Author Topic: Durant: Celtics will be fine in playoffs  (Read 5291 times)

Re: Durant: Celtics will be fine in playoffs
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Brian Windhorst actually talked about this today on ESPN, at the 5:08 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RjtIxdHYls

One thing that's becoming evident is that a lot of experts/journalists aren't as convinced Kyrie and KD are teaming up in NYK. It's possible that one goes there, or even both, but not as likely. Most seem to think either Durant stays or goes LAC. Kyrie stays or could go to Brooklyn. Not as much confidence on the Knicks landing a Kawhi, KD and/or Kyrie anymore.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Why would GSW help BOS create a super team? Has to be some incentive at least.

This has been discussed in other threads and opinions vary but the reason for GS doing it would be to get Hayward, two years removed from his injury, instead of losing Durant for nothing and not having any way of replacing him. Maybe they're confident enough in their core that they don't mind sending KD to Boston.

I don't know how you can justify Hayward for KD straight up... They aren't going to pay Hayward for 30 million for another year given how he is right now... That's why I mentioned Brown would probably have to be added in.

There wouldn't be a negotiation. KD can go the Warriors and say, "I'm going to New York and you get nothing or I'll opt in and go to Boston so you can get Hayward, who is at least a competent NBA player, now two years removed from his injury."

Either GS wants Hayward or they don't but there is no back and forth.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

One thing that's becoming evident is that a lot of experts/journalists aren't as convinced Kyrie and KD are teaming up in NYK. It's possible that one goes there, or even both, but not as likely. Most seem to think either Durant stays or goes LAC. Kyrie stays or could go to Brooklyn. Not as much confidence on the Knicks landing a Kawhi, KD and/or Kyrie anymore.

It's because the Knicks are a train wreck of an organization and always have been.

As you mentioned, I do think the Clippers are a big dark horse in landing at least one max player this summer (Durant, Kawhi or maybe both.)

It's also easy to see why. Everyone loves LA because of the limelight and weather, however at this moment the Clips appear much more stable than the Lakers and their 34 year old all-star. Clippers also have a better coach and are looking at moving into a new arena.

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
If I remember right doing a sign and trade would mean the Celtics would be hard-capped at around $133 million and would literally need to shed salary to get under the hard cap as Durant's and Kyrie's deals would put as over that. It also means the Celtics lose their Taxpayer MLE ability.

It would also seriously hamper Ainge's being able to add bodies to that team.

If Durant really wants to come here he would be best served opting into his last year and have GSW trade him to Boston at the $31.5 million figure he would get for that year. It would cost him many millions but he would be where he wanted to be.

To "match" Durant's salary in a trade, we'd have to ship out about 25M. Then if some folks also want Davis after that, still have to ship out about 21M. Yeah this whole thing sounds way too complicated (even moreso than trying to come up with an AD trade while keeping Brown AND Smart). What journalist(s) besides Jackie Mac (back in late-2018) and Ryan Bernardoni (@dangercart) have discussed this as a possibility and that Durant's interested?

Imagine if Ainge pulled off something like a trade for Anthony Davis and then sent him to Golden State for Durant?

So it would essentially be a 3 team deal

Pelicans get Tatum, Smart and picks.
Warriors get Davis
Celts get Durant.

That would be stupid lol.. why would we ever do that.

Because Durant is the better player than Davis and I could see Durant actually being more likely to re-sign in Boston than Davis would.

This is all crazy talk anyway because the chances of Durant coming to Boston are .000001%. Sadly, there's probably a better chance of Kyrie leaving than there is of us getting either Durant or Davis. But it's fun to speculate to some degree.

By the way, keep on rockin' with your "stupid" labeling.

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

It's because the Knicks are a train wreck of an organization and always have been.

As you mentioned, I do think the Clippers are a big dark horse in landing at least one max player this summer (Durant, Kawhi or maybe both.)

It's also easy to see why. Everyone loves LA because of the limelight and weather, however at this moment the Clips appear much more stable than the Lakers and their 34 year old all-star. Clippers also have a better coach and are looking at moving into a new arena.

Personally, if I had to make predictions, I think Kyrie stays here (shocking, right!), Durant goes to the Clippers and Kawhi stays put in Toronto. I don't know if LAC has the ability to create another max spot but if they can, then maybe Kemba or even Kawhi can join KD in LAC and they rule LA (not Lebron's Lakers).

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Personally, if I had to make predictions, I think Kyrie stays here (shocking, right!), Durant goes to the Clippers and Kawhi stays put in Toronto. I don't know if LAC has the ability to create another max spot but if they can, then maybe Kemba or even Kawhi can join KD in LAC and they rule LA (not Lebron's Lakers).

The one player-team pairing I’m most confident in is Kawhi to the Clippers.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 09:22:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I hope you're right about Kyrie.

My prediction on Kyrie is 50/50 (50% chance he stays in Boston/50% chance he goes to the Knicks)

My prediction on Durant is 60% he stays in Golden State, 30% chance he goes to the Clippers, 10% chance he goes to New York (and he only goes to the Knicks if Kyrie signs there.)

As for Kawhi, again 50/50 (he either stays in Toronto or goes to the Clippers.) Like Kyrie here in Boston, I think a big factor will be how the regular season ends in determining if he stays in Toronto.

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

The one player-team pairing I’m most confident in is Kawhi to the Clippers.

Certainly possible. Basically I'm confident one of KD/Kawhi goes to Clippers.