputation and guys who make flashy plays -- but they're usually a pretty good indicator.

But, more than that, how can anybody watch Celtics games without recognizing that both Jrue and White are top-tier defenders?

Well said Roy

Re: What do you think Derrick White is worth?
« Reply #91 on: Today at 02:49:27 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 428
Alway said Holiday is biggest part of Celtics success, he may not light up the box score but does all the little thing like defense same as white
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin