Author Topic: NBA Summer League 2023  (Read 17516 times)

Re: NBA Summer League 2023
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2023, 02:27:10 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Nikola Jovic 21pts 8reb 3ast
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

I watched a tiny bit of this cause it was on ESPN and it was such garbage I couldn’t even keep it on. Don’t think stats from it have much more use than a ymca game

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2023, 10:11:29 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

I watched a tiny bit of this cause it was on ESPN and it was such garbage I couldn’t even keep it on. Don’t think stats from it have much more use than a ymca game

Yeah, that game was bad. The Utah/OKC game was entertaining, though. I was mostly interested in seeing how Brandon Miller and Chet Holmgren looked in their games. Was also surprised to see that Keegan Murray was playing for the Sacramento SL team.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2023, 05:17:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Last August, Holmgren suffered a Lisfranc injury in his right foot during a pro-am game in Seattle. He had one surgery to repair the injury, and then another to remove the screws from his foot. That injury and those surgeries sidelined him for all of last season.

But now, as Holmgren embarks on his rookie year (take 2), his foot injury, named after a French surgeon, is behind him.

“The foot feels great,” Holmgren said. “It’s like the injury never happened, other than everything I had to go through, obviously.

“But at this point, if you erased my memory, I wouldn’t know that anything happened to my foot.”

Sounds good. Recovery wise I mean.

even as Holmgren worked himself back into game shape.

“Conditioning wise, there’s millions of hurdles you have to go through in the process of returning to play,” Holmgren said. “Not being able to play a game for a year, it’s really hard to test and see where you are. And then coming up to the elevation, that just adds another factor to it.

“It’s definitely something I have to continue to work on, and I’ll be ready by the time training camp starts. I feel like I’ll have myself prepared to be in in-season shape.”

Holmgren said he was cleared to play five-on-five “right around the end of the season last year,” but playing in pick-up games is different from playing in summer league games, which is different from playing in NBA games.

Healthy but not in game shape.

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2023, 10:30:18 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

I know it's summer league, but Jaquez Jr. looked really smooth out there. I hope he has a long and successful career in Portland.

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2023, 01:14:27 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

All the latest news is a Lilliard to Miami trade is pretty unlikely at this point. I’m also a bit confused by everyone acting like Miami always gets what they want. They obviously had Lebron and bosh team up with Wade but that was like ten years ago and pretty random. Butler basically signed there as a free agent. They drafted bam and the rest of their roster is guys from waiver wire or drafted late. What do people think has actually happened? Is this all just based on Lebron in 2014 or whatever?

I know it's summer league, but Jaquez Jr. looked really smooth out there. I hope he has a long and successful career in Portland.

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2023, 06:13:55 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

I agree, I was impressed. I was also impressed with Keegan Murray and Kenny Lofton JR is in an interesting player, though I don’t know if he can defend at all. Jovic looked ok, but there was a stretch he was getting eating up defensively which isn’t a good sign.

I wasn’t that impressed with Chet or Brandon Miller, and Jalen Williams is a stud that we all know. I have my doubts if Chet’s body can hold up against NBA big men as he was taken to the cleaners a handful of times down low, and I have doubts if Miller can create another separation consistently on his moves to be a star and has such a low release. This is all from just 1 summer league game though. Lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 06:23:29 AM by JBcat »

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

I agree, I was impressed. I was also impressed with Keegan Murray and Kenny Lofton JR is in an interesting player, though I don’t know if he can defend at all. Jovic looked ok, but there was a stretch he was getting eating up defensively which isn’t a good sign.

I wasn’t that impressed with Chet or Brandon Miller, and Jalen Williams is a stud that we all know. I have my doubts if Chet’s body can hold up against NBA big men as he was taken to the cleaners a handful of times down low, and I have doubts if Miller can create another separation consistently on his moves to be a star and has such a low release. This is all from just 1 summer league game though. Lol

Williams and Murray still playing summer league this year is massively unfair. Holmgren's skinniness was jarring. I really wonder if guys like him or Jordan Walsh can actually put on any weight at all.

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2023, 02:39:04 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Holmgren is a toothpick. He bears no resemblance to Walsh.

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2023, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
Holmgren is a toothpick. He bears no resemblance to Walsh.

Yeah, Holmgren is definitely even skinnier than Walsh. I just brought up Walsh because I noticed how thin he was the past couple weeks and was wondering how much weight he could put on. Also, maybe Grant's comment that Walsh is "built like a bug" got into my head.

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2023, 05:43:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Jaime Jaquez 22pts

Williams and Murray still playing summer league this year is massively unfair. Holmgren's skinniness was jarring. I really wonder if guys like him or Jordan Walsh can actually put on any weight at all.

Holmgren reportedly put on 13lbs. From 190 to 203.  :D
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2023, 06:42:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I still don’t believe you can really draw any meaning from summer league and history has kind of bore that out but Brandon miller does look pretty bad lol

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2023, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Banton is going to be playing for Boston's 2023 NBA Summer League squad in Las Vegas.

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2023, 07:45:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Podziemski with 23pts and 5stls.

Wow. B Miller only 3pts but 7ast in just 26min. The assists are an impressive figure. Only 3 shots taken though. That would be the lowest on the team. Nnaji has taken 2 but in only 16min and he is a garbage man.

Happy to see Podziemski do well. I am rooting for him.

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2023, 08:10:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
At this rate, Brandon Miller will foul out of actual games within 20 minutes  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2023, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
At this rate, Brandon Miller will foul out of actual games within 20 minutes  :laugh:

Lots of fouls. 7 assists is pretty impressive, though. Not really sure why Miller only took 4 shots in 28 minutes, but he is shooting nearly 50% from the field and 3pt. Good handle, too. I think Brandon is going to be a good player.