Author Topic: Sox-Rays Series  (Read 12937 times)

Re: Sox-Rays Series
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 11:31:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am starting to wonder if we can give the pitching much credit tonight, or if both teams offenses are just not feeling it.  This is getting rediculous.

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
uh oh, here comes Timlin

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 11:50:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
If Timlin is on the playoff roster, I think I might jump off the Tito bandwagon.

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
It's getting interesting again.  Percival taken out by the trainer.

But alas, a loss.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:10:26 AM by DKClassic »

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Francona buddy what are you doing!??!

You have a guy like pedroia red hot as your 4th guy , then you drop him back to the 2nd slot where he has been just above average?? no knock on lowell or youk but you have to ride pedroias streak in the 4th spot

We lost tonite cuz mike timlin sukz and should retire. But also cuz francona doesn't know how to simply coach

lineup is easy till drew comesback

ellsbury
lowrie
ortiz
pedrioa
youk
lowell
kotsay
tek
crisp

we won so many games with this lineup, why mess with it ??

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 03:18:30 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
 One thing for sure,the two teams are about evenly matched this season.The playoffs will be interesting to see.

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 04:37:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Francona buddy what are you doing!??!

You have a guy like pedroia red hot as your 4th guy , then you drop him back to the 2nd slot where he has been just above average?? no knock on lowell or youk but you have to ride pedroias streak in the 4th spot

We lost tonite cuz mike timlin sukz and should retire. But also cuz francona doesn't know how to simply coach

lineup is easy till drew comesback

ellsbury
lowrie
ortiz
pedrioa
youk
lowell
kotsay
tek
crisp

we won so many games with this lineup, why mess with it ??
It's probably just an oversight but I find it hard to lend credence to your opinion of Francona when you forget to put the biggest run producer of the last 35 games for the Red Sox in your lineup.

Where exactly is Jason Bay?

Also, you were quite down on the bullpen about two weeks or so ago, how do you feel about them now? As I have been saying, I think this series showed the Sox bullpen is one of the best in the league. I'll take Papelbon, Masterson, Okajima, Delcarmen, and Lopez as a five man bullpen over any other in the league. I think the Sox could have 3-4 players in their pen that could be star closers on other teams.

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 07:24:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
What a frustrating series. It seemed as though the Rays were begging to be laid to rest and we let them off the hook... Not an encouraging sign.

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202

Ugh, f'n Ugh
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1620
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tough loss last night.  1/2 game back would've obviously been a heckuva lot better than 2 1/2.

However, there was some incredible pitching out of the bullpen last night. Masterson and Delcarman, in particular.  These guys are gonna be asked to step up big time down the stretch and in the playoffs, and last night was a huge step in the right direction for these guys.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 09:49:13 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Last night was a game screaming for some "small ball" and the Sox couldn't/wouldn't do any of it.  Credit the Rays with some good pitching, but the Sox could not move a runner all night long.

It's getting to Big Papi's turn to put the team on his back for a while.  Pedroia can't do it all!
Yup

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 10:43:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Last night was a game screaming for some "small ball" and the Sox couldn't/wouldn't do any of it.  Credit the Rays with some good pitching, but the Sox could not move a runner all night long.

It's getting to Big Papi's turn to put the team on his back for a while.  Pedroia can't do it all!

I agree about the smallball.  I think without Manny, and with Papi clearly a shadow of his former self, this team has transformed a bit.  They need to start manufacturing runs a little more.  They have plenty of guys who can drive in runs, but they need to be putting them in better positions to do it, rather than just counting on home runs.

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 10:45:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I agree about the smallball.  I think without Manny, and with Papi clearly a shadow of his former self, this team has transformed a bit.  They need to start manufacturing runs a little more.  They have plenty of guys who can drive in runs, but they need to be putting them in better positions to do it, rather than just counting on home runs.

Youk's double play was killer.  That's a bunt in the National League, plain & simple.  Instead, we end up with a runner on third and two outs.

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Youk's double play was killer.  That's a bunt in the National League, plain & simple.  Instead, we end up with a runner on third and two outs.

Well, I think there are a few players you still let swing away...and Youk would be one of them (the others I would say would be Bay, Pedroia, Lowell, and Ortiz).

When you have your cleanup hitter in there, you want to give them a shot to drive the ball.  Although it does look like Youk is slowing down a bit.  I hope they give him an extra day off at some point soon.

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Well, I think there are a few players you still let swing away...and Youk would be one of them (the others I would say would be Bay, Pedroia, Lowell, and Ortiz).

When you have your cleanup hitter in there, you want to give them a shot to drive the ball.  Although it does look like Youk is slowing down a bit.  I hope they give him an extra day off at some point soon.

True.  I actually mentioned to my roommate as that at-bat was starting, whether you'd try a bunt or let him swing away there?  We both said "Swing Away". Unfortunately, the worst-case scenario unfolded.  It would've been a great time to bunt but totally understandable with Youk at bat to let him swing away.  It just drives you nuts because you know how a bunt would be perfect for that situation.