Author Topic: Shams: Pelicans had no intention of trading Davis (to LA) before deadline  (Read 4149 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I absolutely believe if they would have gotten an offer of all the young players and 4 1st round picks, they would have traded Davis to the Lakers.  The Lakers never offered that, so no deal was made.
you're about the only one who'd believe NO would give up a top-3 player for young players that are mediocre and 4 picks that are likely to be mid-firsts at best.   LA's youth hasn't accomplished anything in LA.  why would they think they'd start accomplishing anything in NO? 

At least the youth in Boston got to the ECF and would have been in the finals had they not had a historically bad shooting night in game 7.
the last 2 of those 1st's were so far in the future that there was a very good chance they would have been high picks.
"so far in the future" does not mean "a very good chance they would have been high picks".  in reality, it gives them more time to improve so that they'd only be forking over late picks -- particularly if they still have Davis and some other FA's.
The Pelicans wanted unprotected picks in 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  6 years out is a very long time, especially since Lebron likely wouldn't be on the team, Davis if he is even on the team may be an albatross contract given his age and injury history, and coupled with the fact that the Lakers would be giving up all of their youth and eliminating half their draft picks so they won't be able to refill their roster aside from free agency (i.e. no draft or no trades).  I'd bet that the if that trade happened at least 1, if not more than 1 of those picks would have been lottery picks.  Remember what people were saying about those Nets picks when the trade was made.  Just some late 1st's and not worth much.  I get that Davis is younger, but he is also very injury prone. 

But the reason the Pelicans asked for all those picks is because the Lakers younger players don't have the super high end potential.  There isn't a Tatum there, so to counteract that, the Pelicans wanted to load up on unprotected 1st round picks.  I get why the Lakers wouldn't want to do that, but thems the breaks, and it doesn't mean the Pelicans acted in bad faith or weren't going to trade him under any circumstances.  Give them what they asked for and the trade happens.
even if Lebron is on his last contract, no guarantee of that, he'd be around for a couple of those picks so they'd be unlikely to be lottery picks if he had AD as well.  the last 2 picks may not have Lebron around but no way the Lakers wouldn't move heaven and earth to land FA's to put around AD.  If they give up that much to get him, they're not going to squander his prime years wallowing in the lottery.   Even if they don't make a big splash in free agency and just sign good players with whatever cap space they have, AD with a decent supporting cast gets them into the playoffs or IF they did end up missing the playoffs, they'd barely miss it such that they're lottery pick is a late lottery pick or essentially a mid-first-round pick. 

took me a while to respond because I went into shock when you didn't say the Lakers youth was as good as or better than Tatum.  so unlike you.

Honestly if the offer was Zubac/Kuzma/Ball/Ingram/Hart, 1-2 expiring + 4-5 picks (including 2 past 2023), I think NOLA would have taken it. That's a lot of value unless if we're willing to give up Tatum AND Brown/Smart (which maybe we aren't). Zubac is great and I think LAL was extremely dumb to trade him (similar to them dumping/letting go of Randle, Russell, Lopez, etc).

BUT, as I've said in this thread, I doubt LAL actually offered all that. They hoped the media and fan pressure would cause NOLA to do the trade but they didn't. Remember that first lowball offer we heard from LA's side (Ingram, Rondo, Beasley, Hart + 2 picks)? Their real offer was probably similar to that. They also tried lowballing for Kawhi and PG13 knowing they "wanted" LA but failed.

I don't think @moranis is wrong. Even a lot of LAL fans didn't want to trade their whole team for just AD. And of course NOLA knew Lonzo didn't want to play for them and that LAL only offered like 2 of their young core players (not all).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I absolutely believe if they would have gotten an offer of all the young players and 4 1st round picks, they would have traded Davis to the Lakers.  The Lakers never offered that, so no deal was made.
you're about the only one who'd believe NO would give up a top-3 player for young players that are mediocre and 4 picks that are likely to be mid-firsts at best.   LA's youth hasn't accomplished anything in LA.  why would they think they'd start accomplishing anything in NO? 

At least the youth in Boston got to the ECF and would have been in the finals had they not had a historically bad shooting night in game 7.
the last 2 of those 1st's were so far in the future that there was a very good chance they would have been high picks.
"so far in the future" does not mean "a very good chance they would have been high picks".  in reality, it gives them more time to improve so that they'd only be forking over late picks -- particularly if they still have Davis and some other FA's.
The Pelicans wanted unprotected picks in 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  6 years out is a very long time, especially since Lebron likely wouldn't be on the team, Davis if he is even on the team may be an albatross contract given his age and injury history, and coupled with the fact that the Lakers would be giving up all of their youth and eliminating half their draft picks so they won't be able to refill their roster aside from free agency (i.e. no draft or no trades).  I'd bet that the if that trade happened at least 1, if not more than 1 of those picks would have been lottery picks.  Remember what people were saying about those Nets picks when the trade was made.  Just some late 1st's and not worth much.  I get that Davis is younger, but he is also very injury prone. 

But the reason the Pelicans asked for all those picks is because the Lakers younger players don't have the super high end potential.  There isn't a Tatum there, so to counteract that, the Pelicans wanted to load up on unprotected 1st round picks.  I get why the Lakers wouldn't want to do that, but thems the breaks, and it doesn't mean the Pelicans acted in bad faith or weren't going to trade him under any circumstances.  Give them what they asked for and the trade happens.
even if Lebron is on his last contract, no guarantee of that, he'd be around for a couple of those picks so they'd be unlikely to be lottery picks if he had AD as well.  the last 2 picks may not have Lebron around but no way the Lakers wouldn't move heaven and earth to land FA's to put around AD.  If they give up that much to get him, they're not going to squander his prime years wallowing in the lottery.   Even if they don't make a big splash in free agency and just sign good players with whatever cap space they have, AD with a decent supporting cast gets them into the playoffs or IF they did end up missing the playoffs, they'd barely miss it such that they're lottery pick is a late lottery pick or essentially a mid-first-round pick. 

took me a while to respond because I went into shock when you didn't say the Lakers youth was as good as or better than Tatum.  so unlike you.

Honestly if the offer was Zubac/Kuzma/Ball/Ingram/Hart, 1-2 expiring + 4-5 picks (including 2 past 2023), I think NOLA would have taken it. That's a lot of value unless if we're willing to give up Tatum AND Brown/Smart (which maybe we aren't). Zubac is great and I think LAL was extremely dumb to trade him (similar to them dumping/letting go of Randle, Russell, Lopez, etc).

BUT, as I've said in this thread, I doubt LAL actually offered all that. They hoped the media and fan pressure would cause NOLA to do the trade but they didn't. Remember that first lowball offer we heard from LA's side (Ingram, Rondo, Beasley, Hart + 2 picks)? Their real offer was probably similar to that. They also tried lowballing for Kawhi and PG13 knowing they "wanted" LA but failed.

I don't think @moranis is wrong. Even a lot of LAL fans didn't want to trade their whole team for just AD. And of course NOLA knew Lonzo didn't want to play for them and that LAL only offered like 2 of their young core players (not all).
I don't think the Pels would take any trade from LA. The Pels twice asked the league to look at the Lakers for tampering with their under contract star Anthony Davis. Why in the world would New Orleans then take an offer from the Lakers for Davis? Why are they taking an offer from a team that was tampering with Davis? Why would they do that when there are probably 3 teams that will be able to put in better offers in the summer but can't make those offers before the trade deadline?

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I shudder to think of how good the Lakers could be if they had a competent front office. Can you imagine if they had someone of Danny’s ability making trades and then simply being able to sign whomever they didn’t trade for because of the desirability of the geography?

Mike

Or Jerry West.

It must kill them that West is in the same town but working for someone else.

Hope so! Screw the Fakers!

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Lakers being a complete disaster is my favorite thing about this season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's not like it's some big surprise NOLA wasn't ever going to actually make a trade with LA.  They were always going to wait until this summer, when more assets from various team's could be on the table.

Plenty of people called this at the time it was happening.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't think the Pels would take any trade from LA. The Pels twice asked the league to look at the Lakers for tampering with their under contract star Anthony Davis. Why in the world would New Orleans then take an offer from the Lakers for Davis? Why are they taking an offer from a team that was tampering with Davis? Why would they do that when there are probably 3 teams that will be able to put in better offers in the summer but can't make those offers before the trade deadline?

Personally, I think that Lakers offer (in bold) might be better than most other offers they'd get if they truly offered ALL of that. It has a lot in it. But yeah, it definitely seems like the Pelicans HATED the tactics by the Lakers so it certainly played a part I imagine. Tatum is the best asset available between the Lakers and Celtics in trade, but Kuzma and Ingram are both probably #2 and #3 respectively, Grizzlies Pick #4, then Jaylen Brown, and so on. (Or swap Grizzlies Pick at #3, Ingram #4 in that "ranking")
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:27:07 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
FO did not want to do any business with  the Lakers ,  do hated laker s ANY favors ....rebuild their franchise , make Lebron a hero , Magic a hero and give them your top five generational player for a bunch of maybe , that will get trounced by Lakers for next 10 years .   NONE of those LA scubs are selling any tickets ....ZeRO .....only Ball has any star appeal and His daddy said he isn't going to NO.   So , the only guy that helps fill your arena Ball ...isn't going to play or stay .  The Lakers picks were mid rounds .   Not worth it ....you send him east if you can ....like the Spurs did Kawhi .   No reason to help that bunch in LA .   I would not take old Le Fatty in on Davis ,