Author Topic: Shams: Pelicans had no intention of trading Davis (to LA) before deadline  (Read 4143 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I absolutely believe if they would have gotten an offer of all the young players and 4 1st round picks, they would have traded Davis to the Lakers.  The Lakers never offered that, so no deal was made.
you're about the only one who'd believe NO would give up a top-3 player for young players that are mediocre and 4 picks that are likely to be mid-firsts at best.   LA's youth hasn't accomplished anything in LA.  why would they think they'd start accomplishing anything in NO? 

At least the youth in Boston got to the ECF and would have been in the finals had they not had a historically bad shooting night in game 7.   

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I absolutely believe if they would have gotten an offer of all the young players and 4 1st round picks, they would have traded Davis to the Lakers.  The Lakers never offered that, so no deal was made.

While you have every right to believe that they would have accepted such an offer, you have no standing to say the Lakers "never offered that", unless you are Magic or Rob.

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I know Danny has a reputation for getting over on big trades. However, I feel the Lakers have fleeced the rest of the league for a heck of a lot longer. I remember how happy I was when David Stern vetoed the Chris Paul deal to the Lakers, as that was such a horrible trade proposal. For some reason, the Lakers think the rest of the league is supposed to cave to their trade demands, and everyone should help make them a better team.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's funny Jeanie Buss complains about how it's 'Not fair' that her team chemistry got messed up because of leaked trade discussions when LAL has been manipulating the press from day 1 and most specifically, Rich Paul, who had been trying to funnel AD to LA, completely ruined what should've been a playoff push for NOLA by starting this whole fiasco. Then, factor in that the Celtics clearly got messed up by the whole process as well, it's just an insane level of narcissism.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

While you have every right to believe that they would have accepted such an offer, you have no standing to say the Lakers "never offered that", unless you are Magic or Rob.
It was reported that that was the Pelicans counter-offer and that the Lakers never offered more than 2 1st's.  I don't believe either of those reports was disputed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
you're about the only one who'd believe NO would give up a top-3 player for young players that are mediocre and 4 picks that are likely to be mid-firsts at best.   LA's youth hasn't accomplished anything in LA.  why would they think they'd start accomplishing anything in NO? 

At least the youth in Boston got to the ECF and would have been in the finals had they not had a historically bad shooting night in game 7.
the last 2 of those 1st's were so far in the future that there was a very good chance they would have been high picks.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I never heard ANY FO people in Laker Land refute the Davis offer during the heat of the trade deadline, plus the Lakers Best and brightest talking heads and most trusted wif the inside scoop were say n the huge haul Magic was offering WAS legit.  The paid Laker fan media outlets were all say n the same thing .   Not one denial from Buss or Magic.  ....cause it was pretty much true Id say.

old Lady Buss clams are pure poppycock .   The Lakers on her watch are the worst evvv er hands down .  ZERO direction .  Im not sure they even know what they are trying to do .   Either play Bron and give him STAR vets , not junk washed up Stevenson and Rondo LOL. Or are they trying to bulid a team of youth .   Lakers are all over the place .  Gifting Zubac to Doc ... just stupid move,  if you want to make playoffs ,   maybe it was a present to get Doc to coach the Lakers . LOL.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

the last 2 of those 1st's were so far in the future that there was a very good chance they would have been high picks.
"so far in the future" does not mean "a very good chance they would have been high picks".  in reality, it gives them more time to improve so that they'd only be forking over late picks -- particularly if they still have Davis and some other FA's. 

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I wonder who will trade for Davis in the offseason

Because Celts are out

Unless Pelicans are good with an assortment of picks and Rozier, RW

Brown, Tatum, Smart are going nowhere

I wish this were true but two of those guys would go in a Davis trade.  There will be a ton of Davis suiters.  Especially if the Knicks get the 1st overall pick and are willing to trade it for Davis.  That is the darkhorse team.  If that happens then the Kyrie and Durant rumors will run rampant to NY.  It will be an interesting off season.  The C's can look vastly different depending on Kyrie and Al.  If Kyrie leaves and Al opts out it will be interesting what Danny can do to stay at the top of the East.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
As many have reported by now, I seriously doubt LAL actually offered all that the media claimed they did. Probably tried dealing them only 2 of Kuz/Ingram/Hart/Ball and not all, or just 1-2 picks instead of 4+. They hoped the Pelicans would cave from the media and fan pressure, which they didn’t.

I not sure about all that,  i think the FO of LA WAS everybit that dumb and they made the six player offer .   If they DID NOT ,  then why not deny the reports  back then .   No,  i think they thought the deal might go though and could not refute the massive deal in public , else NO thinks they are just clowning them.  They could not believe NO would not take the haul.   Now its an embarrassment to the quality of their players stock .....ones LeBron STILL will want gone to bring in more vet players. 

I think they offered everybit ...backs against the wall to do SOMETHInG right while LeFatty is there the first season . Magic and LeWhine were desperate to do something right ...so lets just throw money at the problem

Old lady Buss is jsut trying to do damage control .......kinda late ...so,i don't buy any of it .   Magic would have traded his Magic Bus ,  to get Davis .  No it would not have saved the season win wise , but it would have set them up for next year and saved Laker face and Magics blow hard claims.

Keep in mind too that Lonzo/LaVar said Lonzo wouldn't play in NOLA either. And I'm not saying LAL didn't make a big offer, but it probably wasn't as big as it was reported. Otherwise I agree with @moranis, they could have taken those 6-7 players + 4-5 picks.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

If somehow the Lakers win the lottery/move up the package they can offer will look a lot better.  I still think if the Knicks get the number 1 pick they are the team to beat if they are willing to move that pick.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

If somehow the Lakers win the lottery/move up the package they can offer will look a lot better.  I still think if the Knicks get the number 1 pick they are the team to beat if they are willing to move that pick.
they may be in the mix if they get #1 (or even top 3) but that depends on NO's infatuation with unproven potential over young players that have shown something in the league.   if they had Zinger to offer with it, I'd say they would probably be a very strong suitor but all they've got is that pick and some decent young guys but no one on the level of Tatum or Brown.

I wouldn't be broken up about AD going to NY because they'll need a LOT more than just AD to be any good.  they'd be heavily dependent on luring FA's to NY to play with AD and that's not an insignificant risk of failure.  Even if they did land Durant, that's a great duo but they need a lot more than just the 2 of them to be a contender.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I shudder to think of how good the Lakers could be if they had a competent front office. Can you imagine if they had someone of Danny’s ability making trades and then simply being able to sign whomever they didn’t trade for because of the desirability of the geography?

Mike

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

"so far in the future" does not mean "a very good chance they would have been high picks".  in reality, it gives them more time to improve so that they'd only be forking over late picks -- particularly if they still have Davis and some other FA's.
The Pelicans wanted unprotected picks in 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  6 years out is a very long time, especially since Lebron likely wouldn't be on the team, Davis if he is even on the team may be an albatross contract given his age and injury history, and coupled with the fact that the Lakers would be giving up all of their youth and eliminating half their draft picks so they won't be able to refill their roster aside from free agency (i.e. no draft or no trades).  I'd bet that the if that trade happened at least 1, if not more than 1 of those picks would have been lottery picks.  Remember what people were saying about those Nets picks when the trade was made.  Just some late 1st's and not worth much.  I get that Davis is younger, but he is also very injury prone. 

But the reason the Pelicans asked for all those picks is because the Lakers younger players don't have the super high end potential.  There isn't a Tatum there, so to counteract that, the Pelicans wanted to load up on unprotected 1st round picks.  I get why the Lakers wouldn't want to do that, but thems the breaks, and it doesn't mean the Pelicans acted in bad faith or weren't going to trade him under any circumstances.  Give them what they asked for and the trade happens.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The Pelicans wanted unprotected picks in 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  6 years out is a very long time, especially since Lebron likely wouldn't be on the team, Davis if he is even on the team may be an albatross contract given his age and injury history, and coupled with the fact that the Lakers would be giving up all of their youth and eliminating half their draft picks so they won't be able to refill their roster aside from free agency (i.e. no draft or no trades).  I'd bet that the if that trade happened at least 1, if not more than 1 of those picks would have been lottery picks.  Remember what people were saying about those Nets picks when the trade was made.  Just some late 1st's and not worth much.  I get that Davis is younger, but he is also very injury prone. 

But the reason the Pelicans asked for all those picks is because the Lakers younger players don't have the super high end potential.  There isn't a Tatum there, so to counteract that, the Pelicans wanted to load up on unprotected 1st round picks.  I get why the Lakers wouldn't want to do that, but thems the breaks, and it doesn't mean the Pelicans acted in bad faith or weren't going to trade him under any circumstances.  Give them what they asked for and the trade happens.
even if Lebron is on his last contract, no guarantee of that, he'd be around for a couple of those picks so they'd be unlikely to be lottery picks if he had AD as well.  the last 2 picks may not have Lebron around but no way the Lakers wouldn't move heaven and earth to land FA's to put around AD.  If they give up that much to get him, they're not going to squander his prime years wallowing in the lottery.   Even if they don't make a big splash in free agency and just sign good players with whatever cap space they have, AD with a decent supporting cast gets them into the playoffs or IF they did end up missing the playoffs, they'd barely miss it such that they're lottery pick is a late lottery pick or essentially a mid-first-round pick. 

took me a while to respond because I went into shock when you didn't say the Lakers youth was as good as or better than Tatum.  so unlike you.