Author Topic: Shams: Pelicans had no intention of trading Davis (to LA) before deadline  (Read 4144 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The New Orleans Pelicans had no intent to trade Anthony Davis before the trade deadline, especially not to the Los Angeles Lakers, according to sources.

The Lakers made several aggressive offers to the Pelicans involving Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart.

Magic Johnson criticized the Pelicans for negotiating in bad faith on Davis

https://theathletic.com/851318/2019/03/06/charania-plenty-of-blame-to-go-around-for-lakers-but-where-does-it-leave-them/

First san antonio ignores LA, now new Orleans does the same
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:53:14 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I thought some other news outlet said the deal was close to done until it fell apart.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I thought some other news outlet said the deal was close to done until it fell apart.

Yeah, probably a Lakers-based outlet  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
As many have reported by now, I seriously doubt LAL actually offered all that the media claimed they did. Probably tried dealing them only 2 of Kuz/Ingram/Hart/Ball and not all, or just 1-2 picks instead of 4+. They hoped the Pelicans would cave from the media and fan pressure, which they didn’t.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
While Jeanie Buss accused rival teams of placing Anthony Davis trade stories in the media to hurt the chemistry of the Los Angeles Lakers, others have taken a differing view.

“We get off the phone with (the Lakers), and a minute later, offers are out there,” one Pelicans source with direct knowledge of discussions told The Athletic.

“Those stories leak out, and it hurt our young players. It wasn’t fair,” Buss said at the Sloan Conference.

Buss also used the loaded term "fake news" during her Sloan appearance.

https://theathletic.com/851318/2019/03/06/charania-plenty-of-blame-to-go-around-for-lakers-but-where-does-it-leave-them/

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Really bizarre to have an owner say that trading for Davis was fake news -- 2 weeks after her President of the team accused the Pelicans of not operating in good faith.

Also great to see Shams weigh in. He's not on the LBJ payroll (Windhorst)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
While Jeanie Buss accused rival teams of placing Anthony Davis trade stories in the media to hurt the chemistry of the Los Angeles Lakers, others have taken a differing view.

“We get off the phone with (the Lakers), and a minute later, offers are out there,” one Pelicans source with direct knowledge of discussions told The Athletic.

“Those stories leak out, and it hurt our young players. It wasn’t fair,” Buss said at the Sloan Conference.

Buss also used the loaded term "fake news" during her Sloan appearance.

Boo hoo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's pathetic for the Lakers to be the ones complaining.  Their actions along with Lebron and his agent/buddy have caused major problems for three teams.  The NBA should thoroughly investigate the Lakers involvement for tampering.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
LA front office is sOOOOOOoOOo unprofessional

and

just PLAIN DUMB

Throwing all that money at old worn out Lefatty ,  ditching Lopez , Russell and the rest of the shooters ....for Rondo ,Stevenson. KpC and that group of has beens = 2.0 Cavs

LeBron has already made his imprint ....team destruction and now firing of Walton .

Magic Johnson = Pea Brain

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
No one wants to play with James..he always blame someone else if he loses..plus davis does go there" they still going be bad
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Really bizarre to have an owner say that trading for Davis was fake news -- 2 weeks after her President of the team accused the Pelicans of not operating in good faith.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?
I used to think Jeannie was a lot better option than her brothers, a good ownership option. I'm skeptical now after these comments. Delusional was used by Kevin Arnovitz to describe her attitude, a sentiment I agree with.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder who will trade for Davis in the offseason

Because Celts are out

Unless Pelicans are good with an assortment of picks and Rozier, RW

Brown, Tatum, Smart are going nowhere

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
As many have reported by now, I seriously doubt LAL actually offered all that the media claimed they did. Probably tried dealing them only 2 of Kuz/Ingram/Hart/Ball and not all, or just 1-2 picks instead of 4+. They hoped the Pelicans would cave from the media and fan pressure, which they didn’t.

I not sure about all that,  i think the FO of LA WAS everybit that dumb and they made the six player offer .   If they DID NOT ,  then why not deny the reports  back then .   No,  i think they thought the deal might go though and could not refute the massive deal in public , else NO thinks they are just clowning them.  They could not believe NO would not take the haul.   Now its an embarrassment to the quality of their players stock .....ones LeBron STILL will want gone to bring in more vet players. 

I think they offered everybit ...backs against the wall to do SOMETHInG right while LeFatty is there the first season . Magic and LeWhine were desperate to do something right ...so lets just throw money at the problem

Old lady Buss is jsut trying to do damage control .......kinda late ...so,i don't buy any of it .   Magic would have traded his Magic Bus ,  to get Davis .  No it would not have saved the season win wise , but it would have set them up for next year and saved Laker face and Magics blow hard claims.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I absolutely believe if they would have gotten an offer of all the young players and 4 1st round picks, they would have traded Davis to the Lakers.  The Lakers never offered that, so no deal was made.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip